Are you a fan of Big Ron Atkinson?

Guest The Horse

The Villa thing is water under the bridge to me.

I can't hold a grudge against the man who, for me, is the yardstick of performance and style for any Wednesday team since.

His personality and the way he had his team playing was a perfect fit for our identity as a club and fanbase.

Style, a bit of flash, bonkers humour but hard workers and ultimately winners.

All of our managers since have had to live up to that and no-one's yet to come anywhere near close.

Carlos gave us a slight hint of what we'd missed when management, players and fans come together and the atmosphere of the barmy army days returned somewhat.

But Carlos self destructed and abandoned the football that got the crowd going.

Nope, we're STILL waiting for someone to fill Big Ron's shoes. Our last great manager.

30 years ago.

FFS, Wednesday.. sort it out.

Yes. Time softens the blow of his leaving. In my life watching wednesday, that was the golden period. Great players, great team, great football, big characters. I loved being a wednesdayite then. Definitely the best in my lifetime, with wilko big jack, and Carlos following up. And Carlos is only there for that first season. Four decent managers in fifty years. How the hell have me managed that.....and managed to sack the best one!

• Like 1

Best Wednesday manager in my lifetime. Still can’t understand why he left a club where he’d just won the league cup and promotion and had players of the calibre of Nilsson, Pearson, Palmer, Sheridan and Hirst.

We’ll never know but if he’d stayed I think he’d have won more trophies with us and would have had us competing for the title with that side 

• Like 4

Guest Kagoshimaowl

If Ron is a legend. No way would he have dropped players because of disagreements like the clueless Monk has!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

Best Wednesday manager in my lifetime. Still can’t understand why he left a club where he’d just won the league cup and promotion and had players of the calibre of Nilsson, Pearson, Palmer, Sheridan and Hirst.

We’ll never know but if he’d stayed I think he’d have won more trophies with us and would have had us competing for the title with that side 

Quite obvious really...went to his boyhood club. 

I remember when it was announced he was likely to go to Villa, which was on the day we were having a civic reception. When he said he was initially staying I was naturally delighted. When I went to Sheffield that evening with my Dad, I remember saying Ron looked like he didn’t want to be there, something wasn’t right. I wasn’t surprised when he left a few days later. 
Brilliant manager and the best in my lifetime watching Wednesday. Wilko is 2nd.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Morepork said:

They do a deluxe version! Press it’s head and it will deliver a racist one liner......Top manager for us, old school racist though IMO.

7 hours ago, The Horse said:

The Villa thing is water under the bridge to me.

I can't hold a grudge against the man who, for me, is the yardstick of performance and style for any Wednesday team since.

His personality and the way he had his team playing was a perfect fit for our identity as a club and fanbase.

Style, a bit of flash, bonkers humour but hard workers and ultimately winners.

All of our managers since have had to live up to that and no-one's yet to come anywhere near close.

Carlos gave us a slight hint of what we'd missed when management, players and fans come together and the atmosphere of the barmy army days returned somewhat.

But Carlos self destructed and abandoned the football that got the crowd going.

Nope, we're STILL waiting for someone to fill Big Ron's shoes. Our last great manager.

30 years ago.

FFS, Wednesday.. sort it out.

Post of the week.

Sums how I feel about him, really wish he had stayed but can imagine the pull of your home club been to great. 

He just went about it the wrong way.    

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Why use a topic on Ron to have a pop at Monk? Plenty of threads for that for you.

I can turn any thread into a pop at him and will continue to do so until the useless t0sser is gone!

YES, I am a big fan of Big Ron... the best in my time, edging Wilko into second place.

I wouldn’t buy that statue though, I thought that it was George Bush Snr.

Should have the three quarter length camel overcoat on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Great manager who lied to us....

I couldn't bring myself to applaud when he came back.

all he had to say was "vills is my club etc etc"..i might have accepted that better..

But he came out with 

"I would be mad to leave here"...then off he went.

Second term he should never have been sacked in a simple act of revenge by richards...

Still the best manager by a country mile in my 40 years watching us, Wilkinson comes close but the style of football are like chalk and cheese. I always wonder what might have been had he not gone to villa 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blue and white said:

I was 15 when he left for Villa, I recall at the time whispers that the move was driven out personal reasons and his Mrs learning that he was struggling to keep it in his trousers, I have no idea if that was true or not and to this very day I'm non the wiser.

Wasn't that Johnny Harkes or were they both pork swordsmen?