Another Sheffield Wednesday pub bites the dust

6 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

The witch from Grantham, brought an end to the Brewery owned pubs to bring in so called competition, and in the next breath, sadly not her last, allowed Pub groups to purchase them and create just the same position.

Maybe that is how she became a Millionaire.

I was offered my local Pubs tenancy, to buy, when I retired, but I told the then landlord that a cannot see the sense in buying a rent.

7 years and 40 days now and I've celebrated every single day.

• Like 1

You can say that Nev, but look at the range of beers you have now compared to 40 years ago. Think there were only about 4 breweries back then.

sad to see this one go, but I I think it’s inevitable and one of many. Tenants are going to find this lock down will destroy them. Sadly most are tied into six months notice, so can’t even get out without huge financial penalties. Really sorry for them, must be soul destroying.

19 hours ago, Grez Bez said:

It needs purchasing from the landlords and getting out of that PLC trap. I understand this really an option.

It's got a lot of potential this pub. The beer garden is amazing and there's not that many pubs that side of the ground.

It needs a kick of paint and a good bit of promotion

If the Wadsley Bridge station reopens then they could start a rail bar crawl with other boozers on route.

This. It needs someone with money but this option would be brilliant.

To be honest I think the whole pub business from breweries/companies etc has to change in light of whats happening in the world. The price of everything has to be dropped (as stated rents, beer, buy in's upgrades and freedoms) otherwise there aren't going to be any left.