Are you ready/excited for football returning?

13 minutes ago, mcowl said:

It just comes down to a lifestyle choice at the end of the day

How mad is it that we're talking about something like this as a 'lifestyle choice'

Before Covid a 'lifestyle choice' would be whether or not you subscribed to Good Housekeeping Magazine

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

So you'd rather have 6 weeks relaxing and watching TV and another 10 years doing all the things you wanted to.

Or 3 weeks sticking your fingers up to the government, then potentially 3 weeks before a painful death. 

Not sure they and their families would agree.   It's not like hiding under the bed that everyone thinks it is, it's just showing a degree of common sense.

Glad I came on here tonight - off to drink a pint of bleach. Goodbye cruel world.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, mcowl said:

Sadly though it's not 6 weeks followed by 10 years doing what you want.

if you you are vulnerable now you will still be vulnerable in 6 weeks time, and until such time as a vaccine arrives.

we're told this could be 2 or 3 years if at all.

It just comes down to a lifestyle choice at the end of the day

Also I heard an expert say that it might be gone in a few months, like the original SARS.  But i've heard so much conflicting information that it's all a blur now.

I’ve still got my cardboard replica of Hillsborough that I sit inside with my legs crossed, and a recording of the Wednesday roar and chants. 

I shall watch on iFollow, sat in my cardboard Hillsborough, listening to the Wednesday roar, joining in with all the songs, whilst my wife occasionally brings me beer and pies.

Sorted.

• Like 1

Torn.....

Part of me wants to get on with it and get it over with. On the other hand, I can't help thinking that the more chaos created by an unfinished season could actually be a benefit to our situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SouthStand75 said:

So despite all the experts who have said it’s safe to bring football back, these experts who have spent so many years training to be in the position that they are within their jobs have all said that it’s safe to bring football back. Yet Marc on Owlstalk deems it’s to early, irresponsible and should be scrapped. 😂

Yesterday these were the headlines from experts, including the experts and scientists advising the Government

Coronavirus: Risk in UK lockdown easing too soon, warn scientists

Five scientific advisers warned it is too risky to begin easing lockdown measures in England. 

As temperatures soar this weekend, the R is still dangerously close to 1 (it is currently estimated to be between 0.7 and 0.9) and incidence of the virus is still high.

Five Sage experts warned that relaxing lockdown restrictions at this time risked a second surge. Their concerns were shared by the mayors of London and Greater Manchester, and by the deputy chief medical officer for England, Prof Jonathan Van-Tam, who said: “This is a very dangerous moment”. He said the R will only stay below 1 if people continue to adhere to physical distancing as the lockdown eases and people play their part to ensure the contact tracing system works well.

The UK death toll rose by 215 to 38,376. And in the 24-hour period up to 9am today, another 2,445 positive results were recorded.

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, SouthStand75 said:

So despite all the experts who have said it’s safe to bring football back, these experts who have spent so many years training to be in the position that they are within their jobs have all said that it’s safe to bring football back. Yet Marc on Owlstalk deems it’s to early, irresponsible and should be scrapped. 😂

And yesterdays newspapers were running this story..

UK coronavirus: more scientists speak out against England lockdown easing – as it happened

Scientific advisers to the government have warned of the risk of lifting the lockdown in England, as sunshine marks the final weekend before rules change.

Professor John Edmunds said it was a "political decision" to ease measures; Sir Jeremy Farrar said the NHS test and trace system should be "fully working".

From Monday schools will reopen and up to six people can meet in England, with other nations also easing measures.

The government said it had followed the data and evidence at all times.

Another 215 people across the UK who tested positive for coronavirus have now died, taking the total death toll to 38,376.

The Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), which advises the government, has published details of its confidential meetings.

It includes minutes of 34 Sage sessions, going back to 22 January, and a series of scientific reports.

They show one Sage meeting on 23 April estimated there would be only 1,000 cases per day by mid-May.

Instead, estimates by the Office for National Statistics suggest there are currently 8,000 cases per day in England alone. Those figures do not include cases in care homes or hospitals.

Owlstalk Shop

To be fair, I haven’t missed it. There’s been much more more to worry about over the last 10 weeks or so about health and my business. 

Football is about being entertained and we have been absolutely woeful since Christmas. Whilst, I will watch the games on tv when we do return, Im hoping we have a change of manager next season. 

• Like 1

The last 3 months have been surreal in so many ways. At the moment I would say I’m not bothered at all about football coming back. 

What this abstinence from football has done for me is realise how much time I was wasting watching any old tat on sky football. 

As for our games. I’m not a regular attender mainly due to working abroad. When I do go the game itself has really become secondary to the occasion. Few beers, catch up with old friends in the Railway then trudging down to the game at 14-50. Afterwards a few more beers and a laugh and a moan.

Live football, for me, is more about the day rather than the game. Empty stadiums and watching on TV ? No thanks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SouthStand75 said:

How many thousands have to die before you realise some of these experts may not be up to it ?

I’m missing football now but not this Wednesday team and their performances. Hopefully the break and players coming back from injury will be like a reset button, but not counting my chickens. As we had to eat those weeks ago to avoid going to a shop. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

And yesterdays newspapers were running this story..

UK coronavirus: more scientists speak out against England lockdown easing – as it happened

Scientific advisers to the government have warned of the risk of lifting the lockdown in England, as sunshine marks the final weekend before rules change.

Professor John Edmunds said it was a "political decision" to ease measures; Sir Jeremy Farrar said the NHS test and trace system should be "fully working".

From Monday schools will reopen and up to six people can meet in England, with other nations also easing measures.

The government said it had followed the data and evidence at all times.

Another 215 people across the UK who tested positive for coronavirus have now died, taking the total death toll to 38,376.

The Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), which advises the government, has published details of its confidential meetings.

It includes minutes of 34 Sage sessions, going back to 22 January, and a series of scientific reports.

They show one Sage meeting on 23 April estimated there would be only 1,000 cases per day by mid-May.

Instead, estimates by the Office for National Statistics suggest there are currently 8,000 cases per day in England alone. Those figures do not include cases in care homes or hospitals.

The lockdown collapsed in Manchester yesterday from what I saw. A few footballers coming into contact with each other sporadically will make little difference compared with what was going on across the country. In fact football is being more responsible than a sizeable chunk of the population. 

Edited by rickygoo

34 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

The lockdown collapsed in Manchester yesterday from what I saw. A few footballers coming into contact with each other sporadically will make little difference compared with what was going on across the country. In fact football is being more responsible than a sizeable chunk of the population. 

A few people coming into contact with each other sporadically will make little difference

etc

Owlstalk Shop