Garry Monk “I hear the word ‘integrity’ a lot at the moment”

BF6B03D7-CE25-4DB2-BE3A-61DD7B7B3264.jpeg

On the official SWFC website today - With light at the end of the tunnel for the return of football, Garry Monk has warned of the perils of pushing players too far too soon down the track.

The Owls are set to report for phased training next Monday as the game enters into its first recovery programme from the impact of coronavirus.

And manager Monk has laid clear what he believes are minimum parameters before the Championship season can resume.

He said: “If you take any normal situation, players will have anything from seven to nine weeks off over the summer and they will follow a home plan in that period.

So we are in that equation now. Yes, they’ve had home programmes but they will be in pretty much the same condition after having a normal summer break.

“So in terms of preparation, this is the biggest concern, in terms of the welfare of the players and managers preparing football teams to play matches.

I hear the word ‘integrity’ a lot at the moment and to have integrity we need a proper period of full contact training to get the players anywhere near to be ready for a game.

“And let’s not forget that we’re going to have to go into – and this is the unknown because we have no idea about schedules – a short and intense period of games. We haven’t even got phase three signed off yet, and we’re going to need at least four weeks of phase three, let alone nine games in a short period of time so this is a big concern for all the managers and what we spoke about.

“It’s certainly not as straightforward as just coming back and having three or four weeks training then going straight into games, there has to be the best possible care and that was one of the points the managers were trying to get across in the meeting last week.”

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

He's going to get some r8 flak for talking common sense on here.

With some fans he's already in that place so many of our managers have found themselves where literally everything they do causes high blood pressures.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Integrity ,Turn up ,Pay your money and watch a load of millionaires kick a ball on a pitch.The only reason the Premier league is going to start ,Is because Sky have made threats of law suits of £500  million against it .

To be fair if the Government say it's safe then there are worse reasons!

Just now, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

This Government  ,I have a Daughter who is a Nurse and the supply of PPE has been a pee take ,This Government are clueless 

I'm not a Boris fan - anything but - but we are all heading towards going back to work and football will ultimately be no different. They'll be a lot safer than the people who have to pack onto crowded trains and work in most "normal" jobs. I don't think they should go back when there are other solutions but I can sort understand why they want to go back. They are like every other business - no better, no worse really.

3 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I'm not a Boris fan - anything but - but we are all heading towards going back to work and football will ultimately be no different. They'll be a lot safer than the people who have to pack onto crowded trains and work in most "normal" jobs. I don't think they should go back when there are other solutions but I can sort understand why they want to go back. They are like every other business - no better, no worse really.

I have worked all the way through ,Parts for generators at Nightingale hospital ,I am sick to the back teeth of these footballers bleating is it safe ,Is it safe ,I have worked and got on with it ,Wife works at supermarket she has got on with it .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

To be fair if the Government say it's safe then there are worse reasons!

If this government say it's safe, then that's as good a reason as any to be wary!

:duntmatter:

My friends work in A&E and were given PPE with 'asbestos' written across it and masks with an expiry date of 2019, which when peeled off revealed the original expiry date of 2016.

All while government ministers pat themselves on the back for getting PPE into hospitals and clap for the NHS workers.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

With light at the end of the tunnel for the return of football,  Sheffield wednesday supporters are warned the light is attached to a freight train of doom. 

• Haha 2

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

My friends work in A&E and were given PPE with 'asbestos' written across it and masks with an expiry date of 2019, which when peeled off revealed the original expiry date of 2016.

I have some numbers they can call if they’ve been mis-sold PPE

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

I have worked all the way through ,Parts for generators at Nightingale hospital ,I am sick to the back teeth of these footballers bleating is it safe ,Is it safe ,I have worked and got on with it ,Wife works at supermarket she has got on with it .

But you and your wife are key workers  football is not!  Think people are getting too casual with it,  seeing  30 odd thousand dead is just seen as a number and not 30 odd thousand distraught families. I've been furloughed (work in construction) and due to how my wage is structured I get les than half my weekly wage but I'd rather struggle for a few more weeks than put family at risk. I just find it a disgrace that money is driving football to return. I can only see a second wave coming unfortunately. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If this government say it's safe, then that's as good a reason as any to be wary!

:duntmatter:

All while government ministers pat themselves on the back for getting PPE into hospitals and clap for the NHS workers.

Probably a FFP-3 grade mask suitable for asbestos sampling work. Agreed: the out of date but is of concern

5 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Probably a FFP-3 grade mask suitable for asbestos sampling work. Agreed: the out of date but is of concern

It was the suits that had 'asbestos' written on them, apparently. The masks were four years past their expiry date.

How they turn up to work each day in those conditions, knowing that they're going into covid wards without the proper protection, I have no idea.

And yet when we chat to them they seem as calm as they ever do and somehow take it in their stride.

It's an overused cliche, but they are heroes, and deserving of so much better than they're getting right now.

1 hour ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

For someone who thinks the government is clueless, that reads like you'd fit right in

1 hour ago, Jeffjohnsonmyhero said:

Integrity ,Turn up ,Pay your money and watch a load of millionaires kick a ball on a pitch.The only reason the Premier league is going to start ,Is because Sky have made threats of law suits of £500  million against it .

No they haven’t. 

They have a contracted number of games for which they will pay a fixed amount.

if the league fail to honour that contract there is no need for any lawyers to get involved. 

They will do some sort of deal like any supplier and buyer would in this situation.