damianb1

Players who's contracts expire, who might not want to play?

Just listening to Lee Bowyer on talksh1te and he confirmed Lyle Taylor amongst others has made himself unavailable for fixtures when football resumes as his contract expires 30/6/2020 as he doesn't want to risk his future. I know we have a lot of players out of contract this summer, which of our players might follow the same route?

14 minutes ago, bigrbuk said:

They've already been doing that for months

Beat me to it!!!

Personally if I was a young man without a contract I would not play either.

This will be a problem facing a number of clubs and players come the end of June.

I would have preferred to see this season ended and all our out of contract players given the opportunity to find a new club.

• Like 3

I hope Pessy has made himself unavailable! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

Just listening to Lee Bowyer on talksh1te and he confirmed Lyle Taylor amongst others has made himself unavailable for fixtures when football resumes as his contract expires 30/6/2020 as he doesn't want to risk his future. I know we have a lot of players out of contract this summer, which of our players might follow the same route?

I find this ridiculous to be honest. Players are usually contracted to the end of June because that pretty much ensures all matches are completed for the season under normal circumstances. These are obviously not normal circumstances. 

When they stopped playing in March, payments should have been deferred in order to be picked back up if and when the season commences, some clubs did this, many didn't. I think this may prompt a change in the way player contracts are written in general in future with the end date being 30th June or after the last match of the season, whichever comes last.

I also find it a bit rich from the players. Using the example of Lyle Taylor that you highlight, technically there are 2 months worth of matches to be played. Had the season not been postponed, would Lyle Taylor have packed in during March anyway so as not to risk an injury which might prevent a close-season move? 

• Like 1

Those hoping to stay will offer their services to help the cause. Those looking elsewhere will be hesitant. Could be quite revealing. No surprises regarding Lyle Taylor. Pretty clear he's looking for the biggest payday in his career. 

31 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I find this ridiculous to be honest. Players are usually contracted to the end of June because that pretty much ensures all matches are completed for the season under normal circumstances. These are obviously not normal circumstances. 

When they stopped playing in March, payments should have been deferred in order to be picked back up if and when the season commences, some clubs did this, many didn't. I think this may prompt a change in the way player contracts are written in general in future with the end date being 30th June or after the last match of the season, whichever comes last.

I also find it a bit rich from the players. Using the example of Lyle Taylor that you highlight, technically there are 2 months worth of matches to be played. Had the season not been postponed, would Lyle Taylor have packed in during March anyway so as not to risk an injury which might prevent a close-season move? 

The point is legally their contracts expire at the end of June, unless they agree to extend it until the end of the season there is nothing anyone can do about it

No other view points come into the equation at all

• Like 2

Surely if they're refusing to play before 30th June they're in breach of their contract. After that, fair enough. 

• Like 4

I can understand both sides of the argument TBH. With Monk’s tirades since Christmas, I think most of the out of contract players here know their fate already? 

May work against us, may work in our favour? I could easily see the likes of Forestieri and Lee producing then turning around to Monk and saying ‘See Ya’

4 minutes ago, the third man said:

The point is legally their contracts expire at the end of June, unless they agree to extend it until the end of the season there is nothing anyone can do about it

No other view points come into the equation at all

I agree mate, yes, in that respect it is going to be messy for some, which is why clubs should have looked to stop paying them for nothing in March, April in May and reaching agreements to defer payments until such time as they could resume the work that they would have done in those 3 months, some clubs managed it. 

The principal of a contract extension now to cover the remaining games is just the same in terms of risking injury for out of contract players as would be the case had they been playing in March, April and May but the mindset to sign an extension will be slightly different to simply seeing out a contract that had been signed years previously. 

9 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Surely if they're refusing to play before 30th June they're in breach of their contract. After that, fair enough. 

How much will breach of contract cost them with 10 days of their contract left though? Not much punishment really if they are that way inclined. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How much will breach of contract cost them with 10 days of their contract left though? Not much punishment really if they are that way inclined. 

That's true. They've got a nerve though when they've been on full pay for 3 months for doing nothing, whilst other club staff are being furloughed or laid off and some clubs are begging fans not to ask for refunds on their season tickets because of how much it'd cost their club. 

• Like 2

Just now, alanharper said:

That's true. They've got a nerve though when they've been on full pay for 3 months for doing nothing, whilst other club staff are being furloughed or laid off and some clubs are begging fans not to ask for refunds on their season tickets because of how much it'd cost their club. 

Absolutely, players who do this still taking the p*ss. Just hope the bubble has burst at this level in terms of wages and clubs realise it is not sustainable as their income takes a hit.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I think any players who think it will be straightforward to get a lucrative deal elsewhere will get a bit of a shock when it comes down to it.

Some of ours may as well retire if they think that a) anyone will be in for them and b) they will get anything better than the terms they are currently on if so.

I thought that July was spent on some sort of gardening leave anyway, so technically, especially those not performing should see playing as many games as possible as a chance to put themselves in the shop window unless they've somehow already got something lined up in the current climate and don't want to risk injury. 

Edited by Mystic Neg

21 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Yes, the decent thing would have been to agree to terminate their contracts in April and use that cash to go towards paying the non playing staff if they have no intention of playing

Unfortunately for many mercanery people in football, agents especially, the decent thing isn't what usually happens

• Like 1

If players don’t want to play for the club I’d rather we get them as far away from the club as soon as possible.

Something with the benefit of hindsight we should’ve done with Forestieri.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

51 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Don't most players contracts include some sort of loyalty bonus at the end. If they refuse to play before June 30th they'd lose the bonus which I would have thought is greater than 10 days pay.

1 minute ago, mogbad said:

Don't most players contracts include some sort of loyalty bonus at the end. If they refuse to play before June 30th they'd lose the bonus which I would have thought is greater than 10 days pay.

Not sure that is the case with many, they are more likely to get a 'loyalty bonus' for signing a new contract. I know players have plenty of power in contracts but why would clubs agree to handover an extra lump sum when waving a player goodbye as a result of them not wanting to stay any longer or the club not wanting to keep them any more?