Did Anyone Go To This Game

Went to both games , thinking about the first one gives me a warm fuzzy feeling remembering what it was like to support a team that was so committed and full of intent , my abiding memory of the replay was how good our support was...……..and how good Ian f***in Rush was !!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, York_Owl said:

A superb diving header! 

I was at both the Swansea game and the Liverpool game. Bizarrely that own goal and the blizzard is about all I can remember of both games.

Me too more or less , other than standing in the lep triangle having to look through the Perspex on the side of the north stand cos it was that packed (only time i’ve Ever stood there ).funny how things stand out in your memory, I struggle to remember what happened yesterday! 

• Like 1

Guest Grandad
22 hours ago, alanharper said:

I was one of the 13k at the Swansea game the Saturday before in a blizzard as well - in the space of 3 days I saw the sparsest Kop I'd ever seen, and the most packed one. 

Same. Both games and the replay at Anfield. I was only 17 and a student. Can you imagine what the equivalent would cost now?

Edited by Grandad

Guest Grandad

Me and my mate stayed on the kop for the second half against Swansea - mainly just to be able to say that we did.

I had one of those stupid Parkas that you could zip right up past your face and make a tiny little hole to look through

Decision backfired massively as my Dad had taken delivery of a new company car a few weeks before, after the game he took one look at me in my dripping wet coat and made me catch the bus home

28 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I had one of those stupid Parkas that you could zip right up past your face and make a tiny little hole to look through

The "snorkel" hood

Ever tried riding a pushbike in one of those things - in a gale?  lol

Guest Grandad
26 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

The "snorkel" hood

Ever tried riding a pushbike in one of those things - in a gale?  lol

Haha

Yes 😂

On 06/06/2020 at 10:04, Grandad said:

Me and my mate stayed on the kop for the second half against Swansea - mainly just to be able to say that we did.

Decision backfired massively as my Dad had taken delivery of a new company car a few weeks before, after the game he took one look at me in my dripping wet coat and made me catch the bus home

Surprised I never got run over in those, not only could I not see anything I couldn't hear anything either.

I was at both Liverpool matches and the Swansea match, I can distinctly remember me and my best mate laughing at an older lad from school in just his T shirt sat on the front row of the "covered" top tier of the "old man's stand" for the Swansea game.

I also remember Toshacks own goal, but my memory was a lovely chip over the keeper rather than a diving header, it's a long time since so it's probably my memory that's wrong.

The return at Anfield will live with me forever just for the atmosphere that the amazing number of travelling Owls fans created.

I recall John Matson commenting on Sportsnight or football special "I've never heard away support like it" 

Great time to support Wednesday and a great time to be a teenager, the team wasn't as good as the early 90's one but the commitment they gave and the memories they left on me were better.

• Like 2

Guest Grandad
3 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Surprised I never got run over in those, not only could I not see anything I couldn't hear anything either.

I was at both Liverpool matches and the Swansea match, I can distinctly remember me and my best mate laughing at an older lad from school in just his T shirt sat on the front row of the "covered" top tier of the "old man's stand" for the Swansea game.

I also remember Toshacks own goal, but my memory was a lovely chip over the keeper rather than a diving header, it's a long time since so it's probably my memory that's wrong.

The return at Anfield will live with me forever just for the atmosphere that the amazing number of travelling Owls fans created.

I recall John Matson commenting on Sportsnight or football special "I've never heard away support like it" 

Great time to support Wednesday and a great time to be a teenager, the team wasn't as good as the early 90's one but the commitment they gave and the memories they left on me were better.

No youre absolutely right - it was a sublime chip - one of the best goals Ive ever seen scored at Hillsborough

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

No youre absolutely right - it was a sublime chip - one of the best goals Ive ever seen scored at Hillsborough

Well I remember it as a long range looping header!

Steve Gritt of Charlton brilliantly lobbed his own keeper about a year earlier though in our 5-4 win. 

Guest Grandad
1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Steve Gritt of Charlton brilliantly lobbed his own keeper about a year earlier though in our 5-4 win. 

I'm doubting myself now.

Felt sure Toshack was trying to put it into keepers hands and it went over him

Need a programme from the next home game with a match report

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Wasn’t it a lob volley?  A brilliant goal in what I vaguely remember as, despite the scoreline, a terrible game of football. 

My only memory of a diving header from that Swansea game was our 5th or 6th. Shelts started in his own half,  passed it out to the left wing, ran the full length of the pitch to meet the cross on the penalty spot. Launched himself at it and it flew in, or was that the 5-2 v Cardiff?

Also at Anfield remember Grobelaar conducting the Wednesday "Choir" as we chanted "Zulu" at him and the traffic news on Radio 2 requesting people to "please stay of the M62 to allow the huge number of Sheffield Wednesday fans to get back home!"

Edited by Utah Owl

4 hours ago, Grandad said:

I'm doubting myself now.

Felt sure Toshack was trying to put it into keepers hands and it went over him

Need a programme from the next home game with a match report

I'll have the programme somewhere as I collected em religiously from about 82 until well into mid 90s.

I've got about 600 altogether (all in date order) after my Dad and Uncle added to my collection with theirs from the 60s, just a question of where it is and whether I can be bothered to dig it out.

If I remember correctly (and I'm really questioning myself now) I'm pretty sure the Swansea keeper pulled off a great save preventing Toshack from scoring a pair of own goals, could one of these be either the header or the chip we're all confused about?

On 05/06/2020 at 10:54, Inspector Lestrade said:

Should have beat them.  A great game and atmosphere.  Anyone remember it? 

Yes, and I think it was the replay that we Wednesday fans out sang the Kop, we lost 3-0 but sang, "We'll be back" and the Liverpool fans all clapped us at the end.

Took lad out of school early for that game.

7 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Yes, and I think it was the replay that we Wednesday fans out sang the Kop, we lost 3-0 but sang, "We'll be back" and the Liverpool fans all clapped us at the end.

Took lad out of school early for that game.

I was there that night and your right we easily out sang them. Always remember the Liverpool police inspectors having very long sticks.

Was disappointed that we didn't finish them off in the first game. Went the following season when we deservedly beat them at Anfield.  

Guest Grandad
20 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I was there that night and your right we easily out sang them. Always remember the Liverpool police inspectors having very long sticks.

Was disappointed that we didn't finish them off in the first game. Went the following season when we deservedly beat them at Anfield.  

And we sang "We said we'd be back"