Trevor Francis opens up on being sacked by Wednesday

Just now, DJMortimer said:

No one can doubt that Francis lost it after the first couple of years. How did he go from signing the likes of Walker, Bright, Waddle and Warhurst who all made the squad better to Nolan, Coleman, Atherton etc?

He did sign some great players. No doubt he had that pull because of his standing in the game, much like Bryan Robson at Middlesbrough

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Pleat inherited Francis complete MESS instead of inheriting a class, winning squad like Francis did from Big Ron

So which experienced top class managers were available in the summer of 1991, who'd have been willing to join a club which had just been promoted to the top flight? 

Francis did sign some dross after the cup finals, but to be fair he did also sign the likes of Waddle, Warhurst, Bright, Bart-Williams and Walker. 

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Owen Morrison would be a club legend if he'd scored 50 goals a season during his time here.

See how that kind of logic works?

Francis took us to a title challenge (nominally) and both major cup finals, not narrowly missing out on promotion to the National League.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

No one can doubt that Francis lost it after the first couple of years. How did he go from signing the likes of Walker, Bright, Waddle and Warhurst who all made the squad better to Nolan, Coleman, Atherton etc?

Just look at the names of the players and their status when we bought these players. He was clearly shopping in a different market after a while. I'm not saying he didn't make mistakes and I definitely think his time was up but from buying current internationals we moved into buying journeymen. 

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

Just look at the names of the players and their status when we bought these players. He was clearly shopping in a different market after a while. I'm not saying he didn't make mistakes and I definitely think his time was up but from buying current internationals we moved into buying journeymen. 

Absolutely. Like I said earlier, the financial requirements of staying up there, even back then, were beyond us in the long run. Before long we would have either naturally fallen back to our more 'natural' level or combusted in the attempt to keep up.

4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

So which experienced top class managers were available in the summer of 1991, who'd have been willing to join a club which had just been promoted to the top flight? 

Francis did sign some dross after the cup finals, but to be fair he did also sign the likes of Waddle, Warhurst, Bright, Bart-Williams and Walker. 

Then mis-managed the players, signed some absolute dross, started on a downhill journey, and got fired after we got BATTTTTERED by Nottingham Forest at home (remind me how many did they score? seven?) whilst our fans were screaming for his head throughout.

It has taken a whole generation to recover from the mess Francis caused

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Owen Morrison would be a club legend if he'd scored 50 goals a season during his time here.

See how that kind of logic works?

Well, no. Because you say you judge TF solely on the position he left us in. So by that logic even if we'd won the league under him, you'd still judge him a failure because things went downhill after that, like they did for Ranieri at Leicester, for example. 

12 minutes ago, Stoop said:

Should have gone for Dalglish before he went to Blackburn 

He wouldn't have come here, he was traumatised by the disaster. He only joined Blackburn because they were offering silly money and an unprecedented transfer kitty. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Then mis-managed the players, signed some absolute dross, started on a downhill journey, and got fired after we got BATTTTTERED by Nottingham Forest at home (remind me how many did they score? seven?) whilst our fans were screaming for his head throughout.

It has taken a whole generation to recover from the mess Francis caused

So which experienced top class managers were available in the summer of 1991, who'd have been willing to join a club which had just been promoted to the top flight? 

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Question for all our readers : How many players have you heard come out and say what a great manager/man-manager Trevor Francis was?

The ‘mole’ had something to say. Can’t remember it being complimentary though? 🙄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alanharper said:

So which experienced top class managers were available in the summer of 1991, who'd have been willing to join a club which had just been promoted to the top flight? 

My memory is not that great so honestly can't remember/no idea.

What I never subscribe to though is when people say 'But who would come to Sheffield Wednesday?' when the answer is clearly many MANY people

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Wednesday made a fatal mistake when giving the managers job to Francis.

He was a Wednesday player, had an awful record in management, and didn't have the experience or skills to manage our club.

If we'd made the right decision at the time we could have been long time successes in the Premier League

Appointing Francis wasn't just a bad business decision, it was fatal for our ability to compete at the highest level.

God knows when we will actually recover from it

So you're happy to back the deadbeat we currently have in the managers position but slate Francis at every opportunity. Someone who's record stands no comparison to Trevor Francis whilst he was here.

We'll certainly never recover from it whilst we have the current chairman and manager.

Dumb & Dumber.

32 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Absolutely. Like I said earlier, the financial requirements of staying up there, even back then, were beyond us in the long run. Before long we would have either naturally fallen back to our more 'natural' level or combusted in the attempt to keep up.

35 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

So you are saying, it is because the finances were not available anymore, there could be another reason for part of that scenario.

It might (i emphasise on the might) have only took a little more finance to reach the pinnacle we were after.

But if (i emphasise on the if) all the money for the club, had stayed at the club, we could have done a lot better for far longer.

Can open, worms everywhere with that one, as i have tried to inform you numerous times in other threads Ricky (don't ask me to post anything). :biggrin:

Edited by MAL

26 minutes ago, alanharper said:

He wouldn't have come here, he was traumatised by the disaster. He only joined Blackburn because they were offering silly money and an unprecedented transfer kitty. 

In a documentary about Hillsborough a couple of years back didn’t he say something about not been able to go back, failing to mention he’s been back about 6 times as a manager 

9 minutes ago, MAL said:

So you are saying, it is because the finances were not available anymore, there could be another reason for part of that scenario.

It might (i emphasise on the might) have only took a little more finance to reach the pinnacle we were after.

But if (i emphasise on the if) all the money for the club, had stayed at the club, we could have done a lot better for far longer.

Can open, worms everywhere with that one, as i have tried to inform you numerous times in other threads Ricky (don't ask me to post anything). :biggrin:

I don't recall you implying something as direct as that. 

Guest LondonOwl313
8 minutes ago, Stoop said:

In a documentary about Hillsborough a couple of years back didn’t he say something about not been able to go back, failing to mention he’s been back about 6 times as a manager 

There's probably a difference between spending 2 hours there once a year for an away team and being there week in week out, plus midweek for training too sometimes