On this day in 2016 : Play-off semi final second leg

In all my years following the club we have had some truly dreadful teams who would regularly drive you to despair. But I still don't think I've ever seen us dominated like we were in the first half hour or so of that game. We could easily have been five goals down before we got that lucky equaliser that should have been disallowed. It settled down after that, but Brighton fans must have come away feeling utterly robbed.

• Haha 1

This night will live long in the memory as an example of why fans are addicted to football. 

The first half an hour was the hardest watch I think I’ve experienced. It wasn’t healthy.

But the equaliser from nothing and watching brighton slowly fade despite a couple of chances for each side, plus some cynical fouls on and from Kayal. Was the other side of the coin, surreal and brilliant.

The playoffs are amazing, I love watching them whoever is playing.

Its annoying that this is now seen as our recent peak though, when at the time this was meant to be our free hit before we really built on it 

Best away day I've had. Wednesdayite bus down early, loads of time in the pub.

Bit pished but not enough not to take everything in. Celebrations right in front of me at the end were brilliant. Big Dave leading them.

Back on the bus and excited chatter all the way back about the final, got in at about 3am.

Brilliant.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

In all my years following the club we have had some truly dreadful teams who would regularly drive you to despair. But I still don't think I've ever seen us dominated like we were in the first half hour or so of that game. We could easily have been five goals down before we got that lucky equaliser that should have been disallowed. It settled down after that, but Brighton fans must have come away feeling utterly robbed.

Saw it coming and couldn't watch, thought we were destined to be the first club to blow a 2 goal first leg lead so went for a long walk without my phone.

Walked into a local pub after what seemed like an age and there was still half an hour left so went for another walk!

Having watched it back that night we certainly rode our luck and were a little fortunate with the goal but having one of the best keepers in the division wasn't luck. We had a great change to make it 2-1 just before half-time as well.

We calmed down second half and saw it through well in the end. Kayal could easily have had 3 yellow cards never mind the 1 he did get which would have made it easier.  

I don't think I've ever seen us more battered than the first half hour or so....and I've been watching Wednesday since the late 60's so I've seen us up against some great teams. What was amazing was that, despite both being booked in the first 10/15 minutes, Lees and Loovens managed to avoid giving a 'heart in the mouth' moment where I thought they would get sent off which was incredibly impressive given the onslaught. The Alamo must have been a walk in the park compared to what our defence had to endure. As an aside, it's always good to see the 'likeable' Knockeart on the losing side

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

And nearly went in at half time 2-1 up had Hooper scored a pretty easy header towards the end of the half if I remember right