Can we unlock the potential of Adam Reach?

Probably not.

Never been a fan of Reach's to be honest, I've tried because he tries his best, but he's nesh and slow.

First I'd heard of him when he signed, so was optimistic, 5m for a left winger is a reight wedge, so I had high hopes he was what we needed, sadly he's not.

Having said, I don't dislike him, he tries, assists and scores a few, if he'd been 1m I probably could have lived with it........but please play him on the left!

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

If all of our players were of the same standard as Reach then we wouldn't be so low in the table.  Used to often as a stopgap needs to be given a position to his liking and stick with it.

Strong tackling is not in his makeup so just have to live with it.

Needs real pace ahead of him, if we are to get up the pitch quicker. That’s often why we will play Harris or Murphy ahead of him, to make up for our lack of pace through the middle

3 hours ago, ka58 said:

Probably our best player - not so strong in the tackle so inexplicably derided by some.

It's not just his tackling though, too many games where he fails to have an influence at all. He was rightly dropped to the bench for a spell this season and reacted well, coming on late on to influence games more than he had done when starting. 

I wouldn't go as far as to say he is our best player but he is capable of being one of our better players, as has been said I'd much prefer him to have a prolonged run on the left rather than a drifting role or wide right where after a few games of wonder goals he became increasingly anonymous. 

I’d play him on the left wing if we play 4-4-2. I prefer him going down the wing and putting crosses in rather than playing on the right where he can cut in and score a worldly on the odd occasion. Not sure whether you will get enough goals from him playing left attack in a 4-3-3 for arguments sake. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl

5 hours ago, Burnsie said:

Strikes me a bit like Wallace. We don't always notice him when he plays.... But I he leaves, then we will!

This ^ Reach can be light weight and under hits passes or crosses occasionally but he’s usually involved whenever we score goals and play well. 

With Reach, Bannan and Luongo we have decent players in midfield. Just need to find a formation and system that works for them. 

6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Left side of attack.

Though that's probably also Harris' best position. 

And perhaps Fernando too. 

Reachs athleticism and attitude and willingness to play where ever he's asked actually hampers him. IMO. 

This is the thing.

Before joining us he always played wide , normally left,  as either a winger or wingback.

We have played him all over the place, often in a very poor team, and run him to death.

He might benefit from the rest, would definitely benefit from a consistent run in his best position in a relatively consistent starting 11.

He should be picked in our best 11.

Left of a front 3.

Best crosser of the ball we have.

Decent pace.

Wicked shot power - but needs trust his ability more here to score more regularly.

Good energy for chasing down defenders.

Decent enough on the right side if we'd want to mix it up occasionally. 

35 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Average player who dined off a couple of worldies . Far worse out there ,  but there is no potential . He’s just average 

Have you liked anyone, ever?

1 hour ago, davey_wells said:

Left of a front 3.

Best crosser of the ball we have.

Decent pace.

Wicked shot power - but needs trust his ability more here to score more regularly.

Good energy for chasing down defenders.

Decent enough on the right side if we'd want to mix it up occasionally. 

Chasing down defenders, and then what..........

9 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I'd move him on as soon as possible. Decent player on his day but those days are few and far between. Never really nailed down a position in the team and as a result I don't think we'd miss him as much as some might think?

I Reckon you could say the same about most championship players. As in they are a decent player on their day. 

Left side of a front 3 

Fletcher

Reach                 Harris 

Height and control of Fletcher, cracking left foot of Reach and the pace of Harris would give the opposition something to think about. 

We sit too deep as a team and need to be 20 yards further forward. Our strengths of the last few years has been pressure and attacking. 

We stopped it and a front 3 of these would bring it back. 

He needs to play in a settled position. Become one of those “can do a job” players, having been used at left back, right and left wing, centre mid and even as an attacking mid. 

For me the most consistent I saw Reach was at right wing under Bruce, what helped Reach during that period was the overlap of the RB, usually Iorfa. Too often this season we don’t let the full backs really go and help the wingers, we just get the ball to Harris/Murphy/Reach and expect them to beat 2 men and put a cross in. Doesn’t work you need to create overloads in the wide areas and that’s something we don’t do. 

I also thought Reach was brilliant as a LWB at the end of 17/18. Luhukay used him there a few times and I always felt it suited his game. 

34 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Left side of a front 3 

Fletcher

Reach                 Harris 

Height and control of Fletcher, cracking left foot of Reach and the pace of Harris would give the opposition something to think about. 

We sit too deep as a team and need to be 20 yards further forward. Our strengths of the last few years has been pressure and attacking. 

We stopped it and a front 3 of these would bring it back. 

I’d worry where the goals would come from

20 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I'd move him on as soon as possible. Decent player on his day but those days are few and far between. Never really nailed down a position in the team and as a result I don't think we'd miss him as much as some might think?

Not sure about this. In the last few years we’ve struggled massively with injuries to key players. I know he’s not consistent with his technical quality but you can’t deny his fitness. In all my time supporting Wednesday I’ve not seen anyone play as much as him, very rarely injured and hardly ever brought off as the manager knows he will give absolutely everything for 90+ mins. I think on this basis we should keep him. 

I keep seeing all these posts about how various players should be moved on - Reach and Fox in particular. People need to remember that it’s more than likely we will struggle to compete in the forthcoming transfer window. This is as a result of likely pending embargos. I think the club is finally realising we can’t operate in the financial way that we have been doing over the last 5 years