The day Big Ron came back to Hillsborough with Aston Villa

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That strike from Hirsty though, what a way to introduce yourself back into the top flight! Shame Big Ron had the last laugh that day but it was a fantastic season, some brilliant performances. 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

That strike from Hirsty though, what a way to introduce yourself back into the top flight! Shame Big Ron had the last laugh that day but it was a fantastic season, some brilliant performances. 

The Hirsty goal seemed to float in slow motion on the day before smashing into the top corner

Was amazing to see

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The Hirsty goal seemed to float in slow motion on the day before smashing into the top corner

Was amazing to see

I'll never get tired of watching it, one of my favourites and with the sun out and the packed Kop in blue and white, beautiful. 

I was in the RAF based in Lossiemouth at the time. Drove 450 miles to be there and give Ron some verbals as he broke my heart by leaving. Having taken the lead and playing well I remember to this day saying out loud "oh dear Trev". I thought then that we'd do nothing under Francis but we had a great couple of seasons but ultimately, failed. If ever a side deserved a trophy........... 

12 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Was weird. I don't remember seeing many miserable people at the end of the game,

The crowd was still buzzing at the end but a little dissapointed.

Crazy days.

I was thinking that. A reflection of the narcissism of modern times maybe? Now it seems everything even just slightly negative justifies a full volume meltdown where someone must be publicly stoned (and I don't mean spliff happy).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Was weird. I don't remember seeing many miserable people at the end of the game,

The crowd was still buzzing at the end but a little dissapointed.

Crazy days.

In those days we could and we thought we could beat anyone on our day. 

I was pretty devastated by the result to be fair

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I was thinking that. A reflection of the narcissism of modern times maybe? Now it seems everything even just slightly negative justifies a full volume meltdown where someone must be publicly stoned (and I don't mean spliff happy).

People certainly take themselves and their opinions a lot more serious now.  And every result feels like the last one ever and must be analysed within an inch of it's life.

1 minute ago, Rogers said:

In those days we could and we thought we could beat anyone on our day. 

I was pretty devastated by the result to be fair

I was only 16. And was there mainly to shout, get stupid and talk to girls.

Although after we lost 3-1 to dem blades at Hillsbrough I didn't talk to anyone on the way home.  Think it was my first derby.

The most charged atmosphere for a Wednesday game I've ever attended. 

All the run up to the game was about Judas Atkinson, chants before the game even started to that effect  - then that goal from Hirsty just 3 mins in. I've never randomly hugged a stranger at a football game until that day, and the joy of that goal was like something I've never experienced. 

All the vitriole towards Atkinson died down until we went behind again, I for one was gutted to lose that day because we had an opportunity to really give him a message of what he left behind. 

Stung more that the other Atkinson came back and had an absolute blinder of a game as well. 

Great memory.

10 hours ago, WatfordOwl said:

The most charged atmosphere for a Wednesday game I've ever attended. 

All the run up to the game was about Judas Atkinson, chants before the game even started to that effect  - then that goal from Hirsty just 3 mins in. I've never randomly hugged a stranger at a football game until that day, and the joy of that goal was like something I've never experienced. 

All the vitriole towards Atkinson died down until we went behind again, I for one was gutted to lose that day because we had an opportunity to really give him a message of what he left behind. 

Stung more that the other Atkinson came back and had an absolute blinder of a game as well. 

Great memory.

Agree was hell of a day. Brilliant atmosphere, brilliant game but as usual lol 

• Like 1