Tom Lees talks about the EFL charges and the recent slump in form

Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 09.36.17.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday defender Tom Lees has talked about the charges against Sheffield Wednesday and whether it could be the reason behind the slump in recent form

Speaking to The Star, he said: “I don’t think so at all, and I’m not just saying that because it’s the ‘right’ answer, but if you think about what a player does, what they’re thinking about, it doesn’t really cross into their routine… The routine of a player is purely focused on how am I training every day, what’s my approach, my mentality, and preparing for the weekend.

“I personally, and I think the others would agree with me, when would you ever a sit down and say, ‘I wonder how the finances of the club are going?’.

"When there’s been talk of a points deduction, that’s nothing you can control, but that’s the only thing that would affect us – and you can’t live your life thinking about what ifs, and if anything that should spur you on because you need to have in the back of your mind that you need to have those points in the bag."

"Up to December we were in a very positive position, and suddenly there was a couple of nasty defeats," said Lees.

“Nothing got done differently, nothing changed, the only thing I can think of is that we had a couple of big defeats and we let it snowball and build into something bigger.

"You see it in moments where teams are winning and their confidence snowballs – I think it can be the same when you’re losing games."

Owlstalk Shop

Interestingly enough, when we had the HMRC business going on a few years ago, I looked at our results around the most pivotal times of those issues and if my memory isn't playing tricks, I think our form was generally better at those times. For the most part I suspect Lees is right and that players don't really think about those kinds of things that much, certainly not approaching or during games.

Think the truth is that the club started looking at contracts renewal at that time (Dawson swiftly took up but no one else). Probably apparent to a good proportion of the squad that they were not in GM’s plans. Fletcher’s absence showed what a big part he had paid. Results rapidly slipped and with it all confidence. Always been a set of fair-weather players who seem to be able to fall into a rut (end of CC and JL reigns) and not get themselves out.