Another Sheffield Wednesday pub bites the dust

10 minutes ago, Grez Bez said:

It needs purchasing from the landlords and getting out of that PLC trap. I understand this really an option.

It's got a lot of potential this pub. The beer garden is amazing and there's not that many pubs that side of the ground.

It needs a kick of paint and a good bit of promotion

If the Wadsley Bridge station reopens then they could start a rail bar crawl with other boozers on route.

A bit like the ones in West Yorkshire and down south

3 hours ago, cross owl said:

That's the problem , a lad I used to work with one of his mates took a trouble pub on , cheap to rent so thought , see what happens . He put a lot into it , got rid of the trouble , got decent patrons back in , started doing food and it was doing well . The landlords literally trippled the rent as soon as they could . He told them he didn't mind paying more as it was doing well but he wasn't paying that much as he would be on less than the bar staff . They said take it or leave it so he left . Pub back to being boarded up earning nothing . They'd rather have nothing at all than charging a reasonable amount . Its totally bizarre to me . I've spent loads in that pub going between there the gate and travellers , this was the late eighties and early nineties though :ghoulguy:

The witch from Grantham, brought an end to the Brewery owned pubs to bring in so called competition, and in the next breath, sadly not her last, allowed Pub groups to purchase them and create just the same position.

Maybe that is how she became a Millionaire.

I was offered my local Pubs tenancy, to buy, when I retired, but I told the then landlord that a cannot see the sense in buying a rent.

30 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

The witch from Grantham, brought an end to the Brewery owned pubs to bring in so called competition, and in the next breath, sadly not her last, allowed Pub groups to purchase them and create just the same position.

Maybe that is how she became a Millionaire.

I was offered my local Pubs tenancy, to buy, when I retired, but I told the then landlord that a cannot see the sense in buying a rent.

I'm not getting into political debate - but the breweries were forced to sell their public houses and not their actual breweries. This in effect made many jobless and homeless.

The same problem you say? Not really as the managed houses that did better subsidised the lower performing ones. Don't let facts get in the way of an anti-maggie rant

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 16.18.00.jpg

Ah yeah this one

Not been in there for absolute years

Them stone built houses on right further up hill were a bloody nightmare to put roofs on. :duntmatter:

I still get flashbacks all these years later. 

David Hirst bought the one at this bottom end. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lanzaroteowl said:

First left under the bridge going out of town.

50 yards up on your right.

The Fox is a real good boozer on matchday.

It's not a bad walk down but a real barstool walking back up the hill after a loss.

Edited by zzmdu

to be honest I don't know how most pubs survived pre covid , many what used to be heaving in 1990s early 2000s now are dead even on fri sat nights , some get the odd function ,wedding party etc what gives them a bit of cash but how they survive selling a few pints ive no idea.  for them to survive now the gov would have to pay there rent/lease or something daft. there must be loads of other businesses in the area what make a fair packet on match days what is the difference between a viable business and one what cant survive . the chippies for instance they make a bomb on match days but I doubt non match days they would be that viable. 

4 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

to be honest I don't know how most pubs survived pre covid , many what used to be heaving in 1990s early 2000s now are dead even on fri sat nights , some get the odd function ,wedding party etc what gives them a bit of cash but how they survive selling a few pints ive no idea.  for them to survive now the gov would have to pay there rent/lease or something daft. there must be loads of other businesses in the area what make a fair packet on match days what is the difference between a viable business and one what cant survive . the chippies for instance they make a bomb on match days but I doubt non match days they would be that viable. 

Yeah I know what you mean

Pubs are hardly packed these days

Owlstalk Shop

6 hours ago, cross owl said:

That's the problem , a lad I used to work with one of his mates took a trouble pub on , cheap to rent so thought , see what happens . He put a lot into it , got rid of the trouble , got decent patrons back in , started doing food and it was doing well . The landlords literally trippled the rent as soon as they could . He told them he didn't mind paying more as it was doing well but he wasn't paying that much as he would be on less than the bar staff . They said take it or leave it so he left . Pub back to being boarded up earning nothing . They'd rather have nothing at all than charging a reasonable amount . Its totally bizarre to me . I've spent loads in that pub going between there the gate and travellers , this was the late eighties and early nineties though :ghoulguy:

Uncle ran two pubs during separate tenures and each time the same. Doing well and then change the charges for everything. Breweries are absolute arseholes with their pricing strategies. No wonder no one can afford to drink in pubs or run them. 

6 hours ago, cross owl said:

Same thing happened to a mate if mine when he took on the Saddle on West Street in the 80s. Turned the place around increased the profits and the brewery fleeced them. Nice little business model for the brewery. Put in a manager who increases profits and they say kerching.

2 hours ago, bradowl said:

Them stone built houses on right further up hill were a bloody nightmare to put roofs on. :duntmatter:

I still get flashbacks all these years later. 

David Hirst bought the one at this bottom end. 

I thought the club owned quite a few of those houses. 

2 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Uncle ran two pubs during separate tenures and each time the same. Doing well and then change the charges for everything. Breweries are absolute arseholes with their pricing strategies. No wonder no one can afford to drink in pubs or run them. 

The issue is more around tax which forces the breweries hands with regards to pricing 

The NBI was the pub we used to drink in before the game. I really can't remember why we ended up going there in the first place, but we eventually learned to get our arrival times right so we could park at the pub. We got to know a lot of the regulars in there and the staff and it just became the pub we went to.

It was packed for matches, but I often wondered how busy it was on non-match days. Probably not very, mainly due to its location.

The weird thing is that I cracked a joke last week about the pub closing down to a few friends, due to the OS saying our next match was in 1000+ days. I said we won't be meeting at the NBI as it closed in 2022. Looks like I got that wrong by a couple of years.

Nostalgic I know, but I'll miss going there as it sort of felt like part of the ritual.

BREWERIES: taxes, supermarkets and home drinking are killing our local pubs. 

ALSO BREWERIES:

10 hours ago, Nero said:

8k is the buy in and then its 10k per year to rent it. After 5 years, if you do well, they raise the rent. 

You have to buy beers from the landlords - Greene King - usually at way above market rate.

No way is this a viable business in the state its in. 

Would be different if it was a lease.