Garry Monks Contract

36 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

The Cowley's have'nt really set Huddersfield ablaze with Premiere league players.

In stead of changing the manager every 10 months, and spending what money we have on 'New' players, we should be building the club from the bottom up.

Huddersfield’s Premier League players had them tumbling to a second relegation. They have done well to stabilise that and they are looking at other avenues for players. A bit like what they would’ve done here but I guess the DC influence on transfer decisions put them off. They probably want to be able to bring players in from the lower leagues and that hasn’t been DCs way so far.

1 minute ago, Jim said:

If the chairman had managed to hang on to the only decent manager he’s appointed since Carlos we wouldn’t be in the situation you’re talking about? Whether Monk stays or not the chances of us appointing a decent manager under the current regime are next to none?

There was nothing DC could do about Bruce going just because of who it was. Bruce could’ve been given 20m to spend here and he’d still have gone

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jim said:

If the chairman had managed to hang on to the only decent manager he’s appointed since Carlos we wouldn’t be in the situation you’re talking about? Whether Monk stays or not the chances of us appointing a decent manager under the current regime are next to none?

We are on the same side, that's why we should keep Monk if we can. No one better than him will be attracted to the club in its current state.

Just our luck that Newcastle and Bruce's stars aligned just when we finally found someone who could handle the job. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

We are on the same side, that's why we should keep Monk if we can. No one better than him will be attracted to the club in its current state.

Just our luck that Newcastle and Bruce's stars aligned just when we finally found someone who could handle the job. 

The other point of view is, if he goes we couldn't do any worse than what we have now, we are in free fall on the pitch

Guest LittleG

Looking at the performances and results since Xmas, I'm afraid it's time he was moved on. Nobody constantly wants change, however it's no good keeping a person in charge if he is not up to the job. Nor should we keep him because "there is nobody better", I'm sure there is because if he's the best we can get then god  help the rest. 

Regarding not having his own backroom staff, didn't DC come out recently and state that Monk had not been stopped from bringing his own men in; perhaps nobody wants to join him.

Edited by LittleG

18 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

If we let Monk bring in players in the Summer as we are going to have a big turnaround with OOC players leaving then it’s unfair to then sack him and pass those players on to someone else. 

It’s either got to be get rid of Monk now and let any new man plan the summer rebuild or if not then keep Monk on. It’s counter productive to get to the Summer and then sack Monk because we would be behind the 8 ball then in terms of recruitment as teams will already have the upper hand.

I think a big factor for Monk is if he can get his own coaching staff in. If so then there is then no hiding place for him. Right now he could say he’s being hindered on that front.

The problem with saying sack him now is that we do not know which division we will e in next season or if we will start it on minus points. Difficult to persuade the type of manager we want with that hanging over us.

17 hours ago, Road Runner said:

The same thing happened with Carlos, Bullen, Jos then Bullen again and now Monk. 

Both Carlos and Jos left/sacked/mutual. Bullen went back to coach and Bruce did one. 

Carlos - was going to spill the beans but didn't. 

Bullen in his first spell said something is fundamentally wrong with the players and needed someone in urgent to sort it out. 

Jos was getting more frustrated and banished certain players to the u23s

Monk has said certain players shouldn't be at the club and the structure is wrong. 

All these managers left and the only ones to remain are the players. 

The manager isn't the problem, I'm more inclined to let Monk put his stamp on the squad and build a team not a team we have. 

Sack Monk and we go around again and who would come in in this current situation? 

Carlos had two good seasons and lost interest when his head was turned due to prior interest from a Premier League team - he lost his interest and focus and didn't want to miss his PL chance.

Bullen's 2nd spell was won 3, lost 3 however, most people acknowledge that the main problem with him is he has no managerial experience and when you have been a coach at a club for so long the relationship when being a manager is totally different.

Jos was rubbish and continues to be rubbish in his current job.

Monk has achieved nothing in management and I expect him to achieve the same here.

Yes we need a clear out of players but the current squad is far different to the ones where players were highlighted as the problem under previous managers. This season regular starters have included Dawson, Palmer, Fox, Iorfa, Borner, Harris, Murphy, Fletcher, Bannan - many of those weren't here or involved regularly under previous managers - which of them would you describe as bad influences? 

