Boozy footballers

For anyone who's not been watching Harry's Heroes on TV at the moment I can definitely recommend it

It opens up football like never before

This particular clip should be watched by any Wednesday fan who think the boozy antics of Hirsty, Palmer, Sheridan and co are funny or something to be celebrated or cheered on.

It shows the after effects 

Not sure when the next episode is on but definitely give it a watch (it's not all about this subject - it's a lot more fun that this!)

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Grez Bez

Great show but the boozy stories are still superb.

I love hearing about the antics of 90s footballers

Guest Grez Bez
7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah

And then seeing them now a suicidal shell of themselves

REYT LAUGH

That's a really weird way to look at it.

I never said anyone being suicidal is funny. Point stands, the boozy stories are!

To be honest ito just the same as most working class blokes int it?

I worked with blokes in the past who thought nowt of sinking 10 to 12 pints like it were normal. To them it were normal. 

Not saying it's reight, and loads of em are dead now. 

Think it's the time too. The whole country has a boozing culture.

I was working in boozers when all day opening came in.

I remember Blair saying sumat along the lines of us being like our European mates and being able to enjoy an afternoon glass of winew with us snap.

He were forgetting one thing. We, at that time anyroad, had a completely different booze culture. Oh, and shyte weather. 

Folks just started getting pissed all day them that could.

Edited by DEH9

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

2 minutes ago, DEH9 said:

To be honest ito just the same as most working class blokes int it?

I worked with blokes in the past whow thought nowt of sinking 10 to 12 pints like it were normal. To them it were normal. 

Not saying it's reight, and loads of em are dead now. 

Think it's the time too. The whole country has a boozing culture.

I was working in boozers when all day opening came in.

I remember Blair saying sumat along the linescapable of us being like our European mates and being able to enjoy an afternoon glass of winew with us snap.

He were forgetting one thing. We, at that time anyroad, had a completely different booze culture. Oh, and shyte weather. 

Folks just started getting pissed all day them that could.

I think people are realising that  the days of egging footballers on to drink loads and have funny stories are rightly over.

The aftermath of that generation is horrific.

Mental breakdowns all over the place.

Suicidal ex footballers in a right mess

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think people are realising that  the days of egging footballers on to drink loads and have funny stories are rightly over.

The aftermath of that generation is horrific.

Mental breakdowns all over the place.

Suicidal ex footballers in a right mess

I think a lot of that is to do with the fact the retire 20/30 years before very one else and suddenly have a vacuum. 

For olden days players they might takeon a boozer or a shop, something to have to get up for. 

Theses who've earnt a fortune and don't need to do anything after, while they are still quite young have time to fill. 

And the devil makes use for idle hands or sumat.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

We had a bloke used to comega in the boozer.

Big bloke. Great character. But one new year he had a massive stroke.

Could've killed him. 

10 days later he rocks up.

I says "You shouldn't be here, I know for a fact that your doctor said you had to give it up. I bumped into your lass at the shops"

"He's told me to give up the beer son, it's true, which is why imanufacturers moving onto lager. Pint of export please" 

Yer couldn't tell him. It was jut how a generation of blokes were brought up - Work hard, play hard. 

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

There is nothing wrong with boozing if your a footballer I have always said that, just do it in moderation and controlled. Don't do it night before a game or training. Do it on a Saturday Night.

Do it in the summer.

This 

Alcohol isn’t the issue at all. People get addicted to all sorts of things. Gambling, drugs, sex, social media, food etc etc 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

There is nothing wrong with boozing if your a footballer I have always said that, just do it in moderation and controlled. Don't do it night before a game or training. Do it on a Saturday Night.

Do it in the summer.

To be fair to Merse he did drink on a Saturday night and in the Summer....Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Spring, Autumn, bank holidays, special occasions, Fridays....

His book is amazing. He was a complete car crash. His coke habit was off the scale.

Good story about when he took a dump on Seaman’s bed.

Knew many chaps who could down 10-12 pints on Sun Night, then go in at 6am Mon and do a full shift underground. Also many in the Steel and iron works, similar. Can't recall many suffering Can't recall many 'Mental Breakdowns ' either.

Trouble with a lot of Footballers of today is that they are 'modern' Theydon't simply stick toale, but start mixing cocktails and shorts , and like many of today's fans, have to go OTT .

This, together with an excess of cash, and an inveterate desire to show off doesnt help.

5 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Knew many chaps who could down 10-12 pints on Sun Night, then go in at 6am Mon and do a full shift underground. Also many in the Steel and iron works, similar. Can't recall many suffering Can't recall many 'Mental Breakdowns ' either.

I think what you're suffering from here is 'The 1970's'

It's a disease that affects millions of people

It's symptoms include thinking they're able to see inside someone else's head and seeing their lives behind closed doors and seeing behind the bravado of hanging out with their mates down the pub.

I wish you well overcoming the disease because once you do your eyes will be open massively

lol

Owlstalk Shop