Overrated Footballers Thread

On 02/06/2020 at 13:22, edinburghowl said:

Right Owlstalk which current footballers do you think are massively overrated by fans and/or the press?

They can be from any level - Premier League, Championship, or any other.

I’ll kick us off with a few Scotland and England internationals who are in my opinion vastly overrated:

Andy Robertson

Jordan Pickford 

Harry Maguire

Scott McKenna

Dele Alli 

Over to you...

Agree with the rest, but Andy Robertson overrated?

Why on earth do you think that?

I can think of 2 who I would say are better - Marcelo and Alba.

No LB in the Prem is better than him. Mendy when fully fit maybe, but on current form? Not a chance.

On 02/06/2020 at 13:28, OxonOwl said:

Jordan Henderson

What?

The best club team in the world win 82.4% of their games when he plays, but only 58.3% when he doesn't.

https://www.vbetnews.com/liverpool-with-and-without-jordan-henderson-two-very-different-teams/

Some real howlers in this thread. I am sensing a little anti-LIverpool bias.

Edited by Matt_1

6 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

What?

The best club team in the world win 82.4% of their games when he plays, but only 58.3% when he doesn't.

https://www.vbetnews.com/liverpool-with-and-without-jordan-henderson-two-very-different-teams/

Some real howlers in this thread. I am sensing a little anti-LIverpool bias.

More than anything I think it just shows how little people know about football.

He's not fashionable, he's not flashy, but by god is he effective.  I hate Liverpool, but their team this year is just about perfect.  There are no weak links in the first 11 for sure.

Just not bothered...

7 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

More than anything I think it just shows how little people know about football.

He's not fashionable, he's not flashy, but by god is he effective.  I hate Liverpool, but their team this year is just about perfect.  There are no weak links in the first 11 for sure.

There must be cos athelthico knocked them out and they aren't the best team to ever play the game as a team imo

17 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

5 off the top of my head;

Paul Pogba

Luke Shaw

Dele Alli

Granit Xhaka

Mesut Ozil

Andy Robertson is not overrated. He’s a cracking left back. 

I cant think of anytime really that Shaw or Xhaka have been overrated.

23 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

Agree with the rest, but Andy Robertson overrated?

Why on earth do you think that?

I can think of 2 who I would say are better - Marcelo and Alba.

No LB in the Prem is better than him. Mendy when fully fit maybe, but on current form? Not a chance.

I’m very much of the opinion that Liverpool’s strong squad and players make him seem a lot better than he actually is. Some people say he is world class because he is playing in a world class team. He isn’t and trust me I would love a Scottish footballer to be genuinely world class.

My biggest gripe is his international performances because amongst ordinary players he looks ordinary too. 34 caps for Scotland and in that he has had a handful of decent performances for Scotland. Given his recent showings he wouldn’t even start for me at left back never mind captain the side.

10 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I cant think of anytime really that Shaw or Xhaka have been overrated.

Shaw is on £200k PW at Man Utd and he’s been in the England team. Too big and bulky, nowhere near the level of Chilwell and Robertson.

Xhaka shouldn’t be anywhere near arsenal or a top team in the premier. Signed for £35m. Jeez - he doesn’t understand the basics of the game. Just hacks players down all game. I’m gobsmacked why refs are so lenient with him. 

37 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Shaw is on £200k PW at Man Utd and he’s been in the England team. Too big and bulky, nowhere near the level of Chilwell and Robertson.

Xhaka shouldn’t be anywhere near arsenal or a top team in the premier. Signed for £35m. Jeez - he doesn’t understand the basics of the game. Just hacks players down all game. I’m gobsmacked why refs are so lenient with him. 

Think that's what I was getting at they were just expensive flops. Never really thought they under achieved as wasnt expecting anything much anyway.

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Think that's what I was getting at they were just expensive flops. Never really thought they under achieved as wasnt expecting anything much anyway.