Monk blames the players regularly - he brings in 3 players in January and none can get a regular start or have a real positive impact. He plays Forestieri as a wing-back. We play a negative style and have scored twice in the first half at home under him. 

He had a summer to build his own side at Middlesbrough - spent millions and was sacked before Christmas. 

Show me a few positive signs and any career track record that he is the right man to take us forward. 

1 hour ago, Mystic Neg said:

I’d like to see us take a punt on Ryan Lowe which would make even more sense if we’re in League One next season but I doubt that Chansiri or his advisers have this sort of knowledge?

Problem with Chansiri is you’re going to get constant change year after year in the managers role because of the way he operates? The rolling year contract he seems to insist on?,  the way we recruit? There’s no long term plan and probably never will be?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

OK!. Monk goes, who come's in?.

Who is out there to do the job, which 'Name' manager want's the job?.

It's no good just saying 'Sack the manager' with out having some one come in to fill the role until the next time we have a run of bad result's.

I have just finished reading 'Our lowest ebb', 1973-76, 47 years ago, and guess what, in all that time we, as a club and fans, have learned absolutely nothing.

We are in nearly as bad a situation now as we were then.

47 friggin years and we have built nothing to move the club forwards both on and off the field of play.

I blame Monk and DC for it all.

I know where you are coming from but you can't blame Monk for it, he'd not been here a year, DC has only been here for 5 years. The malaise goes back a long way. DC and Monk are only the latest in a long line of people who didn't sort the problems.

We've had high points in those 47 years, we didn't capitalise on them. Mistakes have been made.

There are only a few consistently high achieving clubs in the country, Man U , Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea. etc. I remember all of those having bad patches at times. Man City were nowhere not that many years ago. Why those clubs have consistently succeeded in remaining reasonably successful would be an interesting study. It can't just be a large and fanatical fan baseor Newcastle would be up there.

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Huddersfield’s Premier League players had them tumbling to a second relegation. They have done well to stabilise that and they are looking at other avenues for players. A bit like what they would’ve done here but I guess the DC influence on transfer decisions put them off. They probably want to be able to bring players in from the lower leagues and that hasn’t been DCs way so far.

They've done OK at Huddersfield. They are an improvement on the previous manager no doubt but that was a poor appointment, just trying to get Wagner mark 2.

They are still only one result above the relegation zone.

15 hours ago, torryowl said:

I don't know how long the contract is but i'll be amazed if he's still here at the end of it …...

That's a safe bet with a rolling contract.lol

• Haha 1

I don't care whether Monk stays or goes but maybe the best option is keep him until we know what the EFL sactions are and what division we are in. Once that is sorted we might have a chance of attracting a manager with some proper credentials.

I don't see any top manager taking us on when they don't know what the job is going to be. All we can attract at present is some has been on the slide or someone desperate fot a start in management.

If we get to the end of this season we might know where we stand.

33 minutes ago, prowl said:

I know where you are coming from but you can't blame Monk for it, he'd not been here a year, DC has only been here for 5 years. The malaise goes back a long way. DC and Monk are only the latest in a long line of people who didn't sort the problems.

We've had high points in those 47 years, we didn't capitalise on them. Mistakes have been made.

There are only a few consistently high achieving clubs in the country, Man U , Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea. etc. I remember all of those having bad patches at times. Man City were nowhere not that many years ago. Why those clubs have consistently succeeded in remaining reasonably successful would be an interesting study. It can't just be a large and fanatical fan baseor Newcastle would be up there.

The Monk/DC  thing was said TiC.

I agree we have had some slight success's  in that time, we have had money to spend, but, in my view, we wasted money by just investing in the 1st team and never looking any further than the next season.

Look at the other side of the city, they invested their money on the ground, training facilities, scouting and coaches to bring though players and cashing in on them.

We just wasted money on trying to buy success then safety. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The problem with saying sack him now is that we do not know which division we will e in next season or if we will start it on minus points. Difficult to persuade the type of manager we want with that hanging over us.

Carlos had two good seasons and lost interest when his head was turned due to prior interest from a Premier League team - he lost his interest and focus and didn't want to miss his PL chance.

Bullen's 2nd spell was won 3, lost 3 however, most people acknowledge that the main problem with him is he has no managerial experience and when you have been a coach at a club for so long the relationship when being a manager is totally different.

Jos was rubbish and continues to be rubbish in his current job.

Monk has achieved nothing in management and I expect him to achieve the same here.

Yes we need a clear out of players but the current squad is far different to the ones where players were highlighted as the problem under previous managers. This season regular starters have included Dawson, Palmer, Fox, Iorfa, Borner, Harris, Murphy, Fletcher, Bannan - many of those weren't here or involved regularly under previous managers - which of them would you describe as bad influences? 

Monk blames the players regularly - he brings in 3 players in January and none can get a regular start or have a real positive impact. He plays Forestieri as a wing-back. We play a negative style and have scored twice in the first half at home under him. 

He had a summer to build his own side at Middlesbrough - spent millions and was sacked before Christmas. 

Show me a few positive signs and any career track record that he is the right man to take us forward. 

Just what did 'Carlos' achieve before or after  us?, + he had lost the plot well before he was tapped up by Swansea.

Yet he is looked on as a good manager for us, he friggin failed here after having the highest amount of money to spend than any other manager in the history of the club, just like Francis did.

Edited by adelphi1867
  • Like 1

if we could make a change id go for wagner his club in germany aint doing that well at min so could he be sacked? he got hudds up with 3rd lowest budget got players in from all over ,and would be trusted with big clubs young players on loan . can you imagine monks face though if that happened , last time they crossed paths monk tried to give wagner a crack . 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

if we could make a change id go for wagner his club in germany aint doing that well at min so could he be sacked? he got hudds up with 3rd lowest budget got players in from all over ,and would be trusted with big clubs young players on loan . can you imagine monks face though if that happened , last time they crossed paths monk tried to give wagner a crack . 

Wagner is not a bad option.

12 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

Dont think DC has any intention of making a change.

Wagner may well be on the radar if a change is made, although not exactly pulling up any trees at Schalke and to be fair promotion aside (which I acknowledge is an achievement) his win percentage average to say the best.

The one I'd go for is Dean Smith if he leaves Villa, the manager I wanted here before he went there. 

26 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Just what did 'Carlos' achieve before or after  us?, + he had lost the plot well before he was tapped up by Swansea.

Yet he is looked on as a good manager for us, he friggin failed here after having the highest amount of money to spend than any other manager in the history of the club, just like Francis did.

Thought this thread was about Monk, I was merely referencing Carlos in reply to another post to highlight how what we are getting with Monk now is different from under his management.

I'll answer your question though, yes he ultimately failed in his aim, but we finished 6th and 4th under him. As you point out, he had the luxury of spending more than anyone else for us but in comparison with the rest of the division, our budget was outside the top 6 in both of those seasons. 

Back to Monk though, which is what the majority of my post, and this thread is about.......

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, BFR said:

Robins and Mowbray have both worked well under weird owners, Robinson at Oxford seems to do alright although he probably moans more than Monk, Chris Hughton might have revised his expectations of getting a PL job. That of course is based on not knowing the budget for next year, what league we'll be in or any other punishments that might get handed out. 

The problem with Robins, Mowbray and Robinson is that they are all currently in roles at other clubs. So are they real alternatives in our current situation? Perhaps they are, maybe they would come if asked, but it's likely we would go for an out of work manager given the fact compensation would need to be paid to someone currently managing another club.

Chris Hughton would be my number one target, but he's turned us down twice already (I think it's twice).

At least you've given it some thought.

3 reasons why Monk won't be replaced.

1. We aren't attractive enough to anyone better.

2. The Chairman doesn't move on Managers until at least 2 seasons too late.

3. We can't afford to pay compensation to another club.

Time to get behind Monk and stop undermining him.

18 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

3 reasons why Monk won't be replaced.

1. We aren't attractive enough to anyone better.

2. The Chairman doesn't move on Managers until at least 2 seasons too late.

3. We can't afford to pay compensation to another club.

Time to get behind Monk and stop undermining him.

Who is undermining him? Is is the fans who are responsible for two 5-0 defeats in 2020?

You can't force fans to get behind a manager if they think he is doing an awful job. They don't need to be told what to do.