Matt Penney

10 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

will probably offer 1 year deals to them and 3 year deals to Pessy and Nuhiu :duntmatter:

I would not put that past us one bit sadly. That's the stupidity of it. At some point we simply have to learn our lesson before we can move on, but a one year deal for Penny seems neither here nor there. 

10 hours ago, nbupperthongowl said:

I wonder if one year contracts will become the norm following covid?

Not a bad shout that. 

To be honest, players who are performing well seems to sign a new and better contract every 12 months anyway. I would however fear that players would become even more like mercenaries if this were the case though.

I think the salary cap is about the only way we can bring some semblance of control over finances and loyalty back into football. Who cares if the standard on the league decreases if more teams are operating on a level playing field. 

11 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Disappointing it’s only 1 year. Being a young lad you would think he would want longer. Hope he doesn’t go elsewhere because of this. 

At 22 and having had a season playing a bit more (albeit not as much as he or we hoped) playing well in another country would have hoped for at least a 2. He should be our LB next year and given a good chance to make the position his own. I fear he may leave for Germany permanently now.

Much more important to sign him up than Fox.

Guest wilyfox

I hope Penney stays. I was disappointed we loaned him out leaving us with only one left-back, but hopefully his experience in Germany has brought him on as a player. 

47 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

At 22 and having had a season playing a bit more (albeit not as much as he or we hoped) playing well in another country would have hoped for at least a 2. He should be our LB next year and given a good chance to make the position his own. I fear he may leave for Germany permanently now.

Much more important to sign him up than Fox.

completely agree with all that. 

In my opinion Penney has all required atributes to make good full back.

He got great stamina so can get up and down the pitch for 90 minutes.

He is quick so is equiped to defend against pacey wingers.

Got great first touch to bring ball under control quickly.

Got cultured left foot making him capable of putting in good crosses and having a long ranged pop at goal every now and then.

Fox improved a lot under Monk and there is a no reason he couldn't do the same for Penney.

Guest Grez Bez
6 minutes ago, Smokinblunts said:

Wednesday have activated a 1 year extension in his contract.  Definitely back next year.

Great if tru but...

How do you know? Do you know him?

Are you Slog Boy in disguise

If Penney is to be our left back next season although I do hope Fox stays. Then we have to put Reach on the left handside with him. Even would mind the Carlos shoehorning of Bannan infront of him. But he need a bit of cover.