BREAKING - EFL Statement

Guest Grandad

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

Often rumoured is that October will be the time fans are allowed back in stadiums

Place this season on hold until fans are allowed in

Complete the 9 games before Christmas, including the full FA Cup programme

Start the next season in March 2021, meaning no games over the toughest winter months

Play on through the summer, conclude the season in November 2021... 

Then do the same the following season, meaning the football season will finish just in time for Qatar World Cup, our players will all be match fit too.

After the World Cup start again in March, and let football become a sport played March to November permanently

We don't have to freeze our nuts off any more then

Go on. Admit it. It's a genius idea

What about the Euros next Summer?

6 hours ago, BIG D said:

What about expired contracts / transfer window?

Not read the full thread so apologies if mentioned BUT

How are Wednesday and Derby supposed to vote when we don’t know if we will have points deducted? Or will ending the season mean any points deduction would be next season?

Guest Mcguigan
17 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

So you'd have to think votes would look something like:

Leeds - End it

WBA - End it

Fulham - Play on

Brentford - End it

Forest - End it

Preston - End it

Bristol City - Play on

Millwall - Play on

Cardiff - Play on

Blackburn - Play on

Swansea - Play on

Derby - Play on

QPR - Play on

Reading - End it

Wednesday - End it

Birmingham - End it

Stoke - End it

Hudds - End it

Boro - End it

Wigan - End it

Hull - End it

Charlton - Play on

Luton - Play on

Barnsley - Play on

So by that count I have Play on = 11, End it = 13.

It's on a knife edge!

Leeds CEO hinting that they will vote to play on.

"If Leeds United wanted to be opportunist we could have seized on this ‘point per game’ commitment to push for an early curtailment in concert with some already very vocal self-interests.

However, our intention has always been to do all we can to complete this season where we started it – on the pitch."

Guest Grandad
7 hours ago, BIG D said:

Play them in the winter

Or, have a summer break of 1 month every year halfway thru the season

It's genius isn't it

12 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

It means the below.  The top and bottom 3 remain the same if it's calculated weighted or unweighted...so at least nobody can argue about that.

1613099665_GUPVBONVNFFPPDFBOY3N2SACWA(1).jpg.504a7592586ea04f02a33e099bdc9532.jpg

So, with a 12 points reduction, we’d be relegated falling 0.23 points short of survival? Sounds about right.

Nightmare scenario. We’d argue the T055 for months as to which dropped clanger on the pitch sent us down. lol

Edited by theowlsman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mcguigan said:

"If Leeds United wanted to be opportunist we could have seized on this ‘point per game’ commitment to push for an early curtailment in concert with some already very vocal self-interests.

However, our intention has always been to do all we can to complete this season where we started it – on the pitch."

I think we will vote the same way too

40 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

So, with a 12 points reduction, we’d be relegated falling 0.23 points short of survival? Sounds about right.

Nightmare scenario. We’d argue the T055 for months as to which dropped clanger on the pitch sent us down. lol

I think that argument would be irrelevant as any pitch based clanger would be insignificant compared to Chansiri's decision to completely ignore / circumvent FFP rule.

Any relegation would be totally the responsibility of the chairman. 

1 hour ago, Mcguigan said:

If that is correct then Leeds are taking a huge gamble thinking about how they folded last season..... nobody has a clue how there team will perform after a 2 month lay off

Fair play to them.....I wonder if the results of the vote will be published for all to see how their club voted?

Guest Mcguigan
1 minute ago, nbupperthongowl said:

If that is correct then Leeds are taking a huge gamble thinking about how they folded last season..... nobody has a clue how there team will perform after a 2 month lay off

Fair play to them.....I wonder if the results of the vote will be published for all to see how their club voted?

Bielsa's probably had them running half marathons every day.

Guest The Horse
9 hours ago, Grandad said:

Only 1 Champs League fixture in early December then nothing till end Feb

So players still get 10 weeks off

IT WORKS. IT'S GENIUS

It is genius.
I said the same a year or so ago when people were complaining about watching us get beat in the freezing cold and dark nights.
Be brilliant going to the beer gardens first, then watching us play in the warm sunshine and leaving the ground when it's still light.
Only, in my version the leagues all conclude on Christmas Eve. Would be brilliant celebrations for the winners and an excuse to drown your sorrows for the losers.
World cups, Euros etc get played in the depths of the new winter break.
Means most players avoid the cold months where there's more chance of injury and can bugger off somehwere hot abroad and recuperate for their hols.
It is indeed geniuis. I'm in.

