Sheffield Wednesday European map

Just now, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Sounds like I'm outvoted a bit then 🙂 I like it, maybe the discussion's the point of art as well?! Not everyone liked that pickled shark in a tank, but it went for a few quid I think!!

I do like the idea of the map but the artist could have done it so much better. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Sounds like I'm outvoted a bit then 🙂 I like it, maybe the discussion's the point of art as well?! Not everyone liked that pickled shark in a tank, but it went for a few quid I think!!

If the The pickled shark was on a map that said it was in Liverpool but it was placed on the part of the map that is Norfolk tho...

That's what we're talking about here.

The actual design idea is great - find the players, find where they were born, place them on a map and sorted

What's happened here is that this was clearly plan but at some point  for some unknown reason the places on the map have gone to pot, and some kind of strange disclaimer saying some things are fictional has been issued?

It just doesn't make sense at any level, acccuracy, historically, and even artistically.

What would be the artistic reasoning behind this?

Also what is the reasoning behind some player locations being accurate but not the others?

It's so confusing

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

The concept is good but the final product could have been so much better. If I was to consider getting something like this I would rather it be an accurate piece rather than have someone look at it and ask me why Hirst is in Scunthorpe and Reda is where he is! 

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

Just read the article and the "artist" is the son of the (in)famous W M Lee. So if it runs in the family he's right even when wrong, only his opinion matters and nobody can tell him any different. 

Sad to see his father passed away a couple of years ago. I used to enjoy the curious musings of WM Lee in the fanzines, which were largely at odds with the majority on most subjects. 

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Bloody hell we will literally criticise anything to do with Wednesday.

It's constructive criticism though

It's a piece of art - therefore criticism is expected

Nobody has come on saying "OH MY GOD THAT'S FOOOOOKING AWFUL'

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Buy one then if you are so impressed, are we not allowed to pass critical opinion? 

The map shows all European managers who have played for or managed Wednesday since 1980. Some are pinpointed in places of relevance, others are somewhat random! Why?

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Buy one then if you are so impressed, are we not allowed to pass critical opinion? 

The map shows all European managers who have played for or managed Wednesday since 1980. Some are pinpointed in places of relevance, others are somewhat random! Why?

I never said I was impressed and of course you are allowed to be critical, as I am allowed to say what I put.

I have no idea why some are.  

7 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I never said I was impressed and of course you are allowed to be critical, as I am allowed to say what I put.

I have no idea why some are.  

So you agree we have the right to have a critical opinion of the piece as has been the case in this thread rather than anyone simply saying it is a load of rubbish?

Strange that you would feel the need to post this in this thread then: 

17 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

What is your opinion on the piece?

22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What would be the artistic reasoning behind this?

Also what is the reasoning behind some player locations being accurate but not the others?

It's so confusing

To make it look good? Spread the names around the map so they are not all crunched up? I get the point, that if it's accuracy we're after - it's not 100% and that's going to annoy some. I just liked the look of it, and it reminded me of a few players I'd forgotten (Strutt, Savic). 

I can see why the names are spread around, but the cities thing would have been so easy to avoid - just say that the players' names are randomly placed within the countries or something like that.

• Like 2

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

So you agree we have the right to have a critical opinion of the piece as has been the case in this thread rather than anyone simply saying it is a load of rubbish?

Strange that you would feel the need to post this in this thread then: 

What is your opinion on the piece?

Yeah its ok... My point is it would just be nice, just for once to read a thread where its positive. I can dream can't I? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

To make it look good? Spread the names around the map so they are not all crunched up? I get the point, that if it's accuracy we're after - it's not 100% and that's going to annoy some. I just liked the look of it, and it reminded me of a few players I'd forgotten (Strutt, Savic). 

Clutching at straws a bit here, would putting Hirst's dot a bit closer to Sterlands for example really have made that much difference to how it looks? Would have been better with the accuracy in my opinion. 

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Yeah its ok... My point is it would just be nice, just for once to read a thread where its positive. I can dream can't I? 

Most have said it is a really good idea and would have been spot on with a bit more attention to detail, literally no one has said it is a load of rubbish as you have implied in posts in this thread. 

Don't think anyone is being a misery or critical just for the sake of it. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Most have said it is a really good idea and would have been spot on with a bit more attention to detail, literally no one has said it is a load of rubbish as you have implied in posts in this thread. 

Don't think anyone is being a misery or critical just for the sake of it. 

I haven't implied that anyone has said its a load of rubbish nor that anyone is a misery. 

You seem to be getting upset, so will leave you to it. 

• Haha 1