Another Sheffield Wednesday pub bites the dust

EYSpdNWWoAIDuVg.jpg

Looks like we've lost another pre/post match pub folks.

Sad times as the New Bridge Inn on Penistone Road North has published the following on their facebook page

16th May at 19.05 ·
"It is with deep regret that I have to let all the loyal customers know that as of Monday the 18th, the New Bridge will be boarded up for the foreseeable future. I have enjoyed my time there and would like to wish all, the very best and keep safe. Shaun and Elaine"

Owlstalk Shop

55 minutes ago, FroggattOwls said:

Available for £8k

https://www.findmypub.com/properties/view/25469

has a massive back garden which would be perfect for pizzas etc ! 

Its a tenancy.

8k is the buy in and then its 10k per year to rent it. After 5 years, if you do well, they raise the rent.  You have to buy beers from the landlords - Greene King - usually at way above market rate.

No way is this a viable business in the state its in. 

Would be different if it was a lease.

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

EYSpdNWWoAIDuVg.jpg

Sad times as the New Bridge Inn on Penistone Road North has published the following on their facebook page

16th May at 19.05 ·
"It is with deep regret that I have to let all the loyal customers know that as of Monday the 18th, the New Bridge will be boarded up for the foreseeable future. I have enjoyed my time there and would like to wish all, the very best and keep safe. Shaun and Elaine"

As an old Wadsley Bridge regular it is sad to see that so many pubs are now lost forever. The last time I went in there was the Gate reunion a few years ago and it was a great night after a full day on the ale in the Jubilee 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nero said:

Its a tenancy.

8k is the buy in and then its 10k per year to rent it. After 5 years, if you do well, they raise the rent.  You have to buy beers from the landlords - Greene King - usually at way above market rate.

No way is this a viable business in the state its in. 

Would be different if it was a lease.

That's the problem , a lad I used to work with one of his mates took a trouble pub on , cheap to rent so thought , see what happens . He put a lot into it , got rid of the trouble , got decent patrons back in , started doing food and it was doing well . The landlords literally trippled the rent as soon as they could . He told them he didn't mind paying more as it was doing well but he wasn't paying that much as he would be on less than the bar staff . They said take it or leave it so he left . Pub back to being boarded up earning nothing . They'd rather have nothing at all than charging a reasonable amount . Its totally bizarre to me . I've spent loads in that pub going between there the gate and travellers , this was the late eighties and early nineties though :ghoulguy:

46 minutes ago, cross owl said:

That's the problem , a lad I used to work with one of his mates took a trouble pub on , cheap to rent so thought , see what happens . He put a lot into it , got rid of the trouble , got decent patrons back in , started doing food and it was doing well . The landlords literally trippled the rent as soon as they could . He told them he didn't mind paying more as it was doing well but he wasn't paying that much as he would be on less than the bar staff . They said take it or leave it so he left . Pub back to being boarded up earning nothing . They'd rather have nothing at all than charging a reasonable amount . Its totally bizarre to me . I've spent loads in that pub going between there the gate and travellers , this was the late eighties and early nineties though :ghoulguy:

Its the business model. Greene King are a PLC, its about shareholder value. 10k per year in rent. Land appreciates as an asset. Profit on the beer sales is a bonus but very lucrative. They can always find some poor people who think they can make a living running a pub tenancy. Its dogs work as well.

Sell it off for flats when it becomes the final option.

This pub would work if it was bought by someone like Kane who owns the Old House, Riverside, British Oak, etc etc. Or if someone like Steph and Kev from the NBT.

It probably wont work these days as a trad boozer.

Yes, hard to disagree with the sentiments expressed here. Pub companies tend to see pubs as property assets and can often make more money from converting them to alternative use - eg flats.

Im not very familiar with the pub in question here, but, what makes it even more galling in this case is that the pub company in question - Greene King - are now wholly owned by a Hong Kong conglomerate and no longer has any UK shareholders.

• Thanks 1

Guest The Claw

Let's not forget whilst your in you also pay:

a) rates

b) gas

c) electric

and whatever else is chucked in the pub companies then take the wee wee, it costs them nothing to run the risk is yours good luck!

33 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

Yes, hard to disagree with the sentiments expressed here. Pub companies tend to see pubs as property assets and can often make more money from converting them to alternative use - eg flats.

Im not very familiar with the pub in question here, but, what makes it even more galling in this case is that the pub company in question - Greene King - are now wholly owned by a Hong Kong conglomerate and no longer has any UK shareholders.

Yep. Its got 1799 on its crest. Greene King was an independent brewer for 200 years. Now its a cash cow for corporate greed.

5 minutes ago, Nero said:

Yep. Its got 1799 on its crest. Greene King was an independent brewer for 200 years. Now its a cash cow for corporate greed.

Bring into the mix Enterprise Inns, Punch Taverns and the Government created a mess out of dividing the big breweries up at the time. There was one thing that managed houses got and that was looked after by their respective employers - Not anymore I'm afraid 

Used to go there on match days in the 90's.  The guy on the car park gate had to recognise you before he let you drive in.  Great pub, great memories.  Catered for home and away fans, never saw any bother in there.

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

EYSpdNWWoAIDuVg.jpg

16th May at 19.05 ·

My pub of choice coming off afters or Mornings when I worked at Achesons 73-83. Lol our press operator on B-Forming was a larger than life regular with a Beard that was even bigger. A good few of our crew would congregate in there and if we got a Saturday morning in there it would be pre match if the Owls were at home. Hope Lol is still around and doing well. Fondly remembered !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kew Owl said:

Same happened to Fuller's last year—bought by Asahi. Don't have anything against Asahi per se but it's sad to see something like beer and pubs going the way of global capital.

Guest Grez Bez

It needs purchasing from the landlords and getting out of that PLC trap. I understand this really an option.

It's got a lot of potential this pub. The beer garden is amazing and there's not that many pubs that side of the ground.

It needs a kick of paint and a good bit of promotion

If the Wadsley Bridge station reopens then they could start a rail bar crawl with other boozers on route.

8 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

There seriously needs to be another pub between Wadsley Bridge and the ground.

Thought the new development in the car park would have one.

Needs to be a drive to pub doing food on non match days.

We had the misfortune of visiting the Pheasant just round the corner from here last year, it was horrific. We had been in about 10 years before, the change was quite staggering. We had been for a walk up Grenoside, and on the walk back to Hillsborough, it started peeing it down so went to the nearest pub, the Pheasant. They had one lager, and one beer, the place was in darkness apart from two tellies, one was showing Soccer Saturday (think it was international break or we would have been at the game) there was this really pleasant couple (not) with a young kid and a mangy dog, effing and jeffing, covered in a pile of betting slips, warm half drunk pint pots and pork scratchings. The other tele had the racing on, watched by one old woman in darkness. The carpet was squelchy, there was no soap in the bogs, and I think the dog had fleas.

8/10.

1 minute ago, royalowlisback said:

We had the misfortune of visiting the Pheasant just round the corner from here last year, it was horrific. We had been in about 10 years before, the change was quite staggering. We had been for a walk up Grenoside, and on the walk back to Hillsborough, it started peeing it down so went to the nearest pub, the Pheasant. They had one lager, and one beer, the place was in darkness apart from two tellies, one was showing Soccer Saturday (think it was international break or we would have been at the game) there was this really pleasant couple (not) with a young kid and a mangy dog, effing and jeffing, covered in a pile of betting slips, warm half drunk pint pots and pork scratchings. The other tele had the racing on, watched by one old woman in darkness. The carpet was squelchy, there was no soap in the bogs, and I think the dog had fleas.

8/10.

Where's the Pheasant?

Owlstalk Shop