Breaking: New Pelupessy deal confirmed.

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

but I don’t understand what job Pessy does? I honestly don’t know of anything positive he brings to the team. 

Must do something or one of our golden generation of u23 midfielders would get a game wouldn't they.

4 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

It’s a no brainer from a business perspective. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

To let him go means we’d have to replace him. Bare in mind that our other CDM’s are Sam Hutchinson who’s deal is also expiring and won’t be renewed...and Luongo who’s injury record speaks for itself.

The club will be more aware than anyone as to how bad our financial situation is, the likelihood of a transfer ban (or even worse a points deduction) - and therefore how the land lies in terms of being able to sign players and of what standard in the next couple of seasons.

Joey is cheap. Clean injury record. Keeps himself in good condition. Happy to be here. Seems like a good enough bloke around the club. 

Id have been shocked if he wasn’t offered a deal. It’s not ideal and I bloody hope he’s not a starter. I hope he’s a ‘just incase we need him’ filler player. 

I would much rather trust a youngster. BUT we’re not the club we were back in 2016. We’re really on dodgy ground and it’s gonna take a whole restructuring to get us back to where we were.

All in all I think we’re gonna have to go backwards to go forwards, and accept that players like Joey are gonna be a part of that.

It's a no brainer business deal if we're preparing for mid table mediocrity.....In league 1. He's not good enough for Championship..simple!

54 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We were also signing starting players the quality of Forestieri, Hooper and Bannan, we aren’t doing that now either

Not likely in reality as we have breached FFP at least twice. Even DC realises we have to cut our costs.

23 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't understand those saying it's a sensible financial decision either when you look at those stats.

The only possible explanation for all this has got to be that the club are no longer confident of beating the EFL charge and are planning for the worst possible outcome for us.

Like I said earlier in the thread, if we did go down I find it very hard to believe he wouldn’t be one of the highest paid midfielders in League One. 

So even from an overly cautious financial point of view, it’s still a bewildering decision to extend his contract for another year. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I think our local journalists need to get straight onto Chansiri (might have to be Dom seeing as he's the only one permitted to ask any questions of our chairman) and find out who wanted/sanctioned this deal.

• Are we under an embargo?

My understanding is that new deals cannot formally be submitted whilst under embargo, even for players currently under contract. If you remember the last time, a couple of extensions (Bannan and Joao I think) were announced almost immediately the sanctions were lifted.

7 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

but I don’t understand what job Pessy does? I honestly don’t know of anything positive he brings to the team. 

My heart sinks when I've paid £36 and hear he's starting, it's like giving the opposition Midfield a break. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Must do something or one of our golden generation of u23 midfielders would get a game wouldn't they.

He’s 27 playing at a level where it takes a brave manager to play 20 year olds in league games. 

He’s being picked ahead of them because of his experience and the fact you know what you’re going to get, nothing else. If he was an academy player aged 19 he wouldn’t have made a first team appearance for us before being shuffled out of the door. 

7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

On the pitch when you watch him play what does he do?

2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

My understanding is that new deals cannot formally be submitted whilst under embargo, even for players currently under contract. If you remember the last time, a couple of extensions (Bannan and Joao I think) were announced almost immediately the sanctions were lifted.

Consequences of non-fulfilment of the Fair Play Requirement of these Rules (effective 1 December 2014)

6.1 A Championship Club which fails to fulfil the Fair Play Requirement in accordance with these Rules (or is in default of any obligation to provide information in accordance with these Rules) shall be subject to a registration embargo (the “Embargo”) such that The League shall refuse any application by that Championship Club to register any Player with that Championship Club save where the Championship Club:

6.1.1 wishes to offer terms of re-engagement to any Contract Player, Academy Player or Scholar (but always excluding any extension of a Temporary Loan Transfer, as described to in Regulation 54.1);

6.1.2 notwithstanding the exclusion in Rule 6.1.1 regarding Temporary Loan Transfers, obtains permission to register a Goalkeeper in accordance with Regulation 57;

6.1.3 has less than 24 Established Players, but these will only be allowed where the annual Employee Cost of the Player coming in is no more than £600,000 per annum (or pro-rata for shorter contract lengths);

6.1.4 has 24 Established Players, but these will only be allowed where the annual Employee Cost of the Player coming in is no more than:

(a) 75% of the annual equivalent Employee Cost of the Player going out (calculated as an average over the term of the remaining period of both Players’ contracts); or

(b) £600,000 per annum (or pro-rata for shorter contract lengths),

whichever is the lower;

6.1.5 wishes to apply for a non-first team registration for a Player who is as at the proposed date of registration, under the age of 21.  For the purposes of these Rules, a non-first team registration is the registration of a Player in accordance with the requirements of the Regulations but whose registration shall, during the period in which the Club is subject to the Embargo, be restricted to the extent that the Player shall not be eligible to:

(a) participate in any first team matches on behalf of that Club; and

(b) may not be the subject of a temporary transfer to any other Club (or club). 

The annual Employee Cost of the Player registered on any non-first team registration shall be no more than £60,000 per annum (or pro-rata for shorter contract lengths).

6.2 A Championship Club subject to an Embargo shall not be permitted to:

6.2.1 pay or commit to pay any Transfer Fee, Compensation Fee, Loan Fee or any other form of payment including without limitation sell on and/or contingent payments, in respect of the registration of Players permitted by Rule 6.1; or

6.2.2 make or commit to any payments to Agents in respect of the registration of Players permitted by Rule 6.1, other than by way of payments:

(a) in respect of any Player registered in accordance with Rules 6.1.1 and 6.1.2;

(b) in respect of any Player registered in accordance with Rules 6.1.3 and 6.1.4 where the payment is:

(i) a benefit in kind and which is required to be disclosed on the Player’s P11D (or equivalent); or

(ii) a deduction from net wages,

and payments made in accordance with this Rule 6.2.2(b) shall be referred to as Permitted Agent Payments.

6.3 For the purposes of Rules 6.1.3 and 6.1.5 only, Employee Cost means the payment to or benefits paid in cash or in kind on behalf  of a Player including, by way of example and without limitation:

6.3.1 gross basic salary;

6.3.2 signing on fees;

6.3.3 loyalty bonuses;

6.3.4 pension payments;

6.3.5 Permitted Agent Payments;

6.3.6 Image Contract Payment; and/or

6.3.7 (where applicable), employer’s National Insurance Contributions;

for the respective Players.

6.4 An Established Player is:

6.4.1 any Player registered with the Championship Club at the time of the imposition of the Embargo, who:

(a) was 21 years of age or older as at the 30 June immediately prior to the commencement of the Season in which the Club is subject to the Embargo; and

(b) has been named in the starting eleven on the Team Sheet (and started the game) at least five times in:

(i) League Matches;

(ii) matches in the EFL Cup, EFL Trophy; and/or

(iii) matches in the Football Association Challenge Cup,

for that Championship Club (at any time); or

6.4.2 any Player registered with the Club whilst subject to the Embargo (excluding Academy Players, Players registered pursuant to Rule 6.1.5, Scholars and any Emergency Goalkeeper Loan) pursuant to this Rule 6.

6.5 The Embargo will be effective:

6.5.1 in the case of a Championship Club which is in default of any obligation to provide information in accordance with these Rules, from the date of default until such time as the default is remedied to the reasonable satisfaction of The League; and

6.5.2 in the case of a Championship Club which fails to fulfil the Fair Play Requirement, from 1 January in the relevant Season and will apply until such time as the Club meets the Fair Play Requirement in any subsequent Reporting Period (in accordance with these Rules) or The League grants any application lodged in accordance with Rule 6.6.

Guidance

By way of example only, a Championship Club which fails to fulfil the Fair Play Requirement for the Reporting Period 2014/15, or fails to provide Fair Play Information by 1 December 2015 as required by these Rules, shall with effect from 1 January 2016 be subject to an Embargo until such time as that Championship Club lodges Fair Play Information that, when interpreted in accordance with these Rules, confirms that the Championship Club has met the Fair Play Requirement.