Weirdly, if we are to get a points deduction, I'd take it this year and get relegated. 
Next season is going to be a shambles and hardly one for the fans. It won't make a blind difference what league we are in, stadiums will be half empty if that.

If we start next season with a points deduction, and possibly a new team, could be really difficult and push us back years.
I'd fancy us to quickly return from league one next year if we had Monk and a few of the squad we currently have.

Guest Mcguigan

If the vote goes ahead before any punishments are handed out, then I think its safe to assume any points penalties against ourselves or Derby will be active from next season.

Charlton could vote to play on, as things stand but if they'd had assurances a 15 point deduction was heading our way, I'm sure they'd vote end now.

Similar with Luton, if ourselves and Derby both got 15 points, both them and Charlton would be voting end now rather than play on. So many variables in this, not sure how it resolves itself.

Any plan is going to be ruined by a second wave, therefore better to end season now. Plan for next season including plans for playing in empty stadiums if ultimately necessary. To start again now then stop before completion would make it an even bigger fiasco. 

• Like 1

just isn't any point to any football without fans. I tried watching german football last week ,I turned it off after 10 mins its just not the same . what we need is leader ship and common sense in everything , just accept this virus is here for years and create a risk assessment ,the chances of surviving this for the old and frail will hopefully be higher with certain treatments they are going to try ,and the antibody test ,tracing app will also help . we are human beings who interreact curbing that for years to come makes no sense ,life needs to get back to some normality by the autumn which involves going to football ,kids/young adults playing it.  why ruin young peoples lives? missing out on school , interacting with there friends and so much more for what? its madness but you don't have to agree with me. 

18 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

just isn't any point to any football without fans. I tried watching german football last week ,I turned it off after 10 mins its just not the same . what we need is leader ship and common sense in everything , just accept this virus is here for years and create a risk assessment ,the chances of surviving this for the old and frail will hopefully be higher with certain treatments they are going to try ,and the antibody test ,tracing app will also help . we are human beings who interreact curbing that for years to come makes no sense ,life needs to get back to some normality by the autumn which involves going to football ,kids/young adults playing it.  why ruin young peoples lives? missing out on school , interacting with there friends and so much more for what? its madness but you don't have to agree with me. 

• Making sure people can get care when they need to by managing the flow into the NHS. 
  • Lowering the risk of people dying until more research can be completed - like todays T-cell news. 
  • Stopping needless deaths. 

There is a balance with quality of life and preserving life. There is with many decisions that governments make. In this case, the risk to life was too high and the balance tipped to preserving life. Now we understand more things will get back to a new normal. Humans are social creatures, but asking you to be sensible, not attend football and interact in different ways isn't a ridiculous ask. You're not been asked to enlist and throw yourself into oncoming fire. 

EDIT: Now back on topic. Football is a game and this situation is farcical. Can we not just resume the season when its safe to do so then assess? 

Edited by cardiffowl06

9 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

Football is not like any other business when it comes to press coverage though is it? I appreciate image as portrayed in the media can have a negative impact on a business but football fans are not going to turn their backs on their clubs because of the media. 

This is not just about what division a club is playing in next season there’s far more at stake such as people’s livelihoods and I’m not talking players. Back room staff, office staff, hospitality staff and cleaners etc. may all lose their jobs if a clubs income in dramatically cut.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Stay safe.

Understand your views but obviously we disagree

Football fans may not turn their back on teams due to poor media relations but sponsors might. 

You might save some redundancies if you don't relegate teams but you would deny new jobs and pay rises at the clubs denied promotion. In some cases even force redundancies at the clubs denied promotion if they've made a real push and were delivering on that gamble. 

I find it hard to feel huge sympathy for teams due to be relegated via this method, they are there on merit or lack thereof it and saving them by penalising the successful teams is the wrong way to go IMO. 

You stay safe too and it's great to have differing views even if we don't agree

45 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

I agree with this and expect this will be how things pan out.

Although be interesting so see how the south stand werthers brigade carry on sucking through the masks without passing out:

2500.jpg?width=1225&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=0a55414ec75be81a4444e5bf3a569790

10 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Still think best option is just void with no promotion or relegation. Least it would be consistent yes some clubs would sue but some are going to anyway.

There are problems with any solution but I agree that voiding with no up or downs is the fairest