BREAKING NEWS : Championship to resume 20th June

I've clearly got a very different view to most and personally don't see any problem with finishing the season. The Premier league and championship clubs are doing it because it's worth their while and the league one and two won't do it because it's not worth their while. Yes it's all about money but that is simply a fact of life given all football clubs are businesses. 

Lockdown was always about stopping the NHS being overrun, not getting the number of deaths down to zero. There are between 500 and 1000 births in the UK every day, there have always been hundreds of deaths due to illness everyday. 

I sympathise with those that have lost loved ones but many more would be lost for other reasons if the lockdown remains. We have to endeavour to get back to normal life and football is included in that. I sent my son back to nursery today and it was the highlight of his year so far. The damage of not seeing other children and forced screen time while both my wife and I work from home was not doing any of us any good mentally.

Lets hope Wednesday do enough to stay up because promotions and relegation will absolutely happen across all 4 leagues, regardless of whether all games are completed. 

1 hour ago, scilly owl said:

It will be interesting to see how much each club it affected by not having their fans behind them.

It might adversely affect our away performances...It might help with our home performances as away fans like to come to Hillsborough and make lots of noise whilst we can be a bit flakey.

I should imagine that Leeds will be adversely affected both Home and away ha ha 

Cant' get much worse can it?!

26 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

I've clearly got a very different view to most and personally don't see any problem with finishing the season. The Premier league and championship clubs are doing it because it's worth their while and the league one and two won't do it because it's not worth their while. Yes it's all about money but that is simply a fact of life given all football clubs are businesses. 

Lockdown was always about stopping the NHS being overrun, not getting the number of deaths down to zero. There are between 500 and 1000 births in the UK every day, there have always been hundreds of deaths due to illness everyday. 

I sympathise with those that have lost loved ones but many more would be lost for other reasons if the lockdown remains. We have to endeavour to get back to normal life and football is included in that. I sent my son back to nursery today and it was the highlight of his year so far. The damage of not seeing other children and forced screen time while both my wife and I work from home was not doing any of us any good mentally.

Lets hope Wednesday do enough to stay up because promotions and relegation will absolutely happen across all 4 leagues, regardless of whether all games are completed. 

In terms of football I sort of agree now. It is unrealistic for football to be put on hold until fans are allowed back in the stadiums and I much prefer completing the season to any form of PPG. The comprehensive testing and results show they have the capacity to monitor this better than the vast majority of other work environments. 

However, time will tell if the lifting of some of the restrictions across society as a whole will have an impact on the amount of people involved in football testing positive - in a couple of weeks the numbers could be noticeably higher if it proves some restrictions have been lifted too soon.

As you say, we can't wait until the death rate from the disease is zero before getting the country back up and running but the current R rate is too close to one for comfort in the view of many and the death rate is still sadly significantly higher than many places. If you had said back in February that the government would be comfortable moving away from lockdown because they deem 150-450 deaths per day from the disease to be an acceptable level to do so I think this would have raised more than a few eyebrows. Everyone wants to see their children have the opportunity to interact and enjoy the company of friends again but at the current levels this is a risk in my opinion.  

10 hours ago, TheLastSleepingGiant said:

The fact it even mentions “in line with our broadcast partners” tells you everything behind the motives for this decision.

Football without fans isn’t football

Can't disagree with that. Empty stadiums, cardboard cut outs, playing in recorded crowd noise is just desperate and sad. 

On a wider note, this virus has not gone away, we dont have treatment or a vaccine. All that has happened is that the government have settled on a number of people they are prepared to sacrifice daily as collateral damage to deflect from the walking wankstain Cummings and restarting the economy. 

History will not judge some decisions kindly and that includes football. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Now is the time the scrap the EFL it is a governing body as not fit for purpose. 

Gasp, shock, horror, after all of the rubbish you hear in the press from Rick Parry about looking after the league and the integrity of competition. What happen the season will start and finish in line with the premier league. So the season will start on the 20th June and Championship teams will have to play 9 league games, a 2 legged semi final play off and a play-off final all by the 31st July so the season stays in line with the Premier league.

So if you work on the basis the season has to finish in enough time for the play off final you are looking at a 30 day season and 9 games so a match every 3 days. With the squad we have of injury prone's with no pre seasons and from the looks of German leagues lots of players are getting muscle injuries we could well end the season playing the under 12 how does this help the integrity of the league.

I think now is the time for a vote of no confidence in the EFL, their motivations are not the clubs they are meant to be governing, the players ,the fans no it is purely motivated by money for the scraps it gets from the premier league table. Which funnily enough the EPL came out on Friday and said no financial support will be offered by the premier league for any of the teams further down the football structure. 

What happens if the Coaching staff get the virus?

Say for instance, Bielsa / Bilic / Parker / they could well have a dip in form,

in the same vein, we could push into the play - offs

if Monk and Bully got it.

• Haha 7

21 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

In terms of football I sort of agree now. It is unrealistic for football to be put on hold until fans are allowed back in the stadiums and I much prefer completing the season to any form of PPG. The comprehensive testing and results show they have the capacity to monitor this better than the vast majority of other work environments. 

However, time will tell if the lifting of some of the restrictions across society as a whole will have an impact on the amount of people involved in football testing positive - in a couple of weeks the numbers could be noticeably higher if it proves some restrictions have been lifted too soon.

As you say, we can't wait until the death rate from the disease is zero before getting the country back up and running but the current R rate is too close to one for comfort in the view of many and the death rate is still sadly significantly higher than many places. If you had said back in February that the government would be comfortable moving away from lockdown because they deem 150-450 deaths per day from the disease to be an acceptable level to do so I think this would have raised more than a few eyebrows. Everyone wants to see their children have the opportunity to interact and enjoy the company of friends again but at the current levels this is a risk in my opinion.  

