Who remembers football reports on Radio Hallam?

Back in them days they were no live commentary, they gave about 3 updates live from grounds each half which lasted about 30 seconds each time, having Hallam as well as Sheffield it helped though we spent half of game flicking from one station to other trying to catch a live report. 

Edited by bradowl

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Who in particular when you say current lot?

I'd say Giddings is the worst on Radio Sheffield.  How many times do you hear him say "also, too, as well" - drives me up the wall.  That is just NOT the kind of English you expect a (supposed) professional broadcaster to say once let alone, over and over again.  Grrrrr

6 hours ago, Kevan said:

I'd say Giddings is the worst on Radio Sheffield.  How many times do you hear him say "also, too, as well" - drives me up the wall.  That is just NOT the kind of English you expect a (supposed) professional broadcaster to say once let alone, over and over again.  Grrrrr

‘What say you’

That's exactly how I remember it Bradowl from the early seventies.  Around the grounds on about 15 mins then 30 mins then at half time ,same in second half to full time on both Radio Sheffield and Hallam. Later, think it moved onto actual commentary of a Wednesday or United away match in the second half only.

Usede to work at The Star when Hallam started, late 1974. Stuart Linnell was a good reporter, bumped into him a few times at Wednesday games.  Hallam took over part of the Star building which was next to the classified advertising department which just happened to consist of about 40 young very attractive ladies. I was in display advertising and the coffee machine was in their department. No need to tell you that most of the lads in our office became addicted to coffee. The machine was at the back of their office and it'd take an age to go and get a cup. Just saying like,

On 18/05/2020 at 19:57, adelphi1867 said:

Didn't radio Hallam broadcast the 1st Football phone in?

As far as I know Bob Jackson introduced the UK’s 1st ever football phone in on Radio Sheffield, I believe that there was no praise allowed when it was first introduced, just a grumble. As I recall Radio Hallam introduced their own version some years later called “Rate em or Slate em”. Not sure of the year but what I do recall is that it was around the time that two Wednesday fans regularly called Praise or Grumble, namely Ricardo and Rahael (forgive the spelling). I remember switching between the two phone ins and would often hear Ricardo having a good moan on both. 

• Like 1

On 24/05/2020 at 10:38, ken52 said:

Usede to work at The Star when Hallam started, late 1974. Stuart Linnell was a good reporter, bumped into him a few times at Wednesday games.  Hallam took over part of the Star building which was next to the classified advertising department which just happened to consist of about 40 young very attractive ladies. I was in display advertising and the coffee machine was in their department. No need to tell you that most of the lads in our office became addicted to coffee. The machine was at the back of their office and it'd take an age to go and get a cup. Just saying like,

Wasn't sure which channel it was on but i do remember the little ditty "Sport with Stuart Linnell, the best in sporting news"

As others have said I remember a minute or so visit to each of the Sheffielda clubs matches with even shorter visits to the other local clubs matches around every 15 minutes just for the latest updates.

On 24/05/2020 at 10:38, ken52 said:

Just checking, you’re not Ken Betts, worked at Sheffield Telegraph in display ads in 1991?

Sorry if not!

On 25/05/2020 at 12:28, Pablo Bonvin said:

I remember them reading the half time scores out with The Hustle by Van McCoy in the background.

But then again, I do remember some really useless things.

That would have been Saturday  sport with Alan biggs 1978