Are you a fan of Big Ron Atkinson?

31 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

If you listen to the recent Owls sanctuary  podcast episode with Carlton Palmer it’s very clear they have a strong personal friendship that goes beyond career progression. Has anyone else come forward to say Ron is a racist? 

The Cameroon player didn’t hear him when BFR said his mother would be watching the game from up in a tree. Chinese women aren’t keen on him either. 

He’s a product of his generation I accept that, and of a sport that was institutionally racist. Just shows you how racist society was if a non-racist like Judas can casually throw around comments like he did. 

I’ve become more sensitive to it since my daughter started going out with a lad whose heritage is Angolan. It certainly hasn’t gone away completely. 

On 30/05/2020 at 00:16, Blue and white said:

I was 15 when he left for Villa, I recall at the time whispers that the move was driven out personal reasons and his Mrs learning that he was struggling to keep it in his trousers, I have no idea if that was true or not and to this very day I'm non the wiser.

"Cough " Redfearn Travel 😎

• Haha 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
On 30/05/2020 at 20:41, pat blondeau said:

Jurgen Klopp’s boyhood club is Stuttgart.... doesn’t mean he’d go manage them 

He probably will at some point.

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think Jack Charlton was a very good manager but would say Atkinson was a better one.

Atkinson deserved to lose his job on ITV for his comments on Desailly but dont believe he should be vilified for rest of his life for 1 mistake.

i'm in the Charlton camp …...jack took a club that was on its knees at the bottom of the 3rd divison and slowly  turned into a vibrant club that could attract the likes of banno ,megson ,curran etc etc and not sure Atkinson could have done that...……..  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i'm in the Charlton camp …...jack took a club that was on its knees at the bottom of the 3rd divison and slowly  turned into a vibrant club that could attract the likes of banno ,megson ,curran etc etc and not sure Atkinson could have done that...……..  

Dont forget Atkinson managed Cambridge in the 1970s winning the 4th Division and leaving them for West Brom just before they got promoted to the 2nd Division.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rickygoo said:

To be honest my main objections to him aren't on his ability as a manager anyway - although I still believe Jack was a superior manager. More importantIy I believe he was also a far superior man.

I dont think Jack Charlton has a perfect record when it comes to comments about players.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dont-rewrite-racism-says-black-footballer-9j9ll965t

Think he also said something similar about Egypt during the 1990 world Cup.

Although be more surprising if someone of Jack Charlton's age and background hadn't made the odd casual racist remark over the years.

9 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I dont think Jack Charlton has a perfect record when it comes to comments about players.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dont-rewrite-racism-says-black-footballer-9j9ll965t

Think he also said something similar about Egypt during the 1990 world Cup.

Although be more surprising if someone of Jack Charlton's age and background hadn't made the odd casual racist remark over the years.

Yep quintessentially generational - but even in his racism Jack manages to not be as offensive as Judas. 

• Like 1

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

Dont forget Atkinson managed Cambridge in the 1970s winning the 4th Division and leaving them for West Brom just before they got promoted to the 2nd Division.

I realise that but I wouldn't see him coming from a top flight club like jack did and starting at the bottom again …..not knocking Atkinson coz he was good for us but jacks my man . 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

And he won the FA Cup a couple of times with Man Utd but didn't take a team into the World Cup quarter finals. Jack also got Middlesborough promoted and was never relegated.  

I can see why people like Judas. He's just not for me. 

52 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Right manager at right time. Big Ron wouldn’t have been as good as big jack coming into the job when jack did but Ron was the right man when he came in . Often good managerial appointments are as much about timing as ability. 

• Like 3

Since then the only managers who have done anything have been big characters in their own right.

Sturrock

Jones

Carvalhal

I suppose Francis was the exception but he had the benefit of atkinsons side to build on. 

Bruce is in a similar mould to them in terms of saying what he needs to say to get what he wants, whether true or not! I think he’d have done well here.

On 29/05/2020 at 17:18, asteener1867 said:

Great manager who lied to us....

I couldn't bring myself to applaud when he came back.

all he had to say was "vills is my club etc etc"..i might have accepted that better..

But he came out with 

"I would be mad to leave here"...then off he went.

Second term he should never have been sacked in a simple act of revenge by richards...

And also added, "The fans here are one of the best I've ever known" Then said exactly the same at Villa!

30 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Since then the only managers who have done anything have been big characters in their own right.

Sturrock

Jones

Carvalhal

I suppose Francis was the exception but he had the benefit of atkinsons side to build on. 

Bruce is in a similar mould to them in terms of saying what he needs to say to get what he wants, whether true or not! I think he’d have done well here.

What about Laws? You can make an argument in the circumstances he had to deal with he did the best job of all managers in the last 20 years.

11 hours ago, rickygoo said:

And he won the FA Cup a couple of times with Man Utd but didn't take a team into the World Cup quarter finals. Jack also got Middlesborough promoted and was never relegated.  

I can see why people like Judas. He's just not for me. 

Might have something to do with him winning us our only major trophy in a hundred years, im not sure? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Sturrock

Jones

Carvalhal

Dave Jones a big character? lol The bloke could put a glass eye to sleep. 

Edited by owls maniac
  • Haha 1