Moses Odubajo in showdown meeting with Monk

4 hours ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

I’d rather Monk left tbh. There’s definitely a decent player there. Something doesn’t add up when it comes to Monk’s man-management “skills”... No one can fall out with so many others and not be the problem. Not just here, but at previous clubs too.

what have you seen to suggest “there is a decent player there”...he’s not had 1 decent game yet!! 

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Moses Odubajo Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

I called the gaffer and asked for a meeting,” Odubajo said, speaking exclusively to The Star.

Things were said back and forth and in a nutshell, he told me he wouldn’t stand in my way if I wanted to leave the club on loan.

Full article on the Star website here 👉 
https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/moses-odubajo-opens-garry-monk-meeting-almost-saw-him-leave-sheffield-wednesday-2868090

I'm seriously hoping no one stands in the way of Monk come the end of the season.

9 minutes ago, EXCALIBUR said:

Got to agree with that, terrible manager and tactics. But  we have some terrible players too and they should be shown the door. 

A bloody good clear out is needed and an experienced manager with a proven track record is needed to oversee it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

told he can leave for free if he can find himself another club and he's still here and probably will be in a years time …..who can blame him when he'll never get a contract as good as this again . …..westwood , hutch , Rhodes, winnall,jones ,boyd , Wallace ,  loovens, pudil, hooper, lee, abdi, matias   etc etc etc ….sign for sheff wed sit out your contract and have a nice life . .

In fairness, I wouldn’t say a number of those players just “sat out their contract”. You clearly weren’t watching the same team as me if you think that of Loovens, Pudil, Westwood, Hutch and Hooper and Lee when fit. Matias and Winnall were/are tryers too... The others were/are either finished, not good enough or just don’t fit here.

Think, on past evidence the conversation will have gone like this;

MO gaffer, this is not working, you’re playing me out of position, your tactics are awful and we are getting battered every week

GM get out.

MO of your office?

GH. No my club, and take the others with you.

Just my view, but I think this is another indication of where the promble lies. Monks way of dealing with any disagreement seems to be to get shut. Even if it’s valuable players. Footballers, like anyone else in the work environment, sometimes need an arm around their shoulders and told how valuable they are. Staff telling managers they aren’t happy and want to leave, happens every day. The response they are looking for isn’t “ yes you’re right, you’re poo, shut the door on your way out”

Guest LondonOwl313
26 minutes ago, We are all Wednesday said:

In fairness, I wouldn’t say a number of those players just “sat out their contract”. You clearly weren’t watching the same team as me if you think that of Loovens, Pudil, Westwood, Hutch and Hooper and Lee when fit. Matias and Winnall were/are tryers too... The others were/are either finished, not good enough or just don’t fit here.

Agree completely.. Loovens and Pudil maybe stayed a year too long but gave us a good 2-3 years first. Lee will end up having given us 5 top years and then should have gone last season in hindsight as he’s not over the injuries. Wallace was good value throughout but went at the right time as was dropping off. Westwood and Hutchinson are leaders who could still do it at this level but are ostracised by a useless manager. Hooper was quality but too injured near the end. Matias was ok but injured too much too. Even Boyd and Jones put some effort in but were too past it. 

I don’t get why people want to blame our better players for the demise when it’s the replacements that just aren’t good enough. The reason standards have dropped is because Dawson, Palmer, Pelupessy, Fox, Nuhui, Harris, Da Cruz, Odubajo, Lees etc just aren’t good enough for a top end championship team anymore. Who cares if they’re fit or if they try if they’re going to lose games most weeks

Not a RB in a flat back 4, I think we can all agree on that.

Would make a decent RWB and has enough ability to play higher up or even in a midfield 3.

There was an old play off final on the other day Orient v Rotherham , admittedly a lesser standard but he played right hand side of a front three that day and played very well , which is why I was surprised that he wasn't tried there earlier in the season when Murphys form was abject.

