Are you a fan of Big Ron Atkinson?

Great manager who lied to us....

I couldn't bring myself to applaud when he came back.

all he had to say was "vills is my club etc etc"..i might have accepted that better..

But he came out with 

"I would be mad to leave here"...then off he went.

Second term he should never have been sacked in a simple act of revenge by richards...

• Like 2

Best manager we've had in lifetime by a country mile and I rated Big Jack and Wilko.

Had he of stayed, I'm sure we would have won much more than the Solitary League Cup his team won us.

He signed us some great players and got the best out of them.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Best manager we've had in lifetime by a country mile and I rated Big Jack and Wilko.

Had he of stayed, I'm sure we would have won much more than the Solitary League Cup his team won us.

He signed us some great players and got the best out of them.

Such as players we had barely  heard of before they signed for us, like Palmer, Atkinson, Williams, Harkes and King etc or players we'd heard of,but  who others had deemed either past it or not good enough at the top level like Sheridan and Wilson.

He also got the best out of current players like Hirst, Shirtliff and Worthington.

I can't recall which category Pearson fell into but he also got the very best out him and made him into a fantastic Captain (and probably helped greatly in influencing his later career as a manager).

Getting all these players together is one thing, getting them all playing at the top of their game is another but also having the ability to know how one could compliment the other in many cases ie Worthington/King, Nilsson/ Harkes, Hirst/Williams, Pearson/Shirtliff and most memorably Palmer/Sheridan whilst also building up a tremendous Team spirit is exceptional man management.

Top, Top Manager imo. 

Edited by OWL1969
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Great manager who lied to us....

I couldn't bring myself to applaud when he came back.

all he had to say was "vills is my club etc etc"..i might have accepted that better..

But he came out with 

"I would be mad to leave here"...then off he went.

Second term he should never have been sacked in a simple act of revenge by richards...

I was 15 when he left for Villa, I recall at the time whispers that the move was driven out personal reasons and his Mrs learning that he was struggling to keep it in his trousers, I have no idea if that was true or not and to this very day I'm non the wiser.

Will never forget us winning the cup. It was just fantastic and Ron and his players achieved that. Those years after were the legacy of his work then, and although it was a stroke of genius by Francis to get Waddle to Hillsborough, there was so much we have to thank Big Ron for in that time after his departure.

My god, what I would give for Wednesday to be in that position now. Seems a lifetime away but such amazing memories.

• Like 2