How Sheffield Wednesday's 'Premier League fan base' provides added pressure for Moses Odubajo

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

fox as always put the effort in and never shirked and he's copped the most abuse since chris morris was here …….a lot of our fans are abysmal when it comes to backing  certain players …

I can’t argue with this at all

You are right.... and some of our fans will

never learn

I have rated Fox since he arrived and never understood the abuse he received. Not sure whether it was a pre-conception based on what the Charlton fans were saying. 

It reminds me of the absolute dogs abuse that Lewis Buxton used to get. In the end our fans were literally praying for him to sign a new contract. 

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

99% of the time it's because they hear someone else slag a player off, and not because they themselves really believe the player is poor

It becomes fashionable to slate certain players in front of your mates 

Fox, Nuhiu and of course Bullen

It's fashionable to slate em to look cool to others 

Sad times

No, it's because they've played sheite for thousands of pounds per week and are taking the pi55

Broadly, it's true that our home support isn't all that good. The ground is generally pretty quiet. And can quite readily turn abusive.

A frequent response to this is that if the team performs, then the crowd gets behind them. Which is true, but would be true for most clubs too. 

We don't tend to have the kind of home support that kicks in and can lift the team even when playing badly. I think that's been true ever since I've watched us eg I remember in the plethora of tame home draws in the 1990-91 promotion season the place largely sank into apathy.

Inspirational home support is perhaps rare, especially these days, but we have never really had it.

1 minute ago, thewookieisdown said:

Broadly, it's true that our home support isn't all that good. The ground is generally pretty quiet. And can quite readily turn abusive.

A frequent response to this is that if the team performs, then the crowd gets behind them. Which is true, but would be true for most clubs too. 

We don't tend to have the kind of home support that kicks in and can lift the team even when playing badly. I think that's been true ever since I've watched us eg I remember in the plethora of tame home draws in the 1990-91 promotion season the place largely sank into apathy.

Inspirational home support is perhaps rare, especially these days, but we have never really had it.

I agree that the home support isn’t great at all and the fans do get on the players backs more than at most other clubs. The abuse that Morgan Fox has had to endure early in his Wednesday career is completely unacceptable. 

What I would say about Hillsborough tho, is that the acoustics are not conducive to providing a good atmosphere. I think if the corners were filled in at the kop end, you would end up with a much better atmosphere as the sound would travel around the stadium. 

38 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Funny how the players who talk/complain about this sort of stuff usually amount to nothing. I can’t think of a player who complained of bad crowds and went on to have a fantastic career 

They're not complaining or using it as an excuse though

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, mcmigo said:

He isn’t Phil king or Roland Nilsson who remain the wet dreams of our old and fat fan base , so will always get pelters.

I certainly fit into one category perhaps two the wife will say but my last wet dream was in 1968. Tad harsh as a generalisation. UTO.

• Haha 2

On 22/05/2020 at 12:06, DJMortimer said:

Absolutely. People talk about the lack of atmosphere these days as if it's a modern phenomenon that only relates to us because we've been poor lately. The truth is that you could see the difference almost overnight when standing areas were removed back in the 1990s.

It's bemusing that some are oblivious to such basic human nature. Some players (John Sheridan comes to mind back in 1991) take the criticism from the crowd and use that as energy to stick it back to them. But others (like Chris Woods for example) visibly shrunk in similar circumstances, making the problem even worse. I just don't get this prevailing attitude that it should be no big deal to have 20,000 delivering instant judgement on you. Plenty of those going on about the "delicate little flowers" would not cope in those circumstances, that's for sure.

But those people aren't professional footballers on thousands or tens of thousands of pounds a week.

On 22/05/2020 at 16:41, Owling with laughter said:

They’re footballers. More than 10 clubs in this league have similar or bigger crowds than Wednesday. Are the players at those clubs not under the same pressure?

It’s excuses that’s all.

Not only that. Our players wilt playing infront of our crowd. Strange that the opposition don't find it a problem infront of our crowd.

19 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

I've been to some of the biggest stadiums in Europe 

And sat with home fans 

Wednesday fans are like pussycats compared to the Turkish club fans

It was eye opening when I lived in Newcastle when they were in the championship. 

No word of a lie they had over 40k booing the team after 5 mins for being too slow with the ball! 

A few moments aside (e.g. Booing Fox coming off, chanting Westwood's name with Dawson in goal) Wedensday fans are tame

Until yesterday I didn't realise he played in the Hull side that beat us at Wembley, he played 53 times for them that season. There's a player in there somewhere. 

Edited by Owls2k

On 22/05/2020 at 10:27, @owlstalk said:

It's interesting how more and more players are speaking about the size of our fanbase, the level of expectation, and the pressure it brings playing in front of our fans.

I wonder if it would be beneficial to have the prospective signings sitting on the Kop/North Stand before signing or something to get an idea of what's coming?

Honestly don’t see what the pressure thing is all about, other than a distraction from the truth. You want to be a footballer and at his age, he should be sure. Current silence of a half-filled Hillsborough is hardly a pressure cooker atmosphere. Said it many times-fannies the lot of them. Few players willing to roll up their sleeves and get stuck in. Leadership lacking and a malaise of mentally weak players throughout the squad. Current situation is like they have forgotten how to play football and to top it off they seem to not be arsed.

8 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Honestly don’t see what the pressure thing is all about, other than a distraction from the truth. You want to be a footballer and at his age, he should be sure. Current silence of a half-filled Hillsborough is hardly a pressure cooker atmosphere. Said it many times-fannies the lot of them. Few players willing to roll up their sleeves and get stuck in. Leadership lacking and a malaise of mentally weak players throughout the squad. Current situation is like they have forgotten how to play football and to top it off they seem to not be arsed.

Nailed it !! 

Wish these players would just shut up and let their performances dictate how they are perceived. Rather than waste effort stating what everyone already knows, why not spend time kicking a ball against a wall or their fitness. Only way to rectify things is to come back with as prepared as they can. Think they need to be reminded that their capitulation has led us from a chance at promotion to a relegation battle. Stating the obvious and dripping on about your failings is getting a bit boring.

23 hours ago, Owls2k said:

Until yesterday I didn't realise he played in the Hull side that beat us at Wembley, he played 53 times for them that season. There's a player in there somewhere. 

Maybe, but that was 4 years ago. A lot can happen to a players form in that time