Ok. Ozil drives me mad. On £350k PW and never turns up in the big games and influences it. He’s always on the periphery. Has undoubted technical ability but you need much more for a so-called elite player. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

I’m very much of the opinion that Liverpool’s strong squad and players make him seem a lot better than he actually is. Some people say he is world class because he is playing in a world class team. He isn’t and trust me I would love a Scottish footballer to be genuinely world class.

My biggest gripe is his international performances because amongst ordinary players he looks ordinary too. 34 caps for Scotland and in that he has had a handful of decent performances for Scotland. Given his recent showings he wouldn’t even start for me at left back never mind captain the side.

How do you think Marcelo or Alba would fair in the same Scotland squad. Probably similar. 

Unless he sets up like Klopp you ain't going to see a great performance as kloops got that out of him. 

But I do also understand your point. Any left back could probably go into that Liverpool side and do as well.

Edited by pazowl55

14 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

How do you think Marcelo or Alba would fair in the same Scotland squad. Probably similar. 

Unless he sets up like Klopp you ain't going to see a great performance as kloops got that out of him. 

But I do also understand your point. Any left back could probably go into that Liverpool side and do as well.

Agree with the bit about any left-back would struggle to look like a world beater for Scotland - who do you cross to or support down the line in an attacking sense, what support do you get from the player in front of you, have much more defending do you have to do and cover for the centre-backs.

I wouldn't say Scotland were capable of setting up and playing like a Klopp team and I wouldn't say any left-back could go into the Liverpool side and do what Robertson does for them. Liverpool could have the pick of just about any left-back they wanted in world football, you only have to listen to what Klopp says about Robertson - I don't think they will be looking to replace him anytime soon. 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Agree with the bit about any left-back would struggle to look like a world beater for Scotland - who do you cross to or support down the line in an attacking sense, what support do you get from the player in front of you, have much more defending do you have to do and cover for the centre-backs.

I wouldn't say Scotland were capable of setting up and playing like a Klopp team and I wouldn't say any left-back could go into the Liverpool side and do what Robertson does for them. Liverpool could have the pick of just about any left-back they wanted in world football, you only have to listen to what Klopp says about Robertson - I don't think they will be looking to replace him anytime soon. 

Dont get me wrong TAA and Robertson are both brilliant players and most people will tell you that they are currently the best left and right backs in the world. Would you agree with that.?

But dont you think it's a bit of a coincidence that the best right back and left back currently in world football both play for the same team. Playing in a unique style that sees them as arguably the teams best players.

Swap them with Leicesters full backs and in 18 months we would be raving about them in the same way.

11 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Dont get me wrong TAA and Robertson are both brilliant players and most people will tell you that they are currently the best left and right backs in the world. Would you agree with that.?

But dont you think it's a bit of a coincidence that the best right back and left back currently in world football both play for the same team. Playing in a unique style that sees them as arguably the teams best players.

Swap them with Leicesters full backs and in 18 months we would be raving about them in the same way.

Robertson is currently much better at the defensive side of the game than Alexander Arnold. Of course the style helps them stand out because full-backs are key to the way Liverpool play but if they weren't good enough at it Liverpool would look elsewhere - they could have Leicester's full-backs for example next season if they wanted to but they wont because they are more than happy with what they have got.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Robertson is currently much better at the defensive side of the game than Alexander Arnold. Of course the style helps them stand out because full-backs are key to the way Liverpool play but if they weren't good enough at it Liverpool would look elsewhere - they could have Leicester's full-backs for example next season if they wanted to but they wont because they are more than happy with what they have got.

That's my point Klopp has turned them into world beaters. So he wouldnt need to replace them because he has two world class players as it is. 

But if Madrid payed 100m for Robertson and he was to replace him with Chilwell them in a year or so time Chilwell will be worth 100m.  The way they set up would make any half decent attacking full back look like a world beater. Obviously he ain't turning Morgan Fox into one but any player with a certain level of attributes that klopp would look for, he could do it to.

Wan Bissaka would be unreal for Kloop because he can defend miles better than TTA and I recon Kloop could teach him to attack the way TTA does so brilliantly