Did Anyone Go To This Game

46 minutes ago, Lythamowl said:

yes, four of us left stannington college early and walked from hillsborough corner. What a night!

You walked it all the way from Hillsborough Corner?

Legend. What did you do for the replay, hike via the North face of the Eiger?

• Haha 1

God yes I remember that night. I can’t remember how it happened but my mate and I were in the Leps with the Liverpool fans. Choked down a cheer when we scored our first. Half choked down a cheer on the second. Let out and audible screech when we almost got a third. Got some funny looks from the scousers but no argy bargy. They were a good natured lot in fact. 

On 07/06/2020 at 15:10, Grandad said:

I'm doubting myself now.

Felt sure Toshack was trying to put it into keepers hands and it went over him

Need a programme from the next home game with a match report

Had a bit of time on my hands, lockdown and that, and checked it out. Match reports in the Coventry FA Cup programme (which until this year was the last time we'd beaten a top flight team in the FA Cup when we were outside it) didn't go into much detail in those days, it just says "Toshack headed Bannister's cross past his own keeper".

It also reports on the Liverpool game, and mentions a couple of incidents that I'd forgotten, not sure if they've been mentioned in this thread - Hansen handballing and it being ruled to be outside the area with video confirming it to be inside, and a Lyons goal being disallowed for an off the ball "foul" by Bannister. And then unsurprisingly they got a soft late penalty, fancy that, Liverpool benefiting from dodgy decisons...  

13 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Had a bit of time on my hands, lockdown and that, and checked it out. Match reports in the Coventry FA Cup programme (which until this year was the last time we'd beaten a top flight team in the FA Cup when we were outside it) didn't go into much detail in those days, it just says "Toshack headed Bannister's cross past his own keeper".

My recollection is of it being a long, hopeful ball which Toshack could easily have left but he tried to head it back to the goalie. Except the goalie had come out and so it looped over his head into the net. Just a lack of communication but in view of who scored it it was pretty funny.

The Steve Gritt one, now that was class. Brilliant chip from the edge of the area just inside the angle of post and bar. Best own goal I've ever seen live.

19 hours ago, alanharper said:

You walked it all the way from Hillsborough Corner?

Legend. What did you do for the replay, hike via the North face of the Eiger?

I considered it but decided the inter city owl coach was the better offer........😎

Guest Grandad
1 hour ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

My recollection is of it being a long, hopeful ball which Toshack could easily have left but he tried to head it back to the goalie. Except the goalie had come out and so it looped over his head into the net. Just a lack of communication but in view of who scored it it was pretty funny.

The Steve Gritt one, now that was class. Brilliant chip from the edge of the area just inside the angle of post and bar. Best own goal I've ever seen live.

I've thought it was Toshack who did the chip for years and years. But it really was the most sublime goal

Cheers alanharper