BREAKING NEWS - Owls confirm return to training on Monday

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 15.38.35.jpg

Garry Monk has confirmed the Owls are set to return to duty with phased training groups from Monday next week.

The Wednesday camp has been dormant since the country was placed into lockdown in late March but the first shoots of recovery are on the horizon following government and EFL guidance.

Monk said: “That’s what I am planning, that’s what we’ve been told by the EFL. Phase one has been allowed and we are waiting for phase two to be signed off. I’ve seen the Premier League has been told their players can go to phase two, we’re still waiting for that official confirmation but it looks like we will get that this week.

“We will have to wait for phase three, which is normal training, and obviously if we can’t get to that point then we can’t complete the season. But we had a Championship managers’ meeting and the desire is to get the season completed if we possibly can.”

Like all clubs around the country, Wednesday are set to return under the most stringent of guidelines to ensure coronavirus is kept at bay.

Monk explained: “One of the protocols that should be signed off this week is that before we return on the 25th everyone will be tested. That’s all players and all staff, we will all be tested. That’s part of the protocol before we can go back to training in small groups.

“We’ve been keeping the players updated all the way through this process and this is the first time we’ve had guidance that we can come back. I spoke to all the players last night on a Zoom call last night and talked them through what will happen.

“There were a few questions on the testing and the protocols but there was no talk on reservations in terms of anyone expressing a desire not to return.

The players are human beings. They have the same concerns as everyone else, the same issues, and if a certain player feels there is a risk to themselves or their families then you have to understand that and consider that, I think that’s the same for everyone.

“That conversation hasn’t taken place yet but if it does then I am sure we will do right by that player of that member of staff. We will cross that bridge if and when we come to it.”

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2020/may/owls-set-for-monday-return/

Owlstalk Shop

How long before we don't have a fully fit squad, I am betting the first few days Lee and Luongo will pick up knocks ruling them out until 2025. Bannan will be carrying an injury (the reason used why he only plays one half of the pitch), Hutch and Westwood will have injuries cough cough not allowed to train.

It would be nice to think every member of the playing staff is allowed to show if they should be in the first 11, instead of reverting back to the 11 that under perform game in game out pre Co-Vid.

I cannot see this happening though.

23 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 15.38.35.jpg

Garry Monk has confirmed the Owls are set to return to duty with phased training groups from Monday next week.

The Wednesday camp has been dormant since the country was placed into lockdown in late March but the first shoots of recovery are on the horizon following government and EFL guidance.

Monk said: “That’s what I am planning, that’s what we’ve been told by the EFL. Phase one has been allowed and we are waiting for phase two to be signed off. I’ve seen the Premier League has been told their players can go to phase two, we’re still waiting for that official confirmation but it looks like we will get that this week.

“We will have to wait for phase three, which is normal training, and obviously if we can’t get to that point then we can’t complete the season. But we had a Championship managers’ meeting and the desire is to get the season completed if we possibly can.”

Like all clubs around the country, Wednesday are set to return under the most stringent of guidelines to ensure coronavirus is kept at bay.

Monk explained: “One of the protocols that should be signed off this week is that before we return on the 25th everyone will be tested. That’s all players and all staff, we will all be tested. That’s part of the protocol before we can go back to training in small groups.

“We’ve been keeping the players updated all the way through this process and this is the first time we’ve had guidance that we can come back. I spoke to all the players last night on a Zoom call last night and talked them through what will happen.

“There were a few questions on the testing and the protocols but there was no talk on reservations in terms of anyone expressing a desire not to return.

The players are human beings. They have the same concerns as everyone else, the same issues, and if a certain player feels there is a risk to themselves or their families then you have to understand that and consider that, I think that’s the same for everyone.

“That conversation hasn’t taken place yet but if it does then I am sure we will do right by that player of that member of staff. We will cross that bridge if and when we come to it.”

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2020/may/owls-set-for-monday-return/

Can anyone tell me who the player is stood next to the training dummy as I've never seen him before?

1 minute ago, SouthStand75 said:

What concerns me is we have a lot of players out of contract at the end of June. What happens if they reject the offer of an extended contract, we will be left in the poo. 

Mad as it sounds I can't see ANY players turning that down right now when the future is so uncertain for anyone/everyone

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Mad as it sounds I can't see ANY players turning that down right now when the future is so uncertain for anyone/everyone

I agree, some players will be thankful of a few months extra pay before they try and get employed at another team which may be unlikely due to financial constraints. 

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Only reservation is that there's probably only Fletcher, Fox and Uroghide that are going to get new deals, so even though you're right on one hand. On the other hand would you expect any players knowing their future more than likely lies elsewhere to risk getting injured. For crying out loud, they've hardly put their bodies on the line in the winter, how can you expect them to do so in the summer?

43 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I think some players may be more concerned about finding a new club than a short extension.. For some they might find a new club willing to take them on from 1st July.  They may not want to risk getting injured.

I see several staff/players have tested positive in the prem..  what I want to know is will teams be expected to still play if they have one or a number of players self isolating..  A return to normal training and if one catches it then it could quickly spread to others.  Hardly seems fair if one team has half thier players self isolating.

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

We are talking about footballers here-not the sharpest at the best of times. Remember delivering and fitting Gary Speed’s new TV in the 90’s, shortly before he was linked to us. Tried explaining to him and his missus the would need a scart lead the link it to the other systems that they had. His missus kept saying “what’s a skirt lead”. He just stood there and did not attempt to correct her. flippers wouldn’t let us wear shoe covers either, insisting that we carry the beast of a tele in socked feet and did not give us a tip! 

Edited by airborne_rat_of_s6

Guest Kagoshimaowl
6 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Can anyone tell me who the player is stood next to the training dummy as I've never seen him before?

Which one is the dummy?

7 hours ago, SouthStand75 said:

What concerns me is we have a lot of players out of contract at the end of June. What happens if they reject the offer of an extended contract, we will be left in the poo. 

Does anyone know if all the lads out of contract and on loan like Hutch, Fletch, Forestieri and Wickham are training with us?

What would be our likely starting 11 and subs if we restart sometime in July?

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

If you’d made as much money out of the game as players like Fletcher and Forestieri would you risk signing a short term deal when you could potentially get injured and then lose out on a 1-2 year deal somewhere?

I would imagine their agents would be steering them away from signing any short term deals and telling them to wait for at least a 1 year deal

2 hours ago, SouthStand75 said:

Yet again we face players having all The power. They will demand decent wages with a new contract or will look at their other options and we are left to play the reserves with a potential points deduction happening. Suddenly I want the season to be null and void. 

It’ll be different for each player. I’d have thought someone like Pelupessy would be happy to sign a short term extension to see the season out because he won’t have that many offers in from elsewhere. I wouldn’t say he had much power at all.

But Fletcher and Forestieri are likely to have other offers of at least a 1 year deal. And they’re both at a stage in their career where the next contract they sign could be their last one so would want longer than a couple of months to see the season out.

If Wednesday were to offer players like Fletcher and Forestieri deals just to see out the season, how much would we offer and how much would they want?