Sheffield Wednesday vs Sheffield United at home

10 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Recognise two of the players. The feller clearing is Blunt Keeper Willie Foulkes and out on the left wing for us is Fred Spikesley.

And running the line is Dick van Dyke from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Haha 6

There's a very similar picture in 'Flying Over an Olive Grove'.  The Fred Spiksley story.    Says its the last derby at Olive Grove, 3rd Oct 1898.1-1 draw in front of an estimated 16,000.  Clubs didn't have to give official attendances out until 1926.  Hemmingfield scored for t'lads.

Very atmospheric photo.   

Was that the stand that was taken to Hillsboro and got replaced by the South stand in about 1914?

3 hours ago, Miffed said:

Anyone got any information about the game? What year, competition, score, scorers, attendance, etc...?

I have seen the picture before in black & white. It was our only derby win in the league at Olive Grove. A 1-0 victory in front of 15,000 with the goal scored by Bell. 

On second thought's i'll concede to Lincs Owl as Foulkes wasn't with the Blades 7/9/1895.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

1 hour ago, Lincs Owl said:

There's a very similar picture in 'Flying Over an Olive Grove'.  The Fred Spiksley story.    Says its the last derby at Olive Grove, 3rd Oct 1898.1-1 draw in front of an estimated 16,000.  Clubs didn't have to give official attendances out until 1926.  Hemmingfield scored for t'lads.

Very atmospheric photo.   

Was that the stand that was taken to Hillsboro and got replaced by the South stand in about 1914?

Yes the main stand at Olive Grove was moved to Owlerton when it was built in 1899 

Here's a photo from 1909 showing it where the current South stand is. Not on a happy day though, trounced by Middlesbrough.

Hillsborough 1909.jpg

23 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Yes the main stand at Olive Grove was moved to Owlerton when it was built in 1899 

Here's a photo from 1909 showing it where the current South stand is. Not on a happy day though, trounced by Middlesbrough.

Hillsborough 1909.jpg

Fascinating photo.  Don't think I've seen it before.

Is it from a book?

1 hour ago, Lincs Owl said:

Very atmospheric photo.   

Someone has gone to a lot of trouble on that photo, as you say very atmospheric.

25 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Fascinating photo.  Don't think I've seen it before.

Is it from a book?

I found it on t'interweb a while ago. 

Don't know where it was from. It's got the players names on it though apart from Bloomer its hard to make them out.