Monk seems to favour a very robotic and rigid 4-4-2 which doesn't bode well for him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, torryowl said:

told he can leave for free if he can find himself another club and he's still here and probably will be in a years time …..who can blame him when he'll never get a contract as good as this again . …..westwood , hutch , Rhodes, winnall,jones ,boyd , Wallace ,  loovens, pudil, hooper, lee, abdi, matias   etc etc etc ….sign for sheff wed sit out your contract and have a nice life . .

Who can blame him...

I know who I blame.

As for the player himself, he’s looked ok occasionally. But that’s as good as it gets.

From what I’ve seen he dives in at wrong time, puts pressure on his team mates and some of his mistakes have led to us conceding goals.
Monk is absolutely right to let him go, but as you rightly point out, it’s unlikely he’ll get a better deal in the near future.

16 hours ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

I’d rather Monk left tbh. There’s definitely a decent player there. Something doesn’t add up when it comes to Monk’s man-management “skills”... No one can fall out with so many others and not be the problem. Not just here, but at previous clubs too.

Who are all the players that he fell out with at previous clubs ? 

5 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Not a RB in a flat back 4, I think we can all agree on that.

Would make a decent RWB and has enough ability to play higher up or even in a midfield 3.

There was an old play off final on the other day Orient v Rotherham , admittedly a lesser standard but he played right hand side of a front three that day and played very well , which is why I was surprised that he wasn't tried there earlier in the season when Murphys form was abject.

Monk seems to favour a very robotic and rigid 4-4-2 which doesn't bode well for him.

There was an old play-off final that has had plenty of re-runs recently where the Hull right-back had a very good game in his teams 1-0 win, having played in that position throughout the season.

He has been poor for us in most games but it is difficult to argue with the fact that we have played far worse collectively as a defensive unit without him in the team. 

Bruce got the best out of him and liked him enough to bring him here, the current manager is not capable of getting the best out of anyone of enabling them to improve as a team.

39 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

There was an old play-off final that has had plenty of re-runs recently where the Hull right-back had a very good game in his teams 1-0 win, having played in that position throughout the season.

He has been poor for us in most games but it is difficult to argue with the fact that we have played far worse collectively as a defensive unit without him in the team. 

Bruce got the best out of him and liked him enough to bring him here, the current manager is not capable of getting the best out of anyone of enabling them to improve as a team.

I know whose judgment I trust more when it comes to rating a footballer

16 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

I know whose judgment I trust more when it comes to rating a footballer

Beat me to it, I'd rather trust Bruce's judgement of a player than Monk's. Bruce wouldnt have brought him here if he was a bad player.

TBH I do t think he's been as bad as many make him out to be. OK he had a mare with the penalties at Preston, though for the first their player went down far too easily. Likewise for the one at Derby, I thought the ref got that wrong and he was unlucky 

Otherwise I think he's done ok and the results when he's played have been generally good. 

19 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Bruce got the best out of all of them I believe...went belly up again when he left

On 29/05/2020 at 18:27, Bluesteel said:

In a 442 you need your rb to be able to defend first and foremost. Like Hunt before him, Odubajo was known more for getting forward. He looks shackled going forward with a winger in front and then a bit exposed as a traditional right back. 

Sure, some full backs are better going forward. Alexander-Arnold is a classic example.

But my problem with Odubajo is that he's never looked any good going forward either. I don't remember a single run or cross that made me think he might be what we need. Imagine playing him as a left-midfielder. Imagine relying on him to provide the service to the strikers. No thanks.

But in a bargain-basement world he might be the sort of quality we'll have to get used to.

I've seen him several times for Hull and Brentford where his game was getting forward more.

I think he does have the athleticism and speed to get up and down the pitch.

Palmer when he does get forward usually puts a poor ball in, then struggles to get back. Many a time I've seen him trying to chase back to defend and it's like he's running in treacle. He'll give it a go by breaking out into a jog, then realises nope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1