Carlos is at it again..

29 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

In hindsight, we should've kept him on. Letting him go and appointing Lukuhay was the first big footballing mistake Chansiri made. Bruce aside, It's been downhill ever since.

Agree, appointing Lukuhay was a huge mistake. Letting Carlos go when he did was also a mistake, he should have gone 6 months earlier.

I liked him when he was first appointed, got us playing great football, charismatic, good with the press etc, I could see what he tried to achieve in his second season and although some of the football was dull it gave us another crack at promotion, his third season stank the place out and he deserved to go.

In hindsight he was a reasonable manager who fell short when it mattered and unforgivably gave the pigs a game they'll dine out on for years.

Good with the ladies though I'm told.

Carlos is to blame as much as Chansiri or his advisors who thought spending £8m on a 6th and 7th striker were a good idea when we clearly needed more creativity from the wings and a stronger central spine. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

In hindsight, we should've kept him on. Letting him go and appointing Lukuhay was the first big footballing mistake Chansiri made. Bruce aside, It's been downhill ever since.

Yep..should have stood by him...Not like we have been any good since he left is it?

Will get shot for this but would have him back now, least it would be entertaining.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Yep..should have stood by him...Not like we have been any good since he left is it?

Will get shot for this but would have him back now, least it would be entertaining.

The poor choice of replacement doesn't mean Carlos should have stayed

Not one bit

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

45 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

erm........Carlos......you forgot Udders mate, lessen the blow all you want, big yourself up even, but you lost us at fecking Huddersfield.

Yes , Hudders, we’ve beaten them 4 times on the trot, they’ve not laid a glove on us. So we’ll go there and put 11 men behind the ball.

This interview shows just why he needed to go and why the clamour from some for him to return is wrong. Very dogmatic, not really able to honestly reflect on some of the changes he needed to make. 

If he honestly believe he would’ve got players back fit despite them not playing for nearly 9 months after he left and that he would’ve got them promotion he’s absolutely mental.

It would be more refreshing if he just admitted he had two excellent and genuinely memorable seasons but couldn’t keep it going.  sometimes more substance and less style is needed but he still thinks he was doing a good job and was right! The “back up” players who couldn’t do the job for him were players signed on his watch and to fit his style and we are still living with it.

Just like when he reeled off those stats when Swansea went down. 

It was the derby and the lack of understanding in the interview after which really killed him off. He genuinely lost the plot the last few months here when prior to that I think he came across very calm and knowledgeable.

36 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Carlos is to blame as much as Chansiri or his advisors who thought spending £8m on a 6th and 7th striker were a good idea when we clearly needed more creativity from the wings and a stronger central spine. 

agreed. His unwillingness to play the wingers he signed in case they lost the ball and an issue with signing “bouncers” cost us in the end. It was clear we needed both. 

I'm sorry Carlos but that season wasn't getting turned around, however if and yes it's a big if, we beat hull on that day in may 2016 I do think he would have kept us up and done great. However we'll never know and it's a bit pointless to think about. Great memories when I think of Carlos though, wish him nothing but the greatest of success for the future. 

27 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

we would need an entire new team to play the possession football he would insist on playing but not the money to do it. 

That’s why we’ve gone for pragmatic managers since

14 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Yes , Hudders, we’ve beaten them 4 times on the trot, they’ve not laid a glove on us. So we’ll go there and put 11 men behind the ball.

You forgot to mention the 12 year old kid they had in goal.

1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

letting him go was right.

But there must have been 200 better managers to bring in ahead of Luhukay. The personality difference alone made it clear he would struggle. He was too quiet. 

18 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Yep. Plus it was Winnall as a new signing that made a difference at home to Huddersfield, with a bit of movement.

So when defending a lead and playing on half way, he adds Jordan Rhodes who lacks any pace whatsoever. 

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

This interview shows just why he needed to go and why the clamour from some for him to return is wrong. Very dogmatic, not really able to honestly reflect on some of the changes he needed to make. 

If he honestly believe he would’ve got players back fit despite them not playing for nearly 9 months after he left and that he would’ve got them promotion he’s absolutely mental.

It would be more refreshing if he just admitted he had two excellent and genuinely memorable seasons but couldn’t keep it going.  sometimes more substance and less style is needed but he still thinks he was doing a good job and was right! The “back up” players who couldn’t do the job for him were players signed on his watch and to fit his style and we are still living with it.

Just like when he reeled off those stats when Swansea went down. 

It was the derby and the lack of understanding in the interview after which really killed him off. He genuinely lost the plot the last few months here when prior to that I think he came across very calm and knowledgeable.

Personally I’d rather have him instead of Monk but this post does convince me it would be wrong to bring him back... yeah there was definitely no chance he would have turned season 3 around because we were already well adrift after the 8 games without a win. It’s pretty difficult to come from the outside and get in the playoffs, most of the time the teams have been in and around it all season. I can remember that thread which split the season into 15 game chunks and the first 15 games were key. Plus as you say the injuries weren’t coming back in time. He always comes across as giving a sales pitch on himself rather than being frank and honest when things aren’t good. He was a good manager for us though and went at exactly the right time. He deserved a season 3 after two consecutive play offs despite the timid Huddersfield display but it became quickly apparent things were stale 

3 minutes ago, sage owl said:

You forgot to mention the 12 year old kid they had in goal.

I forget a lot of things these days.

Although I haven’t forgot my most embarrassing day as a Wednesday fan, watching Leon Clarke make our centre halves look a pair of penguins. To not prepare your team for a game against your only proper local rivals was unforgivable. 

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Yep. Plus it was Winnall as a new signing that made a difference at home to Huddersfield, with a bit of movement.

So when defending a lead and playing on half way, he adds Jordan Rhodes who lacks any pace whatsoever. 

Was Winnall even on the bench ? 

I remember Rhodes running for the ball when he came on, he got outpaced by their 30+ year old left back who’d been on the pitch for 90 minutes.

But the chance to kill the tie had gone after the first leg. 

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Was Winnall even on the bench ? 

I remember Rhodes running for the ball when he came on, he got outpaced by their 30+ year old left back who’d been on the pitch for 90 minutes.

But the chance to kill the tie had gone after the first leg. 

not sure if he was but that would be even worse. He came on briefly at the away leg and that seemed like it was the only time we got the ball in their half on the counter in the second half. 

I appreciate it’s all well and good in hindsight as the 0-0 away was branded a defensive masterclass by sky so that we would go and win at home. But after going ahead we just got too negative. Had we nicked it (I remember Forestieri seemingly about to score but blocked) then it would be remembered differently. But the lack of pace in the side was an issue for a while.