I hear you and I think our media has been intent on exacerbating the damage and fear that has swept the world and as a result understandably people on the whole are very nervous. Hard pressed to find anything helpful in the news from an impartial and factual point of view or positive point of view these days. 

The trouble is everything is politicised and you can't avoid it, anything where statistics can be used, which includes just about everything, including football. 

I've been doing my best to make my own independent decisions on the information I have available to me and I'm sure football is doing the same.

No one in my network of friends or work colleagues or sports club members have friends or family that have suffered seriously or died with this disease.

A huge proportion of the people falling to the disease have other serious health conditions that are likely to have killed them within the next 6-12 months.

I think these people who are known to be vulnerable should have shielded and continue to shield until there is a vaccine. We might be waiting for a vaccine but realistically, the vulnerable ones will be the only ones taking it when it does arrive, it would not be for everyone, in the same way the flu jab isn't.

Dont get me wrong, I've never known anything like this and how fragile we are has been frightening but we cannot live in fear for the rest of our lives, that isn't living. 

• Like 1

Has there actually been any official clarification on what happens in terms of relegations? 

Am i also right in saying that the teams in the conference league unanimously voted to end the season with no promotions. This then surely means no relegations from league 2 and no promotions and so on. 

I can see the reason for allowing promotions from the championship to the prem, but relegations from the championship wouldn’t make sense on the basis of the impacts on Leagues 1 and 2. 

It therefore seems only logical they should just conclude the leagues on a PPG basis ( not to mention the obvious health and safety concerns). 

But as its the EFL, who the fek knows.

1 minute ago, Sefton owl said:

Has there actually been any official clarification on what happens in terms of relegations? 

Am i also right in saying that the teams in the conference league unanimously voted to end the season with no promotions. This then surely means no relegations from league 2 and no promotions and so on. 

I can see the reason for allowing promotions from the championship to the prem, but relegations from the championship wouldn’t make sense on the basis of the impacts on Leagues 1 and 2. 

It therefore seems only logical they should just conclude the leagues on a PPG basis ( not to mention the obvious health and safety concerns). 

The EFL have stated that relegation and promotion will definitely happen either via playing on or unweighted points per game and play offs in each of their respective pro leagues. 

The vote to write PPG and playoffs into law for this season and future seasons will happen one week today on Monday 8th June. Then each of the 3 league will vote independently to use that new law this season. It is expected that the law will be passed first and then Championship will vote to continue playing while leagues one and two will vote to finish their league with points per game formula. Only a 51% majority will be required. 

The only likely legal cases will come from Stevenage who would be relegated to the conference, Tranmere who would be relegated to League Two and Peterborough who will miss out on league one play offs. The reason the EFL are attempting to pass the PPG into the EFL rules is to prevent any case against EFL being successful. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shandypants said:

I’m just playing Devil’s Advocate here so don’t start going ballistic at me. My question is when do we start elite sports again and how do we do it? I personally think that any time and any method has risk unless the virus is totally eradicated (which isn’t going to happen for a few years or may not happen at all). If we are on our way back to normal life we need to start doing things that we were doing prior to lockdown. 

Exactly 

too many people jus wanna lockdown forever and clap every Thursday. 

11 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Promotion and relegation is as normal.

League two voted to end the season with no relegation, then got told 2 weeks later relegation was back on the table, which had been agreed not to happen. Stevenage Boro are now not happy because the way Macclesfield were dropping like a stone they probably would have finished above them.

The league one teams want promotion because the championship offers about £7m more in tv money so they are happy to play out some sort of play off be it with more teams. The championship and the EFL would appear to have to follow what the Premier league tell them because they are a joke governing body.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, striker said:

Can't disagree with that. Empty stadiums, cardboard cut outs, playing in recorded crowd noise is just desperate and sad. 

On a wider note, this virus has not gone away, we dont have treatment or a vaccine. All that has happened is that the government have settled on a number of people they are prepared to sacrifice daily as collateral damage to deflect from the walking wankstain Cummings and restarting the economy. 

History will not judge some decisions kindly and that includes football. 

I agree about the football without fans, I'd have started a new season in September and hoped to get limited capacity crowds by start of next year. Disagree on all the rest, economy must restart, everywhere else is.

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Promotion and relegation is as normal.

League two voted to end the season with no relegation, then got told 2 weeks later relegation was back on the table, which had been agreed not to happen. Stevenage Boro are now not happy because the way Macclesfield were dropping like a stone they probably would have finished above them.

The league one teams want promotion because the championship offers about £7m more in tv money so they are happy to play out some sort of play off be it with more teams. The championship and the EFL would appear to have to follow what the Premier league tell them because they are a joke governing body.

No disrespect but that isn't accurate. 

The FA, the EPL and the EFL all expressed an appetite to keep promotion and relegation across the professional leagues in England and a preference for playing the games. 

The vote in League 2 was a recommendation based on their appetite and capabilities to play games and it also highlighted the preference of clubs was that there would be no relegation for Stevenage.

It was never the case that that vote alone would be actioned, it would need a rule written into the EFL to allow it to be signed off, hence why the EFL are writing a rule retrospectively, asking all 71 EFL clubs to vote on using the unweighted PPG formula in times when playing on is not possible - this will take place on 8th June. 

If that vote passes, the championship will then have to vote on what they collectively want to do with this season. That is why the new fixtures are provisional. It could well be that week commencing 8th June the Championship vote to stop the season and use PPG formula. The same will happen in Leagues 1 and 2. Its perfectly diplomatic based on all clubs vote and not because of the Premier League.