Garry Monk “I hear the word ‘integrity’ a lot at the moment”

9 hours ago, rickygoo said:

It's not like those press briefings aren't politicising it in any way - telling us how great they've been at dealing with it.  Lying to get out of political holes.

Some governments have dealt with the pandemic better than others - and maintained health systems over the years that are in a better shape to deal with it than others.  And that performance at its heart - for better or worse - is a political thing ultimately.  

It's the sanctimonious media and their ridiculous questioning in pursuit of ratings that is stirring the politcal debate. All the Government are doing is answering their questions. If the media are trying to force them in to holes, you can hardly blame them for trying to get out.

As for the health system, some would argue that the Tories haven't invested enough. Others would say that Labour typically left nothing in the pot when they left power, and prior to that invited everyone to come and live here, putting all of our infrastructure under immense pressure.

I understand and appreciate accountability. If Labour had been in charge - and I am no fan of Labour at all - I would be defending them in the same way. It's tough for any Government when they have no previous information, processes or ideas to fall back on. When all of this is done and dusted, then both parties can sit down and look at what went right and what went wrong, and find a way to ensure that in the future, should this happen again, that as a country we are better equiped from a knowledge base, and better prepared to deal with it.

2 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

Others would say that Labour typically left nothing in the pot when they left power, and prior to that invited everyone to come and live here, putting all of our infrastructure under immense pressure.

But now I see where you are coming from.  Nuff said. 

15 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

With some fans he's already in that place so many of our managers have found themselves where literally everything they do causes high blood pressures.

I agree, ive never been one of those fans ive always been quite laid back and aired my view when i can but Monk is the first manager that has made me feel like this.

There is nothing wrong with what he has said in the interview above. But he is that bad of a manager the fact he hasnt said 'Im handing in my resignation' has wound me up.

Really dont rate or like the bloke.

29 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

That is nonsense.

No it isn't. Do you actually listen to the press conferences?

28 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

But now I see where you are coming from.  Nuff said. 

Glad you do. It's not rocket science after all. 😀

2 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

No it isn't. Do you actually listen to the press conferences?

Yes I have and watched Question Time, Newsnight etc etc. I can recognise propaganda and grandstanding when I see it.  From the very start those pressers have been as much about them telling us how brilliant they are and how on top of everything they are as they have been about imparting vital information. 

51 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

From Garry Monk and integrity to Boris Johnson being allowed to get away with his lack of it. That's one helluva derailed thread!

It's the owlstalk way. Although not going to start debating left or right. Be hear all day.

Just now, rickygoo said:

You can never call classic UKIP-style rounduns any kind of science to be honest.  

UKIP! Are you for real? I'm quoting facts, not fiction. I'm also glad that stain of a party no longer exists. 

My late wife worked in the DWP. She was often in Whitehall, Brussels and other European countries respresenting the UK at trade delegations. When Blair came to power she was asked to rewrite the policy for Immigration. She did and upon presenting it to Blair he said "Lesley, it is all well and good trying to reduce the numbers, but immigrants get me votes". Would you like to argue with that statement or suggest that didn't happen?

For the record, I am the least racist, xenophobic person you would ever meet. I love the fact the our country has so much diversity. However, we are an island, with finite resources and finite space, and we have way too many people living in this country bleeding the state dry. Both British and non British. I have zero objection to immigration as long as that immigration is managed, and it hasn't been.

I'm done with this debate.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

I have worked all the way through ,Parts for generators at Nightingale hospital ,I am sick to the back teeth of these footballers bleating is it safe ,Is it safe ,I have worked and got on with it ,Wife works at supermarket she has got on with it .

That statement of yours has made someone feel sad apparently.....strange folk on here 

11 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

Would you like to argue with that statement or suggest that didn't happen?

How on earth could I do that - but it isn't the only reason for immigration and definitely not the only benefit, as we'll find out if they start getting kicked out/decide to leave.

Calculating how much it is the indigenous population and how much it is immigrants "bleeding the state dry" is a tricky one to make. 

I wonder what Garry Monk would make of it. 

18 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

How they turn up to work each day in those conditions, knowing that they're going into covid wards without the proper protection, I have no idea.

No different to a British Soldier in Iraq and Afghanistan until the campaigns had been going for a number of years. Not saying that it's right but sometimes you just have to get on with it and do the job

22 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

No different to a British Soldier in Iraq and Afghanistan until the campaigns had been going for a number of years. Not saying that it's right but sometimes you just have to get on with it and do the job

Surely there's a considerable difference in the degree of risks you're knowingly signing up to? Soldiers are required to enter arenas where guns and explosives are used indiscriminately and people are actively trying to kill them in large numbers. Nurses and care workers look after people suffering from health problems. It is entirely reasonable for them to assume that equipment will be available for them to mitigate some of those risks. Not much you can wear to protect you from a bomb landing on your head though.

Edited by DJMortimer

Sorry Gary but the last thing our squad needs is a period of full contact training we won't have any players left to play.

Most of the have glass ankles, and some of them (Luongo, Lee) seem to fall down injured if the wind is too strong. lol

37 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Surely there's a considerable difference in the degree of risks you're knowingly signing up to? Soldiers are required to enter arenas where guns and explosives are used indiscriminately and people are actively trying to kill them in large numbers. Nurses and care workers look after people suffering from health problems. It is entirely reasonable for them to assume that equipment will be available for them to mitigate some of those risks. Not much you can wear to protect you from a bomb landing on your head though.

No difference in that you accept a risk when signing up to do whatever job - you do however expect your employer to mitigate that risk whether that be in the guise of correct equipment or training etc