Jump to content
@owlstalk

Are you a fan of Big Ron Atkinson?

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I think football is a perfect reason to hold a grudge! 

Perhaps but of all the people who have wronged this club over the years Big Ron is way, way down the pecking order. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Perhaps but of all the people who have wronged this club over the years Big Ron is way, way down the pecking order. 

If we all had the same opinion then this forum would be boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

If you listen to the recent Owls sanctuary  podcast episode with Carlton Palmer it’s very clear they have a strong personal friendship that goes beyond career progression. Has anyone else come forward to say Ron is a racist? 
 

The Cameroon player didn’t hear him when BFR said his mother would be watching the game from up in a tree. Chinese women aren’t keen on him either. 

 

He’s a product of his generation I accept that, and of a sport that was institutionally racist. Just shows you how racist society was if a non-racist like Judas can casually throw around comments like he did. 

 

I’ve become more sensitive to it since my daughter started going out with a lad whose heritage is Angolan. It certainly hasn’t gone away completely. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/05/2020 at 00:16, Blue and white said:

I was 15 when he left for Villa, I recall at the time whispers that the move was driven out personal reasons and his Mrs learning that he was struggling to keep it in his trousers, I have no idea if that was true or not and to this very day I'm non the wiser.

"Cough " Redfearn Travel 😎

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/05/2020 at 20:41, pat blondeau said:


Jurgen Klopp’s boyhood club is Stuttgart.... doesn’t mean he’d go manage them 

He probably will at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think Jack Charlton was a very good manager but would say Atkinson was a better one.

Atkinson deserved to lose his job on ITV for his comments on Desailly but dont believe he should be vilified for rest of his life for 1 mistake.

i'm in the Charlton camp …...jack took a club that was on its knees at the bottom of the 3rd divison and slowly  turned into a vibrant club that could attract the likes of banno ,megson ,curran etc etc and not sure Atkinson could have done that...……..  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i'm in the Charlton camp …...jack took a club that was on its knees at the bottom of the 3rd divison and slowly  turned into a vibrant club that could attract the likes of banno ,megson ,curran etc etc and not sure Atkinson could have done that...……..  

 

Dont forget Atkinson managed Cambridge in the 1970s winning the 4th Division and leaving them for West Brom just before they got promoted to the 2nd Division.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rickygoo said:

 

 

To be honest my main objections to him aren't on his ability as a manager anyway - although I still believe Jack was a superior manager. More importantIy I believe he was also a far superior man.

 

I dont think Jack Charlton has a perfect record when it comes to comments about players.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dont-rewrite-racism-says-black-footballer-9j9ll965t

 

Think he also said something similar about Egypt during the 1990 world Cup.

Although be more surprising if someone of Jack Charlton's age and background hadn't made the odd casual racist remark over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

 

I dont think Jack Charlton has a perfect record when it comes to comments about players.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dont-rewrite-racism-says-black-footballer-9j9ll965t

 

Think he also said something similar about Egypt during the 1990 world Cup.

Although be more surprising if someone of Jack Charlton's age and background hadn't made the odd casual racist remark over the years.

Yep quintessentially generational - but even in his racism Jack manages to not be as offensive as Judas. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, matthefish2002 said:

 

Dont forget Atkinson managed Cambridge in the 1970s winning the 4th Division and leaving them for West Brom just before they got promoted to the 2nd Division.

I realise that but I wouldn't see him coming from a top flight club like jack did and starting at the bottom again …..not knocking Atkinson coz he was good for us but jacks my man . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

 

Dont forget Atkinson managed Cambridge in the 1970s winning the 4th Division and leaving them for West Brom just before they got promoted to the 2nd Division.

And he won the FA Cup a couple of times with Man Utd but didn't take a team into the World Cup quarter finals. Jack also got Middlesborough promoted and was never relegated.  

 

I can see why people like Judas. He's just not for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i'm in the Charlton camp …...jack took a club that was on its knees at the bottom of the 3rd divison and slowly  turned into a vibrant club that could attract the likes of banno ,megson ,curran etc etc and not sure Atkinson could have done that...……..  

Right manager at right time. Big Ron wouldn’t have been as good as big jack coming into the job when jack did but Ron was the right man when he came in . Often good managerial appointments are as much about timing as ability. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since then the only managers who have done anything have been big characters in their own right.

 

Sturrock

Jones

Carvalhal

 

I suppose Francis was the exception but he had the benefit of atkinsons side to build on. 
 

Bruce is in a similar mould to them in terms of saying what he needs to say to get what he wants, whether true or not! I think he’d have done well here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everybody waffling on about Ron and totally ignoring the fact somebody is trying to charge 40 quid for that ! I think that’s the scandal here not Ron running off to villa ! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/05/2020 at 17:18, asteener1867 said:

Great manager who lied to us....

I couldn't bring myself to applaud when he came back.

all he had to say was "vills is my club etc etc"..i might have accepted that better..

But he came out with 

"I would be mad to leave here"...then off he went.

Second term he should never have been sacked in a simple act of revenge by richards...

And also added, "The fans here are one of the best I've ever known" Then said exactly the same at Villa!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Since then the only managers who have done anything have been big characters in their own right.

 

Sturrock

Jones

Carvalhal

 

I suppose Francis was the exception but he had the benefit of atkinsons side to build on. 
 

Bruce is in a similar mould to them in terms of saying what he needs to say to get what he wants, whether true or not! I think he’d have done well here.

 

What about Laws? You can make an argument in the circumstances he had to deal with he did the best job of all managers in the last 20 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rickygoo said:

And he won the FA Cup a couple of times with Man Utd but didn't take a team into the World Cup quarter finals. Jack also got Middlesborough promoted and was never relegated.  

 

I can see why people like Judas. He's just not for me. 

Might have something to do with him winning us our only major trophy in a hundred years, im not sure? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Since then the only managers who have done anything have been big characters in their own right.

 

Sturrock

Jones

Carvalhal

 

I suppose Francis was the exception but he had the benefit of atkinsons side to build on. 
 

Bruce is in a similar mould to them in terms of saying what he needs to say to get what he wants, whether true or not! I think he’d have done well here.

Dave Jones a big character? lol The bloke could put a glass eye to sleep. 

Edited by owls maniac
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...