6.6 Any Championship Club which is subject to an Embargo under these Rules may, at the same time as lodging its interim accounts and Future Financial Information (each in accordance with the requirements of Regulation 16) (Interim Information) submit an application to have the Embargo lifted where that Championship Club can demonstrate to the Fair Play Panel that, having regard to the detail set out in the Interim Information the Club will, in respect of the Reporting Period to which the Interim Information relates, fulfil the Fair Play Requirement for that Reporting Period.  Where any application is approved the Embargo will only be lifted with effect from the opening of the Transfer Window (as determined in accordance with the Regulations) next following the filing of the Interim Information, or the date of the determination of the application (if later).

Guidance

By way of example only, a Championship Club which is subject to an Embargo from 1 January 2016 may apply for that Embargo to be lifted when it lodges Interim Information in March 2016 provided that the Interim Information demonstrates that the Club will by 1 December 2016 lodge Fair Play Information which demonstrates that the Club will fulfil the Fair Play Requirement for the 2015/16 Reporting Period.  The Embargo will be lifted on 2 May 2016 (last day of the Season), or the date of the determination of the application (if later).

6.7 Any Championship Club which has its Embargo removed but which subsequently fails to fulfil the Fair Play Requirement (or is in default of any obligation to provide information in accordance with these Rules) in respect of the period during which the Embargo was lifted shall be treated as being in breach of these Rules and accordingly the Board shall refer the breach to a Disciplinary Commission.

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

You have to wait until the final month iirc. But even then I think the EFL can place a restriction on the what wages you can offer.

29 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't understand those saying it's a sensible financial decision either when you look at those stats.

The only possible explanation for all this has got to be that the club are no longer confident of beating the EFL charge and are planning for the worst possible outcome for us.

The squads going down faster than the Titanic if JP is the standard we are looking to hold onto. He brings nothing to the table but the fact he is cheap. The problem is its not financial sense to keep a player who is not good enough for league 1.

2 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

He’s 27 playing at a level where it takes a brave manager to play 20 year olds in league games. 

He’s being picked ahead of them because of his experience and the fact you know what you’re going to get, nothing else. If he was an academy player aged 19 he wouldn’t have made a first team appearance for us before being shuffled out of the door. 

This is the something that he does then.

lol

8 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Not likely in reality as we have breached FFP at least twice. Even DC realises we have to cut our costs.

No mate, that’s my point, it’s a totally different landscape now, and the outcome is, we won’t be challenging any time soon

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

You have to wait until the final month iirc. But even then I think the EFL can place a restriction on the what wages you can offer.

Isn't there a £12k p.w. limit on new signings, is it the same for resigning a player?

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Consequences of non-fulfilment of the Fair Play Requirement of these Rules (effective 1 December 2014)

I don't care enough to read all of that. Whatever will I might have had to do so has been extinguished by this breaking news. Even allowing for a pessimistic reading of our circumstances, surely we could have done better than this on the open market?

It's unfortunate if the player himself is reading all of this, but there's no getting away from the fact that he offers none of the attributes you want from a midfielder. Maybe he could be useful in League One, but obviously I have no desire to find out.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No mate, that’s my point, it’s a totally different landscape now, and the outcome is, we won’t be challenging any time soon

This looks like a squad filler for league 1 never mind challenging in the championship. I wonder if words out the EFL are going to hit us with a big points deduction before the end of the season. Resigning Joey even for league 1 is just throwing money away.

6 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Isn't there a £12k p.w. limit on new signings, is it the same for resigning a player?

Not a 100% but that figure rings a bell with what Brum and Forest went through.

Also I remember hearing about submitting business plans when you’re under embargo to show how your expenditure will come back into line. So I’d imagine you can’t say in that you plan on say paying Fletcher £10k a week to then actually offer him £20k when the embargo is lifted. 

I have been watching Wednesday since the dark days of the early 70’s home and away and still have season ticket for the Kop.

I have seen worse Wednesday players, but not at this level.

anyone who thinks this is a good deal needs their bumps feeling.

i despair at this club and at the moment couldn’t care less about the season continuing 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

He’s being picked ahead of them because of his experience and the fact you know what you are going to get, nothing else. If he was an academy player aged 19 he wouldn’t have made a first team appearance for us before being shuffled out of the door. 

Highlighted the relevant bit for you.