Here's what Sunderland have given their season ticket holders

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Why did the club decide to proceed with renewals despite the ongoing uncertainty with regards to the 2020-21 season?

A. Members of the club’s fan base have stated their desire to renew despite the uncertainty, so the club are offering them the opportunity to do that. However, we also appreciate that many supporters are not in a position or may not want to renew at this time. Like all clubs, we are currently operating without any revenue streams, but our cost base remains unchanged. Along with the current owners meeting their financial obligations to provide funding,

it is important that the club generates as much operational income as possible to achieve security and success both on and off the pitch.

So much wrong with this. The decision in the first place is compounded further by this shocking Q&A to try and justify it.

Is the bit in bold accurate as well? Obviously revenue streams are down and income wont currently cover things but what does the cost base remaining unchanged refer to? Sunderland have furloughed many players and staff and will have some forms of expenditure that have been reduced over the last two months so the cost base isn't unchanged is it?

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You're right, League One are undecided on whether they will play on and it might not happen. As that is the case, why have Sunderland decided to release these details before that decision has been made leading to such bad PR?

Just incase it does happen or unless they know the way the vote is going to swing. Or perhaps they had to do it legally by a certain date.

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Just incase it does happen or unless they know the way the vote is going to swing. Or perhaps they had to do it legally by a certain date.

Be surprised if that is the case, not that many clubs have made a decision yet have they? 

If they were to play again this season then they could have addressed the matter as and when that is decided, the players at that level aren't training properly at the moment and would need 3 weeks minimum before playing so they would have time to announce such a move then. 

If League One doesn't play again, as may well be the case, they could have announced refunds when this is confirmed and wouldn't have had to go public with any decision about no refunds if League One does resume as this wouldn't be applicable. 

Guest LittleG
17 minutes ago, whatdial said:

Am I the only one here thinking that the clubs don’t have the cash flow to pay these monies back. I’d happily swap my remaining games for streaming passes if it means the club survives. That money is all spent and these are exceptional circumstances. 

The problem we have here though is we’ve continued to pay our players full pay and have not furloughed them. I’d be happy for them to have been furloughed and kept my cash but as we’ve paid all players full pay then that takes the pi$$.

I'm more concerned about the seasons tickets I've already bought for next season. Wednesday better get the options right for these if we're not allowed to attend ie a refund

15 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Be surprised if that is the case, not that many clubs have made a decision yet have they? 

If they were to play again this season then they could have addressed the matter as and when that is decided, the players at that level aren't training properly at the moment and would need 3 weeks minimum before playing so they would have time to announce such a move then. 

If League One doesn't play again, as may well be the case, they could have announced refunds when this is confirmed and wouldn't have had to go public with any decision about no refunds if League One does resume as this wouldn't be applicable. 

Does seem a stupid thing to do by owners that are not the most popular so there has to be a reason for announcing it now and not waiting.

If it wasn't for my love of Wednesday I could easily turn my back on the whole money mad, morally bankrupt, parasite infested game. 

I love Wednesday but I despise what football has become. 

• Like 7

Half the clubs in league one are on financial knife edge,  not condoning what Stewart Donald/Sunderland have done though 

Clubs that don’t have the coin to refund are gonna have to find it , or risk losing complete fan bases 

Playing on behind closed doors is messed up anyway if am honest, if clubs are voting for that they deserve all abuse coming there ways , shouldn’t even be an option on the table for me 

5 hours ago, MrsHall said:

Turd through letterbox time. UTO.

We used to do a thing in the Army where if you despised someone enough you shat in a Jiffy bag and posted it to said individual. They would then open said Jiffy bag reach in and feel the poo in their hands. Was always a laugh when they were trying to figure out whose poo it was 

• Haha 2

The Manchester Royal Exchange handled this impeccably. Email to say I was entitled to a refund. But would I please consider either a donation or a non-time-limited credit note. So I went for the note. I'll be back, and so will they. 

Theatres, restaurants, pubs, sports clubs are bleeding. Revenue off a cliff and partially recovering at best for the next year. Expenses of changing operating models. And the obligation to return banked cash. People should help if they can, and I chucked £50 in the hat for the non-league clubs I follow.

For Wednesday, I'm prepared to go so far. I don't need the £100 or so I'd get on a pro rata refund, and am prepared to pay it forward, or write it off. As it happens, I didn't renew my ST - the kids are now off at uni, and the whole day out has become less special....

....But if I had bought one, I certainly wouldn't feel I could let £500+ slip, and I wouldn't feel watching games live remotely comparable. Obviously no more STs for next season will be sold, and almost equally obviously those who have bought them will want their money back, and press their obligations. (I am assuming here that no one will be able to go to games before Christmas, and probably not at all next season). I can't really see what the operating model is here for clubs below premier league level, and even at premier league level for clubs that don't have the big global brands as sponsor and don't drive global viewing figures. 

I don't know what the answer is here. I suspect what we will end up with is mass scale rationalisation where the professional base contracts, and we stop pretending that what separates Spurs and Reading is noting more than 30 league places. My guess is that there will have to be deliberate top down restructuring perhaps to two professional leagues of 40 clubs, with a capped semi-pro league outside of that. 

I have enjoyed my increasingly regular afternoons at Penistone Church, and suspect I have rather more of these to come. 

The answer is that football should have built a sustainable business model rather than paying average players £m’s every year. I have zero sympathy for football and the chickens are coming home to roost. The ITV digital situation gave the game a chance to recalibrate, and they didn’t take the opportunity. 

Basically, fcck football. The whole Covid thing has been a PR disaster. All we’ve heard is when these little lambs can get playing again and protect their billionaire owners TV money.

Meanwhile, in the real world, 40k people have died and millions will lose their jobs and houses. 

Let’s keep this simple. I’ve overpaid to watch a game of football, 6 months in advance when you think about next season. I’ve done my bit. Now I want that money back. This isn’t about the money, especially this season. I don’t need the money, but I would rather redirect it towards my kids education that someone elses. 

This is all about principle. I’ve had refunds from holidays companies, theatres etc, all of which I will use again. 

Said it before. Clubs should stick together and at Championship level and above dock player wages, on a prorata basis. If they don’t like it, let’s see if they take their own clubs to court. 

• Like 8