Did Anyone Go To This Game

Guest gizowl

Yes I was there great night, but everything was in that period,should have won that game and Liverpool were the top team in Europe at the time. We won promotion that season beating weeds, Newcastle 4 2 in front of nearly 42k, winning at Newcastle and Man city. Happy days. 

1 minute ago, gizowl said:

Yes I was there great night, but everything was in that period,should have won that game and Liverpool were the top team in Europe at the time. We won promotion that season beating weeds, Newcastle 4 2 in front of nearly 42k, winning at Newcastle and Man city. Happy days. 

Though that Newcastle game was brilliant had everything.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Should have beat them.  A great game and atmosphere.  Anyone remember it? 

Yes getting pelted with coins as a young lad in the North and making about a quid as the scousers had all brought the old 1/2p ones

Edited by soldierboyblue

2 hours ago, alanharper said:

I was one of the 13k at the Swansea game the Saturday before in a blizzard as well - in the space of 3 days I saw the sparsest Kop I'd ever seen, and the most packed one. 

Same here, was in the North Stand for the Swansea game and on the Kop for the Liverpool one. Liverpool only saved their blushes with a dodgy late penalty. Went to the replay too (along with some 14k Owls fans) which was also in awful conditions.

That attendance was just marginally bigger than the one for the BDM, but back in those days we got a few games with attendances of that sort of magnitude (Liverpool following season for example got about 48k).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Same here, was in the North Stand for the Swansea game and on the Kop for the Liverpool one. Liverpool only saved their blushes with a dodgy late penalty. Went to the replay too (along with some 14k Owls fans) which was also in awful conditions.

That attendance was just marginally bigger than the one for the BDM, but back in those days we got a few games with attendances of that sort of magnitude (Liverpool following season for example got about 48k).

Always thought BDM was the biggest gate, I had been in at Hillsborough.  Do you know the actual attendance?

I was at the Swansea game as well, a few hardy souls stuck it out on the Kop, despite being told they could go into the seats.  Must have been the Arctic Supporters Club.

2 hours ago, brian joicey said:

didn't realise these 2 games were so close together, went in north that day (coward!) the weather was bizzare as was toshacks own goal ! 

I didn't realise they were so close either but my feet haven't defrosted from the Swansea game yet. 

We had a fantastic team spirit back then with a fair deal of ability too.

I was absolutely covered in snow at the Swans game as we chanted "Bert McGhee, give us a roof"

Bloody worth it though as we thrashed em 6-0 or 6-1

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Shelton on the six yard box if I remember correctly.

Great night.

At nil-nil at Anfield we had a gilt-edged chance early on. Bannister (I think) couldn’t get his feet sorted from close range.

I'd put my house on the early missed chance at Anfield being Varadi.

I was bang behind the goal and the ball for played across goal and all he had to do was side foot it in but it went between his legs.

The home game was amazing but nights and occasional crowds like that seemed normality back then. 

Really miss those days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1