Here's what Sunderland have given their season ticket holders

31 minutes ago, modboy said:

Wow , that's surely against consumer law 

28 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Pretty sure it is. I’m sure it’s been looked into in the event a club try’s pulling this.

As if they haven’t had enough bad PR in the last few years too!

I'm not sure it actually is. I posted a few weeks back excerpts from Liverpool, Man Utd and another PL teams season ticket policies (as I found these already posted online) as they stated (along the lines of) "we can re-arrange or cancel matches without notice and you can go to these but you can't get a refund if you can't". That's paraphrased obviously.

As it happens Liverpool are refunding their supporters - I guess it's easy for PL clubs, but when you sign up for a season ticket, you are also agreeing to the T&Cs of that ticket. Whether or not that can be challenge or is against any laws, I am not sure, but I think the clubs hold all the aces on this.

Edited by ChapSmurf

3 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

I'm not sure it actually is. I posted a few weeks back excerpts from Liverpool, Man Utd and another PL teams season ticket policies (as I found these already posted online) as they stated (along the lines of) "we can re-arrange or cancel matches without notice and you can go to these but you can't get a refund if you can't". That's paraphrased obviously.

As it happens Liverpool are refunding their supporters - I guess it's easy for PL clubs, but when you sign up for a season ticket, you are also agreeing to the T&Cs of that ticket. Whether or not that can be challenge or is against any laws, I am not sure, but I think the clubs hold all the aces on this.

The bits I heard was if you’re paying for a product and it’s withheld your Credit Card company will happily recall the payment. 

As for other payment methods I could see people being made to jump through hoops.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Am I completely missing something here. 

Or does it not say if they dont want a streaming pass they are entitled to a refund.

Only if this season is completely written off and not played behind closed doors will they be able to get a refund is what I read it as.

But I guess there isn’t much chance of it being completely cancelled judging on the recent media and noises from the government. 

10 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

The bits I heard was if you’re paying for a product and it’s withheld your Credit Card company will happily recall the payment. 

As for other payment methods I could see people being made to jump through hoops.

Again, not necessarily. You're correct in saying that you have some protection when purchasing using a credit card, but that doesn't guarantee an absolute right to a refund. It depends on the product bought and the terms and conditions of sale.

What you are referring to is something called a chargeback. The credit card issuer will need to investigate the refund claim and part of that will be speaking with the retailer. It may be that the credit card issuer find in their favour, not the purchaser.

That's in general, and not necessarily what would happen regarding a ST refund.

13 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Credit card companies will do that if you pay for something and don't receive it or it's not as described when you paid for it.

If there is something in the T&C's that gives clubs a get out clause, something like Smurf has described, then I presume they can say you have got what you paid for.

I don't know if this is definitely the case but it's a possibility.

I can’t think of a single other industry that would try and get away with stuff like this. Small businesses, theatres, concert venues have been brilliant with refunds etc. 

Why is football allowed to do this??

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, vulva said:

I can’t think of a single other industry that would try and get away with stuff like this. Small businesses, theatres, concert venues have been brilliant with refunds etc. 

Ryanair tho...

Owlstalk Shop

16 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

You're missing summat.

First answer says streaming pass only. No refunds or vouchers. 

15 minutes ago, Shifty Powers said:

Only if this season is completely written off and not played behind closed doors will they be able to get a refund is what I read it as.

But I guess there isn’t much chance of it being completely cancelled judging on the recent media and noises from the government. 

I was reading the first question as a club statement. But it was just what they thought the answer was and put it as a question.

There is a good chance that league one wont play so in that case they will get a refund.

• Like 1

If clubs do not refund the the season ticket holders they may as well fold the club now because not one of those fans will attend another game and no new fans would ever buy a season ticket because of the risk of this happening again. 

8 minutes ago, vulva said:

Shouldnt that be why are Sunderland allowed to do this? or are there others.?