Carlos is at it again..

23 minutes ago, whatdial said:

loved the Carlos up until the play off final. We were immense, exciting, scored goals. Then for some reason he went all cautious and we completely lost our identity. 

I’d definitely have him back if he went for games. None of this 0-0 crap. 

Lost our identity resulting in the highest points total we have achieved at this level since relegation from the PL 20 years ago?

His approach to the Huddersfield game was wrong and he wanted to be in the PL job he had been offered by that summer and should have gone then in hindsight but don't agree we lost our identity after the 1 season, he adapted to what we needed to do in the second season for the most part.

2 hours ago, cowl said:

And what has Monk been able to do about whatever this something is?

From what in those 10 weeks since Christmas are you drawing your confidence in Monk that he can make a success of the job? I'm really unsure about your notion of a ‘steady pair of hands’ given the results and performances in those 10 weeks.

I don’t think Carlos, Jos or Monk got a grip on it. It has happened a few times. Bruce was the only one who seemed to be able to deal with it (if he was here long enough for it to be an issue).

If Monk was to go I would hope we have someone better lined up rather than react afterwards otherwise nothing will change. Monk had us up at the top for a decent period and he has motivated teams elsewhere despite this recent slump which says more to me than a 10 game period. It’s very easy to say sack the manager every year.

Edited by Bluesteel

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Someone's definitely fallen for Carlos' cheeky claptrap

lol

We got more points in that season than we have done at this level any time in the last 20 years and improved on league position as a result. Nothing to do with what he said or says and I have said I don't agree with what he says in the OP link.

Verty selective memories such as Carlos and Hutch...

Carlos never mentions Doyen, urby emmanuelson ..US buying Rhodes etc etc....I still quite like the bloke, but it was time for him to go and it was of his own making,... for either signing these players are staying schtum when having them foisted upon him...either way he did the fans a disservice...not the other way around.

Hutch, One week when he's in the side he's grateful to Sheffield Wednesday for reinvigorating his career...When not in the side...Its a different story...I haven't got the f.ookin' time for it.

It starts from the top, Chansiri, with his unswerving loyalty to "The Wednesday family"

Stuart Gray?...How much loyalty did he get before he was orphaned an' wanderin' up the Lepp with a hankie tied around a f.ookin' stick?

Its rubbish.....

All we get is one side of the story, and I reckon in the years to come absolute cartloads of stuff will come out about this particular chapter of what once was a storied history of a famous football club that fast became a bloody comic strip

Edited by asteener1867
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Verty selective memories such as Carlos and Hutch...

Carlos never mentions Doyen, urby emmanuelson ..US buying Rhodes etc etc....I still quite like the bloke, but it was time for him to go and it was of his own making,... for either signing these players are staying schtum when having them foisted upon him...either way he did the fans a disservice...not the other way around.

Hutch, One week when he's in the side he's grateful to Sheffield Wednesday for reinvigorating his career...When not in the side...Its a different story...I haven't got the f.ookin' time for it.

It starts from the top, Chansiri, with his unswerving loyalty to "The Wednesday family"

Stuart Gray?...How much loyalty did he get before he was orphaned an' wanderin' up the Lepp with a hankie tied around a f.ookin' stick?

Its rubbish.....

All we get is one side of the story, and I reckon in the years to come absolute cartloads of stuff will come out about this particular chapter of what once was a storied history of a famous football club that fast became a bloody comic strip

Agreed

Very well summed up

Owlstalk Shop

We didn't give it a go at Wembley, we would probably still have lost but not to turn up was unforgivable.

We didn't do badly the second year at Huddersfield but they were there for the taking and we didn't take advantage. In the second leg we were too timid. We could have dismantled them if we'd tried but it was get a goal and play safe.

He should have gone then but there was still enough support for him that he could have pulled it round.

What was totally unforgivable was the loss to the blunts. There was no way back after that. It was only a matter of time.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I don’t think Carlos, Jos or Monk got a grip on it. It has happened a few times. Bruce was the only one who seemed to be able to deal with it (if he was here long enough for it to be an issue).

