Can we unlock the potential of Adam Reach?

Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 10.20.56.jpg

For most Wednesday fans, including myself, Adam Reach is a bit of an enigma. Obviously the guy has something, something that tempted the club to shell out a sizeable fee for the former Middlesbrough player. 

However, now in his fourth season here, I’ve yet to be convinced of where his best position is. He’s been tried in several different roles, and to my mind, has never been totally convincing in any of them.

Full back, or wing back, no the guy can’t tackle, so that was never going to work. In midfield, or at least in the role that he has been used, the game seems to pass him by. Probably the position from which he has most success, is out wide, although he’s not the flyer we traditionally think of in this role. He can run with the ball, has good stamina, and can deliver an accurate cross. He also possesses an excellent long range shooting ability, and should be capable of double figures in a season. That he doesn’t is probably down to his unwillingness to get into the box.

With his height, and better anticipation, he could get plenty of goals arriving late into the box. He doesn’t seem to like the physical side of the game, tackling, challenging or putting his body in where it hurts. If he can’t be encouraged to improve that aspect of his game, is there still a role for him in the side? The great Chrissy Waddle didn’t bother with the physical side, and indeed Adam Reach does have a few similar attributes to Waddle.

Of course I’m not saying he’s a Waddle, but he does have a similar languid style. Tall, like Waddle, for a winger, and without needing pace to beat his man, and still deliver a great cross, it’s all there How though, can we get him to influence the game more?

I'd move him on as soon as possible. Decent player on his day but those days are few and far between. Never really nailed down a position in the team and as a result I don't think we'd miss him as much as some might think?

Just now, Great Big Galaa said:

I'd move him on as soon as possible. Decent player on his day but those days are few and far between. Never really nailed down a position in the team and as a result I don't think we'd miss him as much as some might think?

No, that’s always been my take on his time here, but I was just pondering whether there could be a role for him here, with a few slight adjustments? Failing that, yes he’s an expensive luxury

I think you can add him to the list of players we should have sold when his stock was high, now entering the last year of his contract, if not resigned we will struggle to get half of what we paid for him.

Fessi, Westwood, Bannan, Lees, Reach all players than we had good offers for but our leader knew better and since then how many millions have we wasted with them sat in the stands either not allowed to play or injured.

The good teams, sale players for the right price them improve the team with the funds and develop the club.

He’s the sort of player who should have a free role and not be nailed down to a set position, similar to how Warnock played Tarrabt at QPR. This has its draw backs of course that the rest of the team has to be setup to carry him.

He is best crosser of the ball at the club. Why playing him wide right ?! For couple of spectacular goals he might score from there each season ? Unlike Ross Wallace, he don't know how to play that role and often end up crossing with his weaker right foot. Put him back wide left and let him do what he is actually good at.

3 minutes ago, StirlingOwl said:

He’s the sort of player who should have a free role and not be nailed down to a set position, similar to how Warnock played Tarrabt at QPR. This has its draw backs of course that the rest of the team has to be setup to carry him.

Reach and tarrabt are completely different players, the latter being much more skillful and creative

Terrific player who had an average to poor season.

God I want to see him played wide left, either as a winger or a wing-back depending on our system. More than happy to see him switched right many times, but his best role is on the left.

Whilst I am not looking forward to watching televised football behind closed doors, I am intrigued as to how some players will perform without the crowd which can turn after a few mistakes.

Reach is someone in that category, he frustrates the hell out of me sometimes when he fails to beat a player, doesn’t get a tackle in, or takes a shot that you know is going high and wide from the moment he pulls his leg back. But, his stats suggest that he does make a difference, so what will he be like in a game where he isn’t afraid to make a mistake? 

Guest wilyfox

Talented, but something lacking in his game whatever position he plays. Prime age and year left on contract... I'd try to sell. 

6 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

In some ways a good player at Championship level. Can cross, gets up and down and good shot.

But to me he lacks heart and desire.

Sort of player who is at his best when side already winning but when your 15 mins from full time 1 down away from home then can go missing.

That’s a pretty good analysis