Barnsley amongst clubs threatening to sue EFL if we arent relegated

Guest Grandad

Guest Grandad
38 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah I'm not sure who it's from 

@Grandad does it say who/where the quote is from? (e.g Barnsley FC)?

It wasn't the Barnsley owner who made the quote

He (Paul Conway) said "

“People seem to think little old Barnsley will follow the rules and not make a fuss,” Conway told The Athletic.

“If we’ve been wronged as a result of the league not following its own rules, then it stands to reason that we’d go against the league and its TV money and ask them to pay us the difference in revenue. We think that’s fair and we hope it will benefit other clubs who follow the rules and try to develop young talent.

“I’m an American and in American sports, we self-regulate — if someone breaks the rules, they are cheating the rest of us and we take action.

“We went through this two years ago, when we were five minutes from staying up on the last day only for Bolton to win and go above us. Everyone knew they were cheating the system and were hundreds of millions in debt.

“We decided not to do anything about it then but our attitude has changed. Relegation to League One cost us about £7 million in revenue. If something like that happens again, we’ll make a claim and we think we’ll have a strong case. We’re not asking for a change in the rules. We are asking for the rules to be followed.”"

The Prince Andrew quote came from another 'club owner - who did not want to be named'

So - it definitely wasnt from a fans forum

1 minute ago, the monk said:

Tells me hes not allowed by the rules to put anymore of his own money in

Given it's unlikely that the 10 year season ticket would generate sales from people who were new customers meaning it could have adverse effects on FFP figures  it suggested cashflow was possibly an issue - the same for the very early early bird. It may also be an attempt to firm up future season ticket sales but it was a strange tactic and a strange deal. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Grandad said:

It wasn't the Barnsley owner who made the quote

He (Paul Conway) said "

“People seem to think little old Barnsley will follow the rules and not make a fuss,” Conway told The Athletic.

“If we’ve been wronged as a result of the league not following its own rules, then it stands to reason that we’d go against the league and its TV money and ask them to pay us the difference in revenue. We think that’s fair and we hope it will benefit other clubs who follow the rules and try to develop young talent.

“I’m an American and in American sports, we self-regulate — if someone breaks the rules, they are cheating the rest of us and we take action.

“We went through this two years ago, when we were five minutes from staying up on the last day only for Bolton to win and go above us. Everyone knew they were cheating the system and were hundreds of millions in debt.

“We decided not to do anything about it then but our attitude has changed. Relegation to League One cost us about £7 million in revenue. If something like that happens again, we’ll make a claim and we think we’ll have a strong case. We’re not asking for a change in the rules. We are asking for the rules to be followed.”"

The Prince Andrew quote came from another 'club owner - who did not want to be named'

So - it definitely wasnt from a fans forum

The Prince Andrew quote is just mindblowing

Not seen a quote like that in years. (if EVER)

Owlstalk Shop

If Chansiri is on the brink as has been suggested then you’d expect him to be looking for an escape route? His recent interview with Doom suggested he was here for the long haul?

Then again all these threads descend into whether you’re Pro-Chansiri /Anti-Chansiri  and we haven’t had a good one for a while? 

My stance is wait and see. Chansiri has made some good decisions and some not so good and I do think should he stay here then he will have to change some aspects of the way he runs the club? But when all is said and done, it’s up to him and apart from starving of income on a match day which is happening now anyway due to Covid-19, there’s not a lot we can do?

Guest Grandad

i considered cutting and pasting the article from the Athletic but

Thats the journalists form of income

AND

The Atheltic regularly post content far more revealing, impartial and well researched than ANYTHING by our more well known club journos.

Its £4.99 a month and the only subscription I have to any news on anything.

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

AND

The Atheltic regularly post content far more revealing, impartial and well researched than ANYTHING by our more well known club journos.

Good point well made and sorted. 

lol

Edited by rickygoo
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

AND

Agree - the post should be removed, good to discuss it but these sites rely on traffic and ads

2 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Didnt want to be named cause he would be sued if he was named.

Very cowardly

I think we can all take an educated guess as to who made those comments? 😝