BREAKING - EFL Statement

Guest Grandad

21 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

The EFL should grow a pair and just abandon the season and wipe it from the records and everyone starts again in August in the divisions they were in at the start of this season. Just void this season. 

If the clubs don’t want that then that simply isn’t going to work. 

20 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Mate the EFL are the clubs, so of course they're going to put it all on the clubs as that's their purpose, to do what's right for the majority of clubs. They aren't an independent governing body, its just 72 clubs with an equal share in the decision making process

Yeah, i know that they vote some of the rules in, but there is still some one/person/persons/group or whatever, that write these out in the first place.

The clubs do not bring them to the table.

10 hours ago, BIG D said:

I agree, they wouldn’t relegate us this season, we’ll be starting with a points deduction next year. 

Think there would be a legal challenge if any points deduction is applied this season as the season should now be over, and the decision hasn't been made in time

Sure there isn't a rule that says in circumstances such as these a points deduction can be applied after the supposed end of the season, so if there is a points deduction I think it will be applied next season, unless we agree to it applied this season because it wont relegate us

11 hours ago, MAL said:

Yeah, i know that they vote some of the rules in, but there is still some one/person/persons/group or whatever, that write these out in the first place.

The clubs do not bring them to the table.

Surely it is not that difficult to understand?

The EFL board and employees administer the competition on behalf of the clubs.

Do you think that Government ministers write out new laws themselves or get civil servants and lawyers to do it for them? 

The EFL board are the ones that have decided that the two options are either play on and complete the season, or finish now and finalise league positions by PPG. 

These options are to be voted on by each division seperately.

This is who makes up of the board (edited) from the EFL website. Two thirds of the board is made up of club directors.

The EFL Board of Directors is responsible for providing the organisation's strategic direction. 

The board consists of nine directors, six of whom are divisional representatives elected by member clubs. The divisional representatives include three directors from Championship clubs, two from League One clubs and one from a League Two club. The remaining three directors are independent of clubs and include the interim chair, the chief executive and an independent non-executive director.

Rick Parry 

Chairman

One of the UK’s most experienced leaders in football, Rick Parry - Chairman of the EFL Board - served as both chief executive of the Premier League between 1991 and 1997, and Liverpool Football Club between 1997 and 2009.

Debbie Jevans CBE

Senior Independent Non-Executive Director

Debbie Jevans joined the Board of the EFL in 2014, with her addition bringing an independent voice to its decision-making process.

A former professional tennis player, Jevans is on the Board of Sport England and was voted the most influential woman in British Sport in early 2014 by the Guardian.

Simon Bazalgette

Independent Non-Executive Director

Considered to be one of the most influential figures in UK sport, Bazalgette has been head of The Jockey Club, the largest commercial group in British horse racing, for more than a decade. 

He remains a non-executive director of RMG, as well as the Racecourse Association; Great British Racing the sport’s marketing arm; and Britbet, which manages the pool betting service at 55 British racecourses. 

Bazalgette, who is a lifelong Brentford supporter, has considerable experience of working in multi-stakeholder environments, where the ability to build and maintain mutually-beneficial relationships is essential to long-term sustainability and prosperity, such as between the League and its Members. 

Club representatives

Mark Ashton - Championship Director – Bristol City

Stephen Pearce - Championship Director – Derby County

Nigel Howe - Championship Director – Reading

Jez Moxey - League One Director – Burton Albion

Steven Curwood - League One Director - Fleetwood Town

John Nixon - League Two Director – Carlisle United

15 hours ago, rickygoo said:

If the clubs don’t want that then that simply isn’t going to work. 

The EFL are in charge of the competition, they could quite easily do it. They are the governing body. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

The EFL board are the ones that have decided that the two options are either play on and complete the season, or finish now and finalise league positions by PPG. 

Which as I understand it is because most clubs didn't want to simply void the season. 

Just now, rickygoo said:

Which as I understand it is because most clubs didn't want to simply void the season. 

Most people dont want to lose their job and suffer loss of loved ones. Tough they will have to get used to it , football is irrelevant at the moment.

Time to move onto and end the farce.

7 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

The EFL are in charge of the competition, they could quite easily do it. They are the governing body. 

The EFL is the clubs. The Board provides "strategic direction". The FA is the governing body.

4 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

Most people dont want to lose their job and suffer loss of loved ones. Tough they will have to get used to it , football is irrelevant at the moment.

Time to move onto and end the farce.

Football is irrelevant so what does it matter to you whether they use PPG to decide positions or try and play on? Let them get on with it. 

9 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Looks that way, voiding would mean no promotion or relegation.

You would think the 3 champ directors and 2 league 1 directors on the board sounded out the other clubs in their divisions to reach a consensus that voiding wasn't an option.

Though there's still the issue of the EPL. They will have to come up with similar options for when they vote. If they decide to go with no relegation then that could scupper promotion from the championship. 

I can't see the EPL going with 23 teams next season.

5 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Looks that way, voiding would mean no promotion or relegation.

You would think the 3 champ directors and 2 league 1 directors on the board sounded out the other clubs in their divisions to reach a consensus that voiding wasn't an option.

Though there's still the issue of the EPL. They will have to come up with similar options for when they vote. If they decide to go with no relegation then that could scupper promotion from the championship. 

I can't see the EPL going with 23 teams next season.

i was reading that the FA were insisting on relegation. 

12 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

i was reading that the FA were insisting on relegation. 

I don't know if the FA have that much influence on the EPL.

It's a bit of a grey area but the EPL is an entirely seperate company run by it's shareholders, the 20 clubs.

They make their own decisions when it comes to how the league is run.

Whereas the FA are responsible for the governance of football in England i.e. the football side of things such as rules and discipline.

42 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Football is irrelevant so what does it matter to you whether they use PPG to decide positions or try and play on? Let them get on with it. 

Surely void the season, promotion and relegation on current standings, and no play offs. 

1 minute ago, Big Jack said:

Surely void the season, promotion and relegation on current standings, and no play offs. 

Then that's not voiding the season, voiding means it didn't take place, so no promotion or relegation

a majority would have to agree to the promotion / relegation based on what ever way they want, but unless there is a rule that says changes to the rules of the competitions can be made mid season it still wont stop potential legal action

1 minute ago, the third man said:

Then that's not voiding the season, voiding means it didn't take place, so no promotion or relegation

a majority would have to agree to the promotion / relegation based on what ever way they want, but unless there is a rule that says changes to the rules of the competitions can be made mid season it still wont stop potential legal action

Which to me is why they have to let the clubs decide between themselves. 

22 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Which to me is why they have to let the clubs decide between themselves. 

I cant see how any agreement wont be open to legal action unless there is something in the rules that allows for changes to be made to the competitions mid season

I would imaging going forward something will be written in the rules in case this happens again

11 minutes ago, the third man said:

I cant see how any agreement wont be open to legal action unless there is something in the rules that allows for changes to be made to the competitions mid season

I would imaging going forward something will be written in the rules in case this happens again

It's a nightmare. I'm sure the rules will be amended to cover it should it happen again.

17 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

According to Nixon Prem clubs are being asked to give 200 million to a EFL clubs. with the way it’s split would mean 6.6 million to Championship clubs. Prem want “something back” over it. 

Is it a column piece or twitter that he's saying that ?

Do we know what the "something back" is ?