Barnsley amongst clubs threatening to sue EFL if we arent relegated

Guest Grandad

Just now, vulva said:

Think you are confusing the points. I’d imagine we have wasted the equivalent of a seasons parachute payments on players wages and transfer fees since DC came in. 

Our problem isn’t FFP, and it’s rules. Our problem is the lack of a sensible and coherent plan, with those rules in mind. 

Correct.... especially having a plan when it was obvious we were going to smash the £39m a year or more in advance of it happening, but we kept doing the same thing

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Think you are confusing the points. I’d imagine we have wasted the equivalent of a seasons parachute payments on players wages and transfer fees since DC came in. 

Our problem isn’t FFP, and it’s rules. Our problem is the lack of a sensible and coherent plan, with those rules in mind. 

Agreed, post Wembley our spending has been daft. No one was complaining when we were getting into the play offs though? We gambled, it didn’t pay off, that’s football. My point though, is that if you don’t have draconian rules applied in the first place you won’t have teams literally going out of business. Whole system needs a rethink IMO.

Guest Grandad
6 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Even the current EFL Chairman has said Parachute Payments are wrong and it makes it difficult for clubs without to compete? Yet is overseeing disciplinary action against at least 3 championship clubs who are trying to compete? You couldn’t make it up?

Are we not talking about FFP now then?

Have we moved onto Parachute payments?

I stop for a quick coffee and I've lost all track of where we are

Guest Grandad
4 minutes ago, SettleForADraw said:

Agreed, post Wembley our spending has been daft. No one was complaining when we were getting into the play offs though? 

When we got to Wembley we lost £9m that year - taken over 3 years similar losses would have totalled £27m - well within the FFP guidelines. 

Which means we wouldn't have been embargoed (twice) or had to 'sell' the stadium to artificially bring us back into FFP guidelines (and save us from posting a £35m loss in one season). which is what leaves us at risk of potentially being relegated.

Edited by Grandad

Just now, SettleForADraw said:

Agreed, post Wembley our spending has been daft. No one was complaining when we were getting into the play offs though? We gambled, it didn’t pay off, that’s football. My point though, is that if you don’t have draconian rules applied in the first place you won’t have teams literally going out of business. Whole system needs a rethink IMO.

The rules were brought in to protect clubs from errant owners. Since they came in, many owners have took the pisss and dig into their deep pockets to hire expensive legal guidance. 

Playing devils advocate I do think there is a strong argument to just let clubs and owners just spend what they want. The fallout from that will be many, many clubs going bust. And then the EFL will get the blame for that as well. 

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Why are you obsessing over another club's chairman?

If we've done nothing wrong then quite simply anything and EVERYTHING he says can't hurt us and is 100% totally completely irrelevant isnt it?

The bad press that is stirred up does arguably damage our reputation and standing even if we are proven innocent

Mud really does stick..... look at the grief those across the city still get for the Tevez case 10 years later, we still get stick for what happened in the 60s

I would prefer our great club not to be involved in pushing the rules.,..god forbid breaking them

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Why are you obsessing over another club's chairman?

If we've done nothing wrong then quite simply anything and EVERYTHING he says can't hurt us and is 100% totally completely irrelevant isnt it?

I’m not obsessing over another clubs Chairman? He just seems to be the one who’s a wee bit mouthier than most? And as I put on another post the louder you are the more pressure you can assert on a case whether it’s justified or not?

And there are some fans on here already who are convinced we’re guilty anyway, so as always it’s a matter of opinion as always?

I just wish they would get on with it and sort the chuffing farce out, once and for all, then we can concentrate on the future.

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

The rules were brought in to protect clubs from errant owners. Since they came in, many owners have took the pisss and dig into their deep pockets to hire expensive legal guidance. 

Playing devils advocate I do think there is a strong argument to just let clubs and owners just spend what they want. The fallout from that will be many, many clubs going bust. And then the EFL will get the blame for that as well. 

But you wouldn’t need to spend what you wanted if there was a level playing field to start with!!! I’m all for a cap and taking the power away from player/agents but to berate Chansiri for merely trying to compete is nonsense.

Guest Grandad

Breeching FFP is effectively cheating

If Middlesborough and our situation was reversed and Chansiri was passionately hounding the governing body to sort Boro out - I'd be urging Chansiri to be all over it

And anybody that says otherwise is lying

6 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Are we not talking about FFP now then?

Have we moved onto Parachute payments?

I stop for a quick coffee and I've lost all track of where we are

You can’t conceivably have a conversation about P&S without bringing up parachute payments as the two are intrinsically linked? It’s why we and others have pushed the boat out to compete, is it not?

Just now, @owlstalk said:

How does that compute?

That literally makes no sense

Chairmen would still want to outspend each other 

Jesus. The next line in my reply literally says I’m all for a cap. Cap wages, cap transfer fees WORLDWIDE. But they won’t, will they? UEFA are as corrupt as they come and players in the top leagues have wayyyyyyy too much power. Something needs to be done. 

1 minute ago, Great Big Galaa said:

You can’t conceivably have a conversation about P&S without bringing up parachute payments as the two are intrinsically linked? It’s why we and others have pushed the boat out to compete, is it not?

Take parachute payments away entirely

Everyone starts on a level playing field 

Are you suggesting no chairmen would look to outspend the others to get promotion?

REALLY?

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Grandad
Just now, Great Big Galaa said:

So - why did we not get all the other clubs together and get the EFL to address parachute payments?

OR is it because as a club we would want parachute payments to protect us if we did get promoted - for when we got relegated again?

Don't assume because parachute payments make the table not level - that clubs dont want them.