Liam Palmer at the 2005 Cardiff Playoff Final

On 29/05/2020 at 19:35, OhForAnotherShez said:

Dunno gurujuan, I think there was a couple in our academy, maybe Cottingham and Worsfold.

It's a B I G pyramid to climb though from grass roots U8s to professional!

I think the one you're thinking of is Ashley Worsfold, very similar name!

Definitely remember James Cottingham's name, although looking it up doesn't seem he went on to play anywhere, just briefly at the Nike Academy.

Edited by Guest

Cottingham and Barnett played in the academy from that lot, alongside Palmer. 

Barnett was a good little player too, thought he would make it. Outstandingly talented creative midfielder that seemed to just wilt away when others at a similar age kicked on. Such is academy football. 

• Like 1

At a time where most clubs seem to find a rich seam of talent amongst the BAME community, it’s an area that’s been largely ignored by Wednesday The end of season game where the different age groups parade around the pitch, is a largely white affair. Any BAME players in our development groups, and there are very few, by and large, seem to have come from academies elsewhere. 
Liam is probably the only example of a local lad who has broken through. Of course the colour of someone’s skin has nothing to do with a players ability, but as someone of mixed race myself, I do find it a little disappointing that BAME players are so under represented in our youth set up. 

35 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

At a time where most clubs seem to find a rich seam of talent amongst the BAME community, it’s an area that’s been largely ignored by Wednesday The end of season game where the different age groups parade around the pitch, is a largely white affair. Any BAME players in our development groups, and there are very few, by and large, seem to have come from academies elsewhere. 
Liam is probably the only example of a local lad who has broken through. Of course the colour of someone’s skin has nothing to do with a players ability, but as someone of mixed race myself, I do find it a little disappointing that BAME players are so under represented in our youth set up. 

Its nothing to with BAME though is it just were crap at youth development full stop.

For god knows how long unless your Wednesday like Palmer then you more than likely would choose the other lot.

2 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

Its nothing to with BAME though is it just were crap at youth development full stop.

For god knows how long unless your Wednesday like Palmer then you more than likely would choose the other lot.

Well it’s both, BAME players are under represented at development level here, compared to most big city clubs We definitely have been poor at youth development in the past.