Nigel Jemson nearly killed in Car Crash

Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 21.54.41.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday striker Nigel Jemson was one of a few players taking part in a TV interview about some of the battles faced by professional football players and how they overcome them. 

During that interview Nigel Jemson mentioned he nearly died whilst at Sheffield Wednesday..

"At Sheffield Wednesday, I had a car crash where I nearly died in, which wasn’t good, it took me a long time to get over that and I think it is just a general build-up over the years"

Does anyone remember anything about this?

Owlstalk Shop

I don't remember the car crash. I saw the interview (it's with Alan Biggs - on youtube). I thought he came across well. Scored 143 goals in his career - not bad. Maybe could have achieved more he felt though. Moved to S6 at least partly for the chance of playing with David Hirst. Irony being he hardly did, with one or other of them being injured. 

I think the crash was on the A57 somewhere near Worksop. I knew at the time that they said he nearly died. I don't think it was from his injuries. I think it was because the car was a mess and he could have been injured more seriously. I think he was out for a while but it didn't seem that long for how serious they were saying his accident was.

I've googled a Guardian article and it said he had ankle ligament damage, stitches and bruises. Apparently he played 51 games for us in 3 years and 6 games on loan for Grimsby in that time. He was never really a regular starter so I may be right in saying that he wasn't out for a really long period straight after the accident to still have amassed 50 games.

• Thanks 1

I remember it very well.

It was a few days after he scored the winner at Villa Park in the return match in  Big Ron's first season at Villa 

He came into the place where I worked at the time and just by coincidence during the goal celebrations one of my best mates who I worked with was on the pitch hugging him.

Another of my older workmates who served Jemson (pretty sure he purchased a video) asked him if he remembered the guy who hugged him as he worked with us.

Jemson replied to all amusement "all I remember is he stunk of Ale".

It was after leaving our workplace on his way home that he crashed his car (I've got Worksop area in my head but could wrong).

I used to wind my pal up that having seen him, the effect he had on Jemson was that he promptly nearly killed himself.

Edited by OWL1969
  • Haha 6

The crash was a real shame, as he was starting to look a really decent player. A proper box striker, he had really good movement in the box and a bit of a streak about him. Was never the same player after the crash, lost his pace and confidence.

14 hours ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

I don't remember the car crash. I saw the interview (it's with Alan Biggs - on youtube). I thought he came across well. Scored 143 goals in his career - not bad. Maybe could have achieved more he felt though. Moved to S6 at least partly for the chance of playing with David Hirst. Irony being he hardly did, with one or other of them being injured. 

I remember chatting with him about David Hirst. He’d played with both him and Shearer with England, U21 I think but might be wrong. He said that at that time, he rated Hirst as the better player. 

I’ve met a lot of people in football, players, managers, even owners, but without a doubt,  Jemson has the least issues with self doubt!

20 hours ago, WBridgfordowl said:

I remember chatting with him about David Hirst. He’d played with both him and Shearer with England, U21 I think but might be wrong. He said that at that time, he rated Hirst as the better player. 

I’ve met a lot of people in football, players, managers, even owners, but without a doubt,  Jemson has the least issues with self doubt!

You’re right about that last bit. He tried his luck with my (now ex) girlfriend on a couple of occasions. Didn’t seem to understand the word no. 
Obviously fame, good looks and money can’t buy everything.

lol