If Monk was to go I would hope we have someone better lined up rather than react afterwards otherwise nothing will change. Monk had us up at the top for a decent period and he has motivated teams elsewhere despite this recent slump which says more to me than a 10 game period. It’s very easy to say sack the manager every year.

It's 10 weeks - and the period from his arrival up to Christmas was only 14 weeks, so hardly much more. But in any case, if he can be given credit for his initial period, he certainly can't be excused for what's happened since.

Guest The Horse

Has there ever been a case where an ex-manager returned to a club and was successful?

Not baiting, genuinely can't think of one.

Guest LondonOwl313
13 minutes ago, The Horse said:

Has there ever been a case where an ex-manager returned to a club and was successful?

Not baiting, genuinely can't think of one.

Mourinho won the league at Chelsea when he came back 

1 hour ago, cowl said:

It's 10 weeks - and the period from his arrival up to Christmas was only 14 weeks, so hardly much more. But in any case, if he can be given credit for his initial period, he certainly can't be excused for what's happened since.

Im not excusing him or anyone else, but I think it’s more than just the manager. We have a points deduction, a history of long term injuries, a chairman who has stopped communicating and a manager picking up a squad a couple of weeks before the season started. We have tried changing manager a few times but perhaps other changes are needed.

Carlos was just a part of the DC / Doyen project aimed at getting us into the Premier League.

When they all accepted the project was dead , he went.

He was very good at recognising a player's strengths and fitting that into the team. Also very good at tactics and organisation.

But like a lot of managers he was too stubborn. They have to be stubborn otherwise they would be changing stuff every week.

But he was too stubborn.. Refused to accept that  the Wembley team needed strengthening , signed too many players as backups rather than first choice, rarely gave loans a chance,  and ran his favourite players into the ground. This led to the failure against Udders which was not a problem of tactics but a problem of team selection. He asked more than half the team to play two games in 4 days when they obviously weren't fit . This cost us in the second game where we ran out of legs.

Not that this is unusual but contributors on here have short memories.  Under Carvalhal we played great football for one year.  It was effective but not pretty the second year when he became very defensive minded.  The injuries were often viewed to be his own making with a playing staff that were not fit and the lack of respect t there was for him was highlighted in the recent Wallace interview.

Having said all that and having heard the interview his returning would not be a great surprise. It was obvious he was certainly keeping his options open by refusing to comment on the recruitment process 

The "History of long term injuries"..Its not an excuse..its a bloody lack of application and planning...a lack of resources ...its down to the club ...making crocks, and signing crocks and simply signing players who don't give a flyer.

The way I see it is ..Chansiri has all the right intentions, but has little idea of how to put it into practice, 

You can't fault the money he has put in...but its been wasted to a large extent by him thinking, simply because he funds most of it..he knows best...Its painfully obvious he doesn't.

He came into the club with money...alongside a statement of 

"I know little of football"

Well the obvious way to allay these two ..is to PAY someone who knows something about football...You have the money but not the knowledge...The glaringly obvious thing to do ..is PAY someone who has the knowledge!

Never did it...or tried it for 10 minutes an' binned it.

Although I often criticise our chairman..I find it hard to dislike him for the most part....cos I honestly still believe his intentions are genuine...but his application is f.ookin' woeful...and his statements ..oft times contradictory....

When questioned on the pricing policy he maintains that "We the fans put money in that is mainly minimal or more or less insignificant" To the running of the club

Why the bloody ridiculous pricing then?..If it makes hardly any difference to the club...Why alienate the fan base with these prices?

DTaxis..Elevate...flashing up on the screens...They don't bloody exist....Every bugger looking at the screen KNOWS this...Why sodding do it?..its sorta humiliating

It may serve some sort of purpose for financial reasons....but I honestly can't see it..

I get texts from Blades mates sayin'

"Your Dtaxi is outside....or it might just be a car"

Thx Delphjon...

12 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Agreed, I forgot how entertaining it was to watch us play slow, boring, predictable possession based football as our back 4 passed the ball amongst themselves over and over and over.

That month where we managed about 3 shots on target the whole month was a joy to watch.lol

Was that Feb this year.