Breaking: New Pelupessy deal confirmed.

37 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Our back-up midfielder used to be the quality of Alex Lopez & Lewis McGugan. These days it's Pelupessy. Very disappointed we've just re-signed our worst midfielder. Shows the direction we're heading.  

We were also signing starting players the quality of Forestieri, Hooper and Bannan, we aren’t doing that now either

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We were also signing starting players the quality of Forestieri, Hooper and Bannan, we aren’t doing that now either

No, but there is financial justification for that. Hooper & FF were 3mil a piece. Obviously we ain't gonna be doing deals like that again anytime soon, but squad-fillers like Pelupessy will be widely available this summer.

6 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

No, but there is financial justification for that. Hooper & FF were 3mil a piece. Obviously we ain't gonna be doing deals like that again anytime soon, but squad-fillers like Pelupessy will be widely available this summer.

As you know, I always thought it was not feasible to sign the sort of numbers of players some were suggesting. If we can concentrate our efforts on signing the players who will improve our starting eleven, I’m happy enough to leave replacing players like JP at a later date

Edited by gurujuan

3 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

It’s a no brainer from a business perspective. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

To let him go means we’d have to replace him. Bare in mind that our other CDM’s are Sam Hutchinson who’s deal is also expiring and won’t be renewed...and Luongo who’s injury record speaks for itself.

The club will be more aware than anyone as to how bad our financial situation is, the likelihood of a transfer ban (or even worse a points deduction) - and therefore how the land lies in terms of being able to sign players and of what standard in the next couple of seasons.

Joey is cheap. Clean injury record. Keeps himself in good condition. Happy to be here. Seems like a good enough bloke around the club. 

Id have been shocked if he wasn’t offered a deal. It’s not ideal and I bloody hope he’s not a starter. I hope he’s a ‘just incase we need him’ filler player. 

I would much rather trust a youngster. BUT we’re not the club we were back in 2016. We’re really on dodgy ground and it’s gonna take a whole restructuring to get us back to where we were.

All in all I think we’re gonna have to go backwards to go forwards, and accept that players like Joey are gonna be a part of that.

Good post, all of those reasons make a lot of sense, and I can see why the clubs done it.

Personally I don't think he offers enough as a player to be honest, I think we'd have a good chance of either Alex Hunt, or the hypothetical player we'd replace Joey with offering more. In my opinion that's not too high of a barrier for Hunt or a new signing to reach.

I don't want to slag him off as he seems a great guy and puts the effort in, I'll back him while he's here.

I was just looking forward to a bit more of a change in the areas we needed this Summer.

But you never know, Buxton and Fox turned it around, maybe it's Joey' s turn.

Edited by Guest

15 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Eh...Fox is bang average low end championship/league 1 standard.

He used to be League 1, now he's good enough for a team, who don't play more "modern" football, who are aiming to compete for the playoffs, he needs competition/rotation option though, maybe Penney next year.

Guest wilyfox
7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

As you know, I always thought it was not feasible to sign the sort of numbers of players some were suggesting. If we can concentrate our efforts on signing the players who will improve our starting eleven, I’m happy enough to leave replacing players like JP at a later date

Need a smaller economical squad. That means culling crocks, has-beens, and inadequates. Many have lost form, but Joey simply isn't good enough.

1 hour ago, Harrysgame said:

Not too sure we have the funds to pick and choose. All teams need the type of do a job player...Would rather they spent the cash on some quality upfront with some pace.

But he doesn’t “do a job”. He’s made 9 starts, been hooked off at half time in two of them and we’ve won one of those 9 games. He’s just not good enough above anything and hasn’t deserved a contract. Keeping him because we may not be able to replace a player whose made 9 starts is embarrassing.

2 minutes ago, 0114 said:

But he doesn’t “do a job”. He’s made 9 starts, been hooked off at half time in two of them and we’ve won one of those 9 games. He’s just not good enough above anything and hasn’t deserved a contract. Keeping him because we may not be able to replace a player whose made 9 starts is embarrassing.

I don't understand those saying it's a sensible financial decision either when you look at those stats.

The only possible explanation for all this has got to be that the club are no longer confident of beating the EFL charge and are planning for the worst possible outcome for us.

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

Need a smaller economical squad. That means culling crocks, has-beens, and inadequates. Many have lost form, but Joey simply isn't good enough.

Yes sure, but it’s about not being able to do it in one hit.  It looked as if we might have only Bannan and the constantly injured Luongo, as our midfield options next season. If we can target a couple of players for that area, then with JP and maybe young Hunt also challenging, then we should be covered. 

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't understand those saying it's a sensible financial decision either when you look at those stats.

The only possible explanation for all this has got to be that the club are no longer confident of beating the EFL charge and are planning for the worst possible outcome for us.

God help us. 

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

and there will still be people defending DC if we do lose the charge. No doubt it will be the big bad EFL’s fault and nothing DC has done wrong. 

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You’d have been better off taking a chance on a young lad on loan. The fact the club aren’t even willing to try and replace someone of Pelupessy’s standard is worrying.

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

He was lazy, but c'mon he had quality on the ball. Joey can only dream of such talent. 

Maybe if Mcgugan had the same work ethic as Pelupessy he would still be at the club now. 

I am glad Monk seems to be getting rid of all our fancy dans as not one of them posses the quality to be carried by the rest.

Them down the road seem to be doing ok with a team full of workaholics and minus all the fancy dan, we know best, were bigger than the club players. Why.... because Wilder wouldn't stand for it that why. Bout time we didnt either.

Edited by pazowl55

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Maybe if Mcgugan had the same work ethic as Pelupessy he would still be at the club now. 

I am glad Monk seems to be getting rid of all our fancy dans as not one of them posses the quality to be carried by the rest.

Them down the road seem to be doing ok with a team full of workaholics and minus all the fancy dan, we know best, were bigger than the club players. Why.... because Wider wouldn't stand for it. Bout time we didnt either.

so you class Pessy as a workaholic on the pitch and a player that doesn’t need to be carried? 

Edited by WalthamOwl

OH COME ON!!!!!

He's a 6/10 player at best but often isn't quite 4/10. 

We still lack any inclination of a bullying midfield, absent in our team for now a good 5 seasons when everyone has seen that we desperately need this kind player. 

Pelupessy is not the solution to anything. I mean he seems nice tho. 

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

so you class Pessy as a workaholic on the pitch and a player that doesn’t need to be carried? 

Carried in the sense of not doing the job asked because of laziness not because of lack of quality.

Just so its in both threads...

Just looked at his stats against rest of out midfield in 19/20. FFS

Worst Tackles per game - 1.4  - (Hutch top 2.5, lower than even BB)

Worst Number of Passes per game - 18.6 - (Top BB 55 Hutch 37)

Worst Key Passes - 0.3 per game - (Top BB 2.3 rest between 0.5 and 0.7)

Worst Pass Completion  -76% - which is shocking given the types of pass he does.

He came second to Hutch at interceptions

He has played 52 games for us 1 goal and 5 assists - 1 assist this year in 9 starts

I know its not all about stats but it just confirms the eyeballs. Who looked at him and thought..

GIVE ME MORE OF THAT LAD

• Thanks 1