Neil Warnock accepted the Sheffield Wednesday managers job

193101517.jpg.gallery.jpg

Speaking to the Sky Sports Football Show, the former Cardiff City boss recalled that though Mandaric was keen on the idea of him becoming Owls boss,

Warnock warned him of the potential backlash of appointing a boyhood Blades fan and former United manager to the post.

"To be fair I’ve got quite a few good pals who are Wednesdayites – my sister was a Wednesdayite as well," Warnock said.

"Growing up in our family, there wasn’t like there is now where it’s one or the other.

"But yeah I spoke to him and he wanted me to take the job and I said 'okay, but give it 48 hours, Milan, and ask a few questions around the place and if you still want me to take it, I’ll take it'.

"When he found it, the press got hold of it, the Wednesday fans started on the internet and I think it frightened Milan to death!

"I think I’d have done a good job at the time, if I’m honest, but it was one of these things.

"I like Milan but I did warn him, I said ‘look, you have a think about it Milan, it’s not an easy thing to do.’"

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/neil-warnock-sheffield-wednesday-job-18348808

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Blue and white said:

If you want out of this league he is the man to go to, I for one would have been very happy with him as our manager and couldn't give a monkey's if he is a blades fan.

I'm still would be against him coming in and taking us up.

It literally wouldn't work like that though in reality would it?

Could you imagine our first defeat and the reaction from the fans?

Owlstalk Shop

38 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

To be fair I think Sheffield Wednesday fans would have given him a fair chance.

Until the very first goal against us went in of course

You think it would be as long as that ? 

1 minute ago, Blue and white said:

Sad really, back a clueless owner but can't back the most successful manager at this level because he is a blade.

Do you really 100% in your heart believe that Warnock would have succeeded here given the expectation, pressure and his former allegiances though?

I don't.

The first goal that went in against us our fans would kick off

The very first defeat and it would be civil war 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Do you really 100% in your heart believe that Warnock would have succeeded here given the expectation, pressure and his former allegiances though?

I don't.

I honestly believe we would have been in the premiership seasons ago, he wouldn't be the man to keep us there but he would have gotten us up.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Should have took the job and MM should have taken him on, It would have only taken a couple of wins to win our fickle fans over.

I'd take him over the clown we have ATM, barring a handful of players we need to go back to factory settings to sort things out and that's all before the EFL start throwing their weight around.

This is a massive period in our history and we need strong leadership throughout, Warnock would be near the top of my list.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Sad really, back a clueless owner but can't back the most successful manager at this level because he is a blade.

Warnock like most people in football is a fan of where the money is.

I think he would have done a good job.

If he had won his first three matches, a saint.

Lost the first three, a pig.

That's the fickle football fans of any club.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't.

I think it’s a bit pathetic really. Warnock is a good manager with a record of achievement in the Championship which was what we needed at the time. We still need a manager with that record now and Warnock subsequently went on to promote a far worse team than Wednesday to the Premier League.

Leeds fans weren’t bothered when Howard Wilkinson won them the league. If Warnock was successful here (and he would have been) the fans wouldn’t have cared if he was a Blade.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I find it staggering how some of our fans defend our ticket prices and want NEIL WARNOCK as our manager.

It genuinely shocks me

It's like if you got a blade to say 'right how could we REALLY mess up the club for the fans' he'd say 'Just price the fans out and put Warnock in charge. That should wind em up'

But nope

Not our fans

They're like 'well it's tough if you lot can't come to matches anymore, and Warnock's a proven winner'

lol

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

There is more to being a Wednesday fan than winning and I am not knocking him as a Championship manager.

It was one thing for one of our own Wilkinson to take us up with a erm… pragmatic style of play but to have the original Mardiola Warnock anti-footballing us towards the play offs wouldn't have worked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

To be fair I think Sheffield Wednesday fans would have given him a fair chance.

Until the very first goal against us went in of course

I couldn't have set foot in the place I'm afraid Neil - the centre of the porcine universe managing us. Good grief no and thank god it never happened

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Guest Ash76

Just further examples of the fans holding the club back and Milan not being the messiah some thought he was