Carlton Palmer interview

43 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Also - England didn't do too badly in the games he played - some tough fixtures in here. These days the qualifiers for international tournaments seem to be endless games against Kosovo, Estonia and Andorra. There's only 1 match - San Marino, here that is a walkover.

Russia 2 - England 2

Hungary 0 - England 1

England 1 - Brazil 1

Finland 1 - England 2 (came on as sub at HT, with score 1-1)

Denmark 0 - England 0

France 0 - England 0

Sweden 2 - England 1

Spain 1 - England 0 (came on as sub on 63 mins, with score 1-0 to Spain)

England 1 - Norway 1 (came on as sub in 90th minute, with score 1-1)

England 4 - Turkey 0

England 6 - San Marino 0

Turkey 0 - England 2

England 2 - Netherlands 2

Poland 1 - England 1

Norway 2 - England 0

USA 2 - England 0 (subbed off at 1-0 on 63 mins)

England 1 - Brazil 1 (came on as sub on 67 minutes, with England 1-0 up)

Holland 2 - England 0 (subbed off at HT with score at 0-0)

The defeats to Sweden, Norway and Holland away stand out as the worst results (the US was an end of season friendly) - the Sweden game Tony Daley was the weak link and missed lots of easy chances, the Norway game it was an error by Des Walker and Holland game we were drawing 0-0 when Taylor took him off.

From what I remember about Euro 92, Palmer was one of the better performers for England in the tournament. Played in defensive midfield and as a defender and we kept 2 clean sheets in 3 games. 

The problem for England at that time was at the other end of the field with a lack of creativity and a lack of options up front. Our 4 striker were Lineker who was past his best, Alan Smith who was an effective club striker but not international quality, Shearer who hadn't got much experience at that time and Nigel Clough. We had few players likely to play a killer past or beat a man - no Gazza, No Waddle, No Barnes, No Beardsley.  

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

From what I remember about Euro 92, Palmer was one of the better performers for England in the tournament. Played in defensive midfield and as a defender and we kept 2 clean sheets in 3 games. 

The problem for England at that time was at the other end of the field with a lack of creativity and a lack of options up front. Our 4 striker were Lineker who was past his best, Alan Smith who was an effective club striker but not international quality, Shearer who hadn't got much experience at that time and Nigel Clough. We had few players likely to play a killer past or beat a man - no Gazza, No Waddle, No Barnes, No Beardsley.  

Palmer claims in the interview he was England's man of the tournament in 92. Not sure of thats official or just his unbiased opinion. I do know that he was sat in front of me at a concert on the night that England would have been playing in the semi so he can't have been that confident we would be playing in it. 

7 minutes ago, Nut said:

Palmer claims in the interview he was England's man of the tournament in 92. Not sure of thats official or just his unbiased opinion. I do know that he was sat in front of me at a concert on the night that England would have been playing in the semi so he can't have been that confident we would be playing in it. 

Don't think anyone was that confident about England's chances in general under Taylor but I think PaImer was an easy media fall guy for problems that existed elsewhere in the team.

I reckon he could have afforded to give up his ticket had he needed to, who was performing at the concert?

Really enjoyed the interview. Great player for us, I always thought you needed to see him play in the flesh. Watching on tv, you could appreciate all the work he got through and the number of opposition attacks he broke down.

i was confused when he talked about going to Leeds having just signed a new contract, but sounded like he’d agreed to join Villa before he signed.