Who has been our dirtiest ever player?

Was it Barry Horne who we had on loan for a brief spell. He seemed like an absolute throwback last player I really remember who would launch himself into a good few two footed tackles every game at a time when they were on the verge of being banned from the game.

I remember Paul McLaren being a properly dirty player. I only saw him in a handful of games but he tried a potential leg-breaker at least once in every single one. Lee Chapman was more of a traditional hard man than a dirty player but he seemed to lead with his elbow for almost every aerial challenge.

In a completely different way, as a wind-up merchant, I loved Ross Wallace playing for us but would have absolutely hated him playing against us. The moment when he pinched a sub's tactics notes and started reading them was one of the funniest on-the-pitch moments I've ever seen at th'Wednesday.

• Like 1

Purely on fouls conceded per minute, Nuhiu must have a higher rate than any other Wednesday player (arguably says more about the standard of reffing than big Adthe, though).

I was never quite sure if Carlton was dirty or just clumsy - a bit of both, depending on his temper, I suspect...

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

We never seem to have that nasty horrible little player at Sheffield Wednesday that other teams seem to have

We haven’t really had any out and out dirty players that I can remember off the top of my (old with poor memory) head

No nasty dirty tacklers

Who has been the players that you can remember playing for us that got stuck in, left a boot in, pulled shirts, tripped players up and bullied the opposition?

Ken Knighton?.

6 hours ago, LJY1985 said:

Sam Hutchinson all the way.

Honorouble mentions to Darren Purse, Ashley Westwood and Guy Branston. Michael Morrison during his brief spell a right c you next tuesday

Hutchinson is the only one in recent times, along with Semedo but I would way say Semedo was hard, no nonsense rather than outright dirty and I wouldn't say Hutchinson is a dirty player in a sly or nasty kind of way either.

All I remember about Westwood and Morrison is that they were utterly useless most of the time rather than dirty, Branston was only here a short while but did manage to combine uselessness with being a dirty player - remember him getting sent off in the second half to Tranmere, a red card that was nailed on from about 10 minutes in.

3 hours ago, sexpistol said:

Sammy. Also I’m surprised no one has mentioned Geary? I seem to recall him getting booked many times.

Good shout on Geary, don't think he necessarily set out to be dirty but was just young, keen, eager to impress and got influenced by the crowd at times. 

11 hours ago, room0035 said:

For me David Hirst I seem to remember a person breaker on Dane Whitehouse. 30 second in - you don't get tackles like this anymore

Love how the pigs run up to hirsty then stop having thought better:laugh: