Confirmed - OOC players not eligible from July 1st

Guest Grandad

Guest paulvcooke
29 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I think people will be surprised by just how many out of contract players still play for there clubs beyond 30th June.

I'll be amazed if any out of contract players play for their ex-employers after the expiration of their contracts.

On the 1st of July they are not 'their clubs' anymore, just a club the used to player for.

Imagine if they get injured, would they be insured?

May be proved wrong, but I think they would be mad to play for free for a club that was about to make them unemployed anyway.

Take the emotion of them being footballers out of it and just think of it as another job from an employment point of view.

Would this be tolerated or I've seen some expected of them to work for free in any other occupation?

I don't expect to see any out of contract swfc players to play or even work for the club after 30th June, and I can't think of one good reason why they should. 

21 minutes ago, paulvcooke said:

I'll be amazed if any out of contract players play for their ex-employers after the expiration of their contracts.

On the 1st of July they are not 'their clubs' anymore, just a club the used to player for.

May be proved wrong, but I think they would be mad to play for free for a club that was about to make them unemployed anyway.

Take the emotion of them being footballers out of it and just think of it as another job from an employment point of view.

Would this be tolerated or I've seen some expected of them to work for free in any other occupation?

I don't expect to see any out of contract swfc players to play or even work for the club after 30th June, and I can't think of one good reason why they should. 

They  will just extend their contracts until the end of the season, if they want to

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, the third man said:

They  will just extend their contracts until the end of the season, if they want to

I can only see that being the case with any players that have absolutely nothing else on the horizon

Unless they negotiate ridiculous deals with all sorts of bonuses built in

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, paulvcooke said:

All are training now or we would have heard otherwise like we have with Lyle Taylor. So why would they do that have all the tests and then refuse to play.

Maybe they are just fulfilling there contract till it ends then they are going to say they are not going to continue.

But Taylor has literally just opened the door for all players to say. Yeah I am not playing either.

I am expecting 80% of them at least to play until the end of the season. Also dont forget they are all probably desperate to get back playing again. most wouldn't have played a match for about 6 months if they wait till the new season starts. I just dont see it. 

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

I think people will be surprised by just how many out of contract players still play for there clubs beyond 30th June.

agree with this. Think a few of them will be hoping to fool their clubs in to changing their minds and handing out new deals. 

• Like 1

I imagine the only ones that will play for us again will be those who extend their contracts by a year or more. I cannot see them signing for a month and be a nasty leg break away from finishing their career without a last pay day.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

agree with this. Think a few of them will be hoping to fool their clubs in to changing their minds and handing out new deals. 

Players don't think like that - rightly

They're not gonna be like "well i've been here 3 years and they have decided not to offer me a new contract - but hey! i've got another 4 weeks to change their mind"

There will a be a LOT of players out of work - for sure

Some may play on for another month just out of pragmatism for another month's pay

I'm guessing a lot will not jeopardise the potential of a longer term deal just to secure another months pay 

If this is true and we lose half our starting line up for the last few games then that's me done for this season. Not setting my foot back inside the ground and asking for DC to refund my ST.

Might even give start of next season a miss too?

23 minutes ago, jerseyowl said:

I imagine the only ones that will play for us again will be those who extend their contracts by a year or more. I cannot see them signing for a month and be a nasty leg break away from finishing their career without a last pay day.

let’s hope Nuhiu isn’t one of those that extends his contract, actually the only one I really want to stay is Fletcher, time to clear as much deadwood as we can. 

1 minute ago, apswfcowl said:

If this is true and we lose half our starting line up for the last few games then that's me done for this season. Not setting my foot back inside the ground and asking for DC to refund my ST.

I don’t think you will have a choice on returning with the whole virus situation. Think it will be a long time until any of us can watch live football in person. 

5 minutes ago, apswfcowl said:

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

I don’t think you will have a choice on returning with the whole virus situation. Think it will be a long time until any of us can watch live football in person. 

Think you might get a whoosh for that mate, joke seems to have gone over your head.....

1 hour ago, Etchesketch said:

Do we know that the senior players already know that hey won't  get a new contract or are we just presuming ? I don't  think they know yet.

If they're going to be offered a new contract they have to be informed by the 3rd Saturday in May, so they will know by now.

In a normal season if a club is negotiating new contracts, it happens towards the end of the season. Unless it's a really valuable player and a club wants to keep them or stop them leaving for nothing, then negotiations can start months before the end of a players contract.

Didn't Monk say in January that he'd told the ones that weren't going to be offered new contracts?

26 minutes ago, scram said:

Players don't think like that - rightly

They're not gonna be like "well i've been here 3 years and they have decided not to offer me a new contract - but hey! i've got another 4 weeks to change their mind"

There will a be a LOT of players out of work - for sure

Some may play on for another month just out of pragmatism for another month's pay

I'm guessing a lot will not jeopardise the potential of a longer term deal just to secure another months pay 

80 or 90% of footballers play football for there love of the game. Very few just go chasing the money. 

When finishing the season for there clubs. Am I getting paid for this last months work wont even cross there minds or how do you explain players at clubs that dont pay there players for months and months still carrying on playing.

You are talking as if all the out of contract players are just going to up and leave because there clubs aren't wanting them anymore. They are professional. Only a select few will do it to not jeopardize future deals. The majority will play.

Chris Brunt has been told he can leave. But apparently he trained harder than ever before after being told. And he is one who may struggle to get a club because or age and wage demands. If he gets injured hes got no chance. Has he told West Brom. Well that's me done then.

They will be some. But clubs aren't going to lose all there out of contract players.