Glenn Loovens calls for stability

No pre season

no player purchases

no coaching team

Whether you like Monk or not, it is way too early to judge his capabilities until we rectify the points above.

You can’t hire someone and then not give them a chance to shape the team as they see fit.

FWIW, I would have preferred Bruce to have stayed but now he’s gone, we need to give Monk a proper chance.

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Can you imagine the crowd at Hillsborough if the young players don't do very well at first?

Christ...

Which managers are out there that can cope with THAT scenario? Of developing young players and toughening them up to play in front of our fans?

Haven’t you said consistently that there isn’t a problem with our fans yet you’re now suggesting young players may struggle to play in front of them? 🤔

Seriously the first option has had a degree of success but we’ve hit a brick wall with this approach recently. We need some arguably younger fresher legs in the team as we are very pedestrian in our approach and a very easy side to play against. If we don’t change something very soon then we are only heading one way.

Yes, and I have advocated restoring Westwood and Hutch but we need them now to get us out of a hole. Long term we do, I agree something different.

Managers will always avoid public discussion of what goes on behind the scenes.

Ever heard the saying what goes on in the dressing room stays in the dressing room?

Fergie who was the best in the business at handling big ego’s would never give that sort of information to journalists. There were some very rapid departures of big names but he never went into detail publicly.

I believe Monk is trying to be as discreet as he can be in the circumstances he inherited.

Does that make him a liar? No it doesn’t, and I think you’re hiding behind the anonymity of Owlstalk to say things that might get you onto bother if you revealed your true identity.

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

We needed a manager that would have come in and seen us as a project, someone that would be here long term. Cowleys for me would have been the management team for that. Monk is not a manager that stays at a club as his other jobs have shown. 

I think they would’ve come here apart from the obvious unfortunately? That being they probably wouldn’t have had the control and freedom to build something which will make it difficult for us to attract the type of manager you suggest?

Stability is key but you have to back the right horse.  

I don’t know whats happening internally at the club, since Christmas only 2 players have played well (Fletch and Fox) and the rest haven’t played to their usual standards or with any confidence or
organisation to stay tight at the back.

If Monk isn’t to blame for the above and is actually a good manager, than we should keep him. Maybe he will have good ideas to turn this sinking ship around once half the crew have gone.  But I’m not feeling so confident as an outsider, and his record at previous clubs doesn’t scream out that he’s a special one 

Edited by Owls-Fan

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Jesus christ...

Are we not in a hole then or am I just imagining the total car crash of a spell we’ve had since Monk decided to sideline two of his best players? 🤔

Bruce said we needed at least 4 transfer windows to sort this squad out. That’s the shifting of a lot of players.

The Cowleys would have come in.... no pre season, same coaching staff at the club, same lack of experienced people running the club behind the scenes, the exact same set of players and the exact same set of problems that Monk inherited.

Fans would be calling for Cowleys heads and declaring they would have brought in X,Y or Z instead ....and round we go.

6 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Are we not in a hole then or am I just imagining the total car crash of a spell we’ve had since Monk decided to sideline two of his best players? 🤔

They had been sidelined before Monk came, then brought back, then sidelined again.

Seems to be a pattern there?

Just now, Hookowl said:

They had been sidelined before Monk came, then brought back, then sidelined again.

Seems to be a pattern there?

Yeah but we should just put them back in the team again tho innit 

And get Carlos back

etc etc

lol

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Bruce said we needed at least 4 transfer windows to sort this squad out. That’s the shifting of a lot of players.

The Cowleys would have come in.... no pre season, same coaching staff at the club, same lack of experienced people running the club behind the scenes, the exact same set of players and the exact same set of problems that Monk inherited.

Fans would be calling for Cowleys heads and declaring they would have brought in X,Y or Z instead ....and round we go.

They arguably signed better players than we did in January. There was more emphasis on youth. Didn’t they sign Smith-Rowe and Willock? Some on here would’ve been pleased with those signings?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

6 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

They arguably signed better players than we did in January. There was more emphasis on youth. Didn’t they sign Smith-Rowe and Willock? Some on here would’ve been pleased with those signings?

How did they do results wise?

Owlstalk Shop

41 minutes ago, DirtyLeedsOwl said:

No pre season

no player purchases

no coaching team

Whether you like Monk or not, it is way too early to judge his capabilities until we rectify the points above.

You can’t hire someone and then not give them a chance to shape the team as they see fit.

FWIW, I would have preferred Bruce to have stayed but now he’s gone, we need to give Monk a proper chance.

This is absolutely the position. Imagine being in Monks position without having your preferred sidekick to bounce ideas off or perhaps have the confidence to question you.  This is clearly what has been missing. Allow him to get his coaching team together, have the summer to prepare for next season and judge him fairly.  At the start of this season and post Bruce, most on here thought mid table and 2/3 windows to rejuvenate the squad.  Let’s stop knee jerk reacting and accept this is not a short term solution 

Edited by Tommycraign10others
Spelling

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

There's no disagreeing mate - Monk hasn't lied but for some odd reason you've gone off the deep end on this one and claimed he is a liar?

lol

You can't just call someone a liar without anything to back it up.

I've asked you to back it up. You haven't.

I really dont' think calling him a liar is fair or right at all.

I think he’s a brunette.

23 minutes ago, Tommycraign10others said:

This is absolutely the position. Imagine being in Monks position without having your preferred sidekick to bounce ideas off or perhaps have the confidence to question you.  This is clearly what has been missing. Allow him to get his coaching team together, have the summer to prepare for next season and judge him fairly.  At the start of this season and post Bruce, most on here thought mid table and 2/3 windows to rejuvenate the squad.  Let’s stop knee jerk reacting and accept this is not a short term solution 

I would certainly sympathise with Monk on the lack of managerial support - primarily the Beattie situation. However, he's the manager and you need to set the tone, and instill discipline. Monk would have witnessed the shenanigans of the senior players, namely Hutch and Westwood from September. I imagine he also would have heard or known about discipline issues at the club before he came - it was widely reported in the media during Jos' reign. However, we were also 3rd at Christmas, which is an unavoidable fact that puts the post Christmas shambles into more unanswered question - even Monk was at a loss to explain the weekly surrenders and big losses.

Whether Monk is the right man only time will time, and there big structural issues at the club that need sorting prior to focusing on the manager. The lack of clarity on players' contracts and re-commencement of the season and new season dates is only mudding the waters further. Monk certainly hasn't got longevity at any club, but there does seem to be some mitigating circumstance to some of the circumstances. I hope whoever leads the team in the next year or so has all the tools in his box to do the job. Not many managers can succeed with one hand tied behind his back.