Owls duo could secure top tier moves

To be honest, I think DC not offering Championship contracts with relegation to L1 looming might be the smartest bit of business he's done. 

(that said, surely MF's wage can't be too astronomical) 

I wouldn't mind if they left

Fletcher has been in top form this season but he's 33 and he's never been that great. He has patches but I think we need younger and better

As for Fox if he doesn't want to sign then go. He's never pulled up any trees and in terms of ability he's closer to League One level than Premier League

I really wouldn't shed any tears if we lost either or both

• Like 2

1 hour ago, agentwalker said:

It's ok saying let them go, the reality is how much will it cost to replace then with equal or better quality?

Fletcher would be difficult to replace for sure. Good quality forwards are always hard to find and especially on a budget.

I think that a lot of players will be available for lower wages and lower fees than normal through due to the current situation. I don’t think finding a full back and someone to replace Fox would be as difficult. 

2 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

I wouldn't mind if they left

Fletcher has been in top form this season but he's 33 and he's never been that great. He has patches but I think we need younger and better

As for Fox if he doesn't want to sign then go. He's never pulled up any trees and in terms of ability he's closer to League One level than Premier League

I really wouldn't shed any tears if we lost either or both

My thoughts exactly. Neither of them are anywhere near PL standard anyway. I said that about Uniteds players though:unsure:

Really not bothered about any of our players leaving... If Fox improving his game for 6 months means he gets the opportunity to go to a Premier League club then he needs to take it and as for Fletch he has 1 more big contract left in him before its curtains on his career so if he gets the opportunity to get to a Premier League club on a bigger contract then just like Fox he needs to take it.

It's ok saying let them go, the reality is how much will it cost to replace then with equal or better quality?

How much do you think they are worth?

Fletcher is 33 years old who has never scored more than 15 goals a season

As for Fox we turned down a £250k bid for him from Sunderland in January

My point is even if they had another year on their contracts and we decided to cash in on the pair we'd be lucky to get £1m between them

3 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

How much do you think they are worth?

Fletcher is 33 years old who has never scored more than 15 goals a season

As for Fox we turned down a £250k bid for him from Sunderland in January

My point is even if they had another year on their contracts and we decided to cash in on the pair we'd be lucky to get £1m between them

But are we in a position to splash a million to replace then?

7 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

Fletcher will take some replacing for sure but his wages are high for this level.

There are around 1,400 free agents in the football league as of next month, I'd be surprised if one or two of them aren't left-backs who are as good or have the potential to be better than Fox.

He has improved his game but he was starting from a low level and despite the plaudits he has hardly been infallible this season - in his last 5 league games we have conceded 5, 2, 3, 0, 3 and 5. Plenty of others have also been at fault in this spell but I haven't come away from these games thinking we might have conceded even more had it not been for Fox! 

22 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

Hard to say

But if they were to leave I don't see it weakening our team. Fox is awful, the fact he's improved of late doesn't say much. As for Fletcher he's a journeyman striker who has good patches but has never been prolific and at 33 years old he's at the end of his career

got to agree we need to be looking for younger. My worry is, Fletcher is vital to what little tactics Monk has, as soon as he got injured our form nosedived. What ever happens i'm not confident in monk bringing in the right people.

3 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Think Forestieri might be the only one who stays on, Monk likes that Jota style player.

Does he ?? He's been on the bench for the majority of Monks games. and when he has played him he's very quick to pull him off or shaft him onto the wing.

I was thinking why a club with Bournemouth’s pull would be looking at a 33yr old championship striker, but if you factor in the current pandemic and the lack of revenue generated in the last few months, maybe they’re looking at a cheaper option? 

Tbf, worse players to come off the bench for a relegation threatened PL club 

I’d let both go unfortunately. Get Penney back for Fox and let One of our 6 strikers leave. We have too many and need to tighten our belts. We shouldn’t be paying anyone the wages that fletchers on. 

both have been our best performers, but we can’t afford to pay them what they’d get from a prem team. 

Some people seem to be completely oblivious to the circumstances we are working under. Financially, we are a mess, relegation is not out of the question (with or without EFL action) and that combined uncertainty makes recruitment more of a problem than it might have been.

56 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

But if they were to leave I don't see it weakening our team. 

Double take required here. :ohmy: Fletcher leaving doesn't weaken the team !? Really !? Our runaway leading scorer (only one other player has scored more than 3) and one horse race player of the year?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, whatdial said:

I’d let both go unfortunately. Get Penney back for Fox and let One of our 6 strikers leave. We have too many and need to tighten our belts. We shouldn’t be paying anyone the wages that fletchers on. 

both have been our best performers, but we can’t afford to pay them what they’d get from a prem team. 

Rhodes, Winnall and Nuhiu are also out of contract in the summer aren't they. Add in Nando and we are left with ...............

28 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Some people seem to be completely oblivious to the circumstances we are working under. Financially, we are a mess, relegation is not out of the question (with or without EFL action) and that combined uncertainty makes recruitment more of a problem than it might have been.

Double take required here. :ohmy: Fletcher leaving doesn't weaken the team !? Really !? Our runaway leading scorer (only one other player has scored more than 3) and one horse race player of the year?

I take your point but he has been here 4 years and it's only this season where he has found some form. He's never been a prolific striker and yes he would be a loss short term but we are talking about a 33 year old on big wages who is coming to the end of his career

This is his last big contract so I doubt he's prepared to take a wage drop especially if other clubs are circling which is what we're led to believe. Giving him a similar contract could harm us more than letting him go

If the situation hasn’t changed since pre-lockdown then I’d be very doubtful that anything concrete has been offered or either.

In which case their agents would have every right to touting them about with less than a month of guaranteed employment left. 

The conundrum for me with all these free agents after this month is this. Say Burnley offer Fletcher a year on the same money he’s on now, but don’t want him playing for Wednesday beyond June 30th, what happens there? When would his Burnley contract start? July 1st? Could Burnley force the issue by offering him a contract that starts on July 1st, in counter to a possible one month extension here? Will Wednesday only be offering the extensions to players they intend to keep on for next season and beyond? If so would they offer full extensions instead of extending for a month only to then extend it again? 

It’s an absolute minefield that doesn’t seem to have been fully addressed.

Edited by NeonLeon
  • Like 1