Why James Beattie didn’t come with Garry Monk

Large.jpg

Bullen, who was speaking to Pars TV in a lengthy interview about his time at Scottish club Dunfermline, said: "Garry Monk came in on his own when nine times out of ten a new manager will come in at least with his assistant.

"At the time Garry had just left Birmingham. His assistant (Pep Clotet) had taken over at Birmingham.

"His normal number three, right-hand man, is a lad called James Beattie who played in the Premier League.

"But James had been put on gardening leave and still had two years left of his contract.

"Wednesday weren't willing to pay compensation and Birmingham weren't willing to release the lad so he's been twiddling his thumbs.

"He's still getting paid by Birmingham, which is mad.

"An opportunity could have come up to let the lad go, Birmingham would have saved money and the lad could have been involved.

"But at the moment it's Garry, myself, Neil Thompson and Nicky Weaver.

"We've got a good group of lads that work together, but I wouldn't be surprised if at some point James Beattie joined the group."

Dom Howson's Article Here 👉https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/james-beattie-sheffield-wednesday-arrival-18264958?

Owlstalk Shop

If he seriously thinks our coaching set-up is good then that says it all about how sh!t we are and if this doesn’t change, we’re going nowhere but down? I know I keep banging this drum but the problem is as much the coaching as the players IMO?

Guest wilyfox

Must say, I do find the concept of compensation for assistants ridiculous. I can understand a financial package for nicking someone's main man, but not his sidekicks. Generally, it's a given they're allowed to follow if they want to. 

1 minute ago, mogbad said:

So we demand compensation from Newcastle for Bruce & his 2 assistants but won't pay compensation to Birmingham for one of Monks coaches.

Bruce was stil wanted at Wednesday tho ! Beattie isn’t wanted at brum that’s why he is on gardening leave. Totally different situations 

23 minutes ago, mogbad said:

So we demand compensation from Newcastle for Bruce & his 2 assistants but won't pay compensation to Birmingham for one of Monks coaches.

depends how much it would have cost us for Beattie, maybe the numbers didn’t stack up. Football is a business you know. 

31 minutes ago, mogbad said:

They probably wanted 2 years and would not negotiate but....but hey don't let that get in the way of having a go a the club...imagine if we had paid 2 years some would have said waste of money for an ex pig..

• Like 1

Just now, Harrysgame said:

They probably wanted 2 years and would not negotiate but....but hey don't let that get in the way of having a go a the club...imagine if we had paid 2 years some would have said waste of money for an ex pig..

come on now, didn’t you know money grows on trees and it can just be spunked away 24/7? 

I don't get the Beatie situation.

Gardening leave is intended to apply for your notice period. The implies these back-room staff don't have notice periods, but surely they can resign under employment law.

How is it possible for an employer to control your employment for the length of the contract without any severance/resignation protection. 

It's also odd that Birmingham would want to continue paying someone for two although he's technically left his job. If they have an issue with Beattie, sue him for breach of contract. It's all very petty, and presumably Brum's conditions only apply to championship rivals?

I wonder how much compensation Birmingham demanded.

It certainly seems to have put Chansiri off, and the nett result is now that Birmingham are saddled with paying a coach to sit at home doing nothing for a year or two.

Don’t see any other clubs rushing to pay compensation to sign him up in the current circumstances.

Madness.

If Monk is staying (and looks the case), the coaching staff need as much work as the playing staff in terms of recruitment. 

They might be good people, but achieved nothing if being brutally honest, therefore not very effective and needs change to deliver different results.  If DC is going to stick with Monk, needs to support him, which means the players he wants and coaching set up. 

20 minutes ago, gillyno9 said:

Beatie joining is bad news in my personal opinion, as it means DC is planning to keep Monk in charge. 😢😢😢

Have you not considered that one of the reasons Monk has struggled is because he doesn't have any coaches? 

I'm not sure I'd keep Monk on, but surely it would be an improvement if he